Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2012 - Libya Special Weapons News
- With polls over, Libyans must focus on next steps of transition – UN envoy UN News Centre 18 Jul 2012 -- With the successful holding of elections earlier this month, the Libyan people are on their way toward the first peaceful and democratic transfer of power in the North African country, a top United Nations official said today, adding that the country must now agree on the formation of a new government and on the process for drawing up a new constitution.
- LIBYA: What the analysts are saying post elections IRIN 17 Jul 2012 -- The recently reported abduction of the president of Libya's Olympic Committee, Nabil Elalem, highlights the wobbly security situation in a country awash with arms and where a number of militias still appear to be above the law, but slowly, steps towards stability are being taken.
- Libya's Former Rebels Pose Challenge VOA 17 Jul 2012 -- The fighters who defeated Libya's Moammar Gadhafi last year now pose a challenge for the fledgling democracy they helped create. Many of them have refused to give up their weapons, demanding a series of laws to protect them.
- U.S. Official Anticipates Close Relations With Tripoli RFE/RL 14 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Deputy Secretary of State William Burns was in the Libyan capital for security talks following the country's historic elections.
- Security Council welcomes holding of elections in Libya UN News Centre 11 Jul 2012 -- The Security Council has welcomed the holding of Libya’s first national elections this past weekend.
- EGYPT-LIBYA: Misery for stranded refugees IRIN 11 Jul 2012 -- Salloum camp in western Egypt about 5km from the Libyan border is home to about 2,000 refugees, failed asylum seekers and third country nationals.
- Partial Vote Count Indicates Jibril Leads in Libya Election VOA 10 Jul 2012 -- Sources close to Libya's electoral commission are saying that a coalition of political parties led by former interim Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril is leading in 8 out of 13 of the country's electoral districts.
- Press Conference by Secretary-Generalís Special Representative on Libya Elections, 09 July 2012 United Nations 09 Jul 2012
- UN envoy praises Libyan election UN News Centre 09 Jul 2012 -- The top United Nations envoy in Libya said the country’s weekend election – its first free poll in almost half a century – was an “extraordinary achievement”.
- UN chief congratulates Libyan people on first free elections in almost five decades UN News Centre 09 Jul 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has congratulated the Libyan people for the national election, the country’s first free poll in almost half a century.
- UN Calls Libyan Election 'Extraordinary Achievement' VOA 09 Jul 2012 -- The top United Nations official in Libya has called Saturdayís election in that country an extraordinary achievement.
- International Monitors Praise Libyan Legislative Elections RFE/RL 09 Jul 2012 -- International officials and election monitors have hailed Libya's July 7 National Assembly elections.
- UN Ready to Cooperate with New Libyan Authorities - Chief RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2012 -- The United Nations is ready to cooperate with the new Libyan leadership for the sake of justice and reconciliation of Libyan nationals.
- Libyans Flock To Vote, Amid Reports Of Sabotage RFE/RL 07 Jul 2012 -- Libyans are voting for parliament as the country holds its first free vote in 60 years.
- Libyans Hold Emotional Multi-Party Election, First in 60 Years VOA 07 Jul 2012 -- Libyans filled with optimism went to the polls Saturday for their nation's first multi-party elections in 60 years. It was an emotional moment for people who have lived through 42 years of dictatorship and a bloody revolution.
- Ahead of weekend elections in Libya, UN envoy reiterates call for peaceful conduct UN News Centre 06 Jul 2012 -- On the eve of the elections to the National Congress in Libya, the top United Nations envoy to the country today urged all voters 'to exercise their hard-earned democratic right.'
- Secretary-General salutes Libyans ahead of first free elections in decades UN News Centre 05 Jul 2012 -- Ahead of Libya's first free elections in decades this weekend, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today saluted its people, and reaffirmed the support of the United Nations as the North African country progresses along the 'road to democracy.'
- Detained International Criminal Court Members Released in Libya RIA Novosti 03 Jul 2012 -- The Libyan authorities released four International Criminal Court staff members, including a Russian national.
- Four detained ICC staff members released in Libya UN News Centre 02 Jul 2012 -- Libyan authorities released the four International Criminal Court staff members who were detained in the country for nearly a month.
- ICC Staffers In Libya Released RFE/RL 02 Jul 2012 -- Libya has freed four International Criminal Court officials detained since June for visiting Muammar Qaddafi's captured son, Saif al-Islam.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list