Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2012 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Russian Missile Maker Lost $790 mln over Libya War RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2012 -- Russian air-launched missile maker Russian Tactical Missiles suffered a loss of $791.22 million worth of contracts with Libya in 2011 due to the civil war there.
- Ping Defends AU Libya Policy in Summit Opening Speech VOA 26 Jan 2012 -- African Union Commission Chairman Jean Ping has offered a defense of AU policy on Libya during an opening address to the continental summit underway in Addis Ababa.
- UN Worries Over Libya Militias RFE/RL 26 Jan 2012 -- United Nations officials say they are growing increasingly concerned over the activities of Libyan militias and people held in detention centers in the north African country.
- Libya facing challenging transition, but authorities striving to succeed UN News Centre 25 Jan 2012 -- Libya is going through a difficult transition, having inherited weak state institutions and an absence of political parties.
- Diplomat: New Libyan Clashes Due to Local Dispute VOA 25 Jan 2012 -- The UN's top diplomat in Libya, Ian Martin, confirmed that recent fighting in the town of Bani Walid was due to a local dispute.
- Libya's No. 2 Leader Resigns After Benghazi Anti-Government Riot VOA 22 Jan 2012 -- The deputy head of Libya's National Transitional Council has stepped down, a day after anti-government protesters stormed the ruling body's offices in the eastern city of Benghazi.
- Tons of Mustard Gas Remain Undestroyed in Libya RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2012 -- Some 11 metric tons of lethal mustard gas, also known as sulfur mustard or yperite, remain in existence in Libya.
- Libya: UN and Government sign status of mission agreement UN News Centre 10 Jan 2012 -- The United Nations and the Libyan authorities signed an agreement establishing the legal framework under which the UN mission will operate.
- Is Libya Sliding Toward Civil War? RFE/RL 05 Jan 2012 -- It's been more than two months since antiregime fighters captured and killed former Libyan dictator Muammar Qaddafi.
- Libya: UN official impressed by cities emerging from conflict UN News Centre 05 Jan 2012 -- A senior United Nations official has visited the Libyan cities of Bani Walid, Sirte and Misrata.
- The UK's contribution to freeing Libya UK MOD 05 Jan 2012 -- At its peak the UK had around 4,000 personnel, 37 aircraft and four ships committed to the operation to support Libyan civilians under threat from Colonel Gaddafi's regime.
- Protecting Libya’s heritage NATO 04 Jan 2012-- During the conflict in Libya there were allegations that pro-Qadhafi troops and missiles were being hidden in the ancient city of Leptis Magna and that Qadhafi was using it as an archaeological shield.
- Former Libya Rebel Groups Clash In Tripoli RFE/RL 03 Jan 2012 -- Two former Libyan rebel factions have clashed in central Tripoli, reportedly leaving five fighters dead.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list