Algeria denies reports of 'Gaddafi entry'
22:03 27/08/2011 MOSCOW, August 27 (RIA Novosti) - Algeria denied on Saturday reports that a convoy of vehicles from Libya possibly carrying Muammar Gaddafi had crossed the country's border.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Amar Belani was quoted by the APS news agency as saying that "in recent months Algeria has been targeted by a flood of false information."
"It is the same kind of information disseminated by Mena agency about Mercedes vehicles that allegedly crossed the border between Algeria and Libya," he said.
A convoy of six armored Mercedes cars have crossed from Libya into Algeria, possibly carrying Muammar Gaddafi and his sons, Arab news agencies reported earlier in the day.
Egypt's MENA quoted a rebel source as saying that senior Libyan officials or Muammar Qaddafi himself and his sons may have fled the country.
"It is believed that these vehicles were carrying senior Libyan officials, and possibly Gaddafi and his sons," the source said, adding that the rebels were unable to chase and stop the convoy.
The rebels now control over 95% of the oil-rich country's territory. In February, they formed a National Transitional Council led by former Justice Minister Mustafa Abdul Jalil.
The NTC has been recognized by at least 45 countries.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|