2000 Japan Special Weapons News
- 767 AWACS Enter Service for Japan Boeing 10 May 2000 -- The first four Boeing-built 767 Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) aircraft have entered operational service for the Japan Air Self Defense Force (JASDF). The aircraft were delivered by Boeing between 1998 and 1999.
- GE Marine Engines To Supply IHI with Six LM500 Aeroderivative Gas Turbines for Japanese Patrol Boats GE Marine 28 Apr 2000 -- GE Marine Engines announced it would supply Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries Co. Ltd. (IHI) with six LM500 aeroderivative gas turbines. The gas turbines will be used to power two 11PG high-speed patrol boats being built for the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF).
- JAPAN - NUCLEAR ENERGY Voice of America 10 March 2000 -- The Japanese government says it may cut the number of nuclear power plants to be built over the next decade.
- JAPAN-DEFENSE Voice of America 01 March 2000 -- Japan's military plans to play an increasingly important role in maintaining security in Asia and the world over the coming years.
- THE DEVELOPMENT OF COOPERATION WITH THE JAPANESE SIDE IN THE CREATION OF A THEATER ABM SYSTEM IN THE ASIA-PACIFIC REGION - HAVE NOT GONE UNNOTICED IN MOSCOW February 24, 2000 -- As to plans to create a regional theater ABM system, considerable concern is caused by the aim of creating such a system near Russia's borders. Evidently, it is being regarded as a link of the first interception echelon of the future national ABM system of the United States.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|