Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2021 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Navy, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force Hold Strategic Dialogue US Navy 29 Oct 2021 -- Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Operations, Plans and Strategy, Vice Adm. Bill Merz co-hosted a strategic dialogue with his Japanese counterpart, Rear Adm. OMACHI Katushi, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force Director General of Operations and Plans Department, here in the Pentagon, Oct. 27.
- Japan, U.S. form Surface Action Group in South China Sea US Navy 29 Oct 2021 -- Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) Murasame-class destroyer JS Yudachi (DD 103) and Independence-variant littoral combat ship USS Jackson (LCS 6) operated bilaterally in the South China Sea.
- Japan Holds General Election on Sunday VOA 28 Oct 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida's term in office may be short-lived and his Liberal Democratic Party could lose its majority, according to recent polls by the Yomiuri Shimbun and Asahi Shimbun daily newspapers, Reuters reported.
- Sixth batch of Japan-donated COVID-19 vaccine doses arrive in Taiwan CNA 27 Oct 2021 -- A sixth shipment of COVID-19 vaccines donated by Japan to Taiwan, consisting of 300,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, arrived in Taiwan on Wednesday.
- Japan supports Iran with $6.3 million aid through WHO to strengthen national capacity against COVID-19 ISNA 27 Oct 2021 -- The government of Japan has renewed its long-standing solidarity with the Islamic Republic of Iran by signing a project agreement with the World Health Organization Country Office to support consolidation of national efforts to respond to the COVID-19 emergency across the nation.
- US aircraft carrier in South China Sea as ASEAN, China discuss code of conduct Radio Free Asia 27 Oct 2021 -- The aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson and its strike group have returned to the South China Sea for a joint exercise with a Japanese destroyer as leaders from countries in Southeast Asia hold a virtual meeting to discuss regional issues including a maritime Code of Conduct.
- Japan pledges donation of more COVID-19 vaccines to Taiwan CNA 26 Oct 2021 -- The Japanese government on Tuesday pledged to donate another 300,000 COVID-19 vaccines to Taiwan, which would bring the total doses it has donated to date to 4.2 million.
- JMSDF, U.S. Navy conduct bilateral operations in South China Sea US Navy 25 Oct 2021 -- The Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group and JS Kaga (DDH 184) are conducting maritime security operations and exercises.
- Chinese, Russian warships tackle Japanese close-in recon, 'display confidence' in 1st joint sea patrol Global Times 25 Oct 2021 -- A Chinese-Russian naval flotilla tackled external challenges, including close-in reconnaissance by Japanese forces, during the fleets' first joint sea patrol over the past week.
- Tokyo Says Self-Defen—Āe Forces Fighters Scrambled Over Chinese Chopper Takeoff Near Danjo Sputnik 23 Oct 2021 -- Fighter jets of the Japanese Air Self-Defen—Āe Force were scrambled in response to the takeoff of a Chinese helicopter from the deck of a warship, which, along with other Chinese and Russian warships, was passing near the Danjo Islands, the Japanese defen—Āe ministry said on Saturday.
- Chinese, Russian warships circle around Japan; base of US provocations within reach Global Times 22 Oct 2021 -- The Chinese-Russian joint naval flotilla that transited the Tsugaru Strait days ago has since sailed along the east side of Japan's main island to its south, almost making a circle around the island country, in a move Chinese experts said on Friday can bring balance to regional stability at a time when the US, Japan and other Western forces have been colluding to destabilize the Asia-Pacific region.
- Maritime partnerships strengthened Australia DOD 20 Oct 2021 -- The Royal Australian Navy this month joined key partners Japan, the United States and the United Kingdom for the Maritime Partnership Exercise in the Indian Ocean.
- Tokyo 'Closely Watching' Naval Activities Near Japan in Wake of Russia-China Joint Drills Sputnik 19 Oct 2021 -- On Tuesday, the Japanese Defence Ministry underlined that naval vessels from Russia and China had passed through the Tsugaru Strait in full compliance with international norms.
- Japan to Boost Defence Capabilities in Wake of North Korean Missile Launches, PM Kishida Says Sputnik 19 Oct 2021 -- The Japanese government strongly condemns North Korea's missile launches, which violate resolutions of the UN Security Council, and plans to build up the country's defence capabilities, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said on Tuesday.
- Special Representative for the DPRK Kim's Trilateral Meeting with Republic of Korea Special Representative Noh and Japanese Director General Funakoshi in Washington, D.C. US Dept. of State 19 Oct 2021 -- Today in Washington, D.C., U.S. Special Representative for the DPRK Sung Kim participated in a trilateral meeting with Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs Director General for Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau Funakoshi Takehiro and ROK Special Representative for Korean Peninsula Peace and Security Affairs Noh Kyu-duk to discuss U.S.-ROK-Japan cooperation on the DPRK.
- Warships from Australia, Japan, U.K., and U.S. Join Forces in Maritime Partnership Exercise 2021 US Navy 18 Oct 2021 -- Naval forces from Australia, Japan, the U.K., and the U.S. joined together in multilateral Maritime Partnership Exercise (MPX) 2021 to conduct naval training in the eastern Indian Ocean, Oct. 15-18.
- Marine Corps F-35B Conduct First Landing Aboard JS Izumo USMC News 14 Oct 2021 -- At the request of the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 242 successfully conducted the first ever landing of two F-35B Lightning II aircraft aboard the Japanese Ship Izumo on Oct. 3.
- Australia, India, Japan, and U.S. Kick-off Phase II: MALABAR 2021 US Navy 13 Oct 2021 -- Maritime forces from Australia, India, Japan, and the United States began Phase II of Exercise MALABAR 2021 in the Bay of Bengal, Oct. 11.
- Philippine-U.S. exercise MTA Sama Sama kicks off with Japan, France US Navy 12 Oct 2021 -- The virtual engagement features cooperative evolutions that highlight the ability of the U.S. and the Philippines to work together towards the common goal of ensuring a free and open Indo-Pacific maritime security environment.
- Russia rejects Japan's claim of sovereignty over disputed islands Press TV 12 Oct 2021 -- The Kremlin has rejected a recent claim made by new Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida that Japan's sovereignty extends to a chain of islands disputed with Moscow.
- U.S. Navy and JMSDF Helicopter Squadrons Conduct Bi-lateral Exercises US Navy 12 Oct 2021 -- Aircrews from the "Warlords" of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 51 and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) "Mighty 59" of Air Development Squadron (VX) 51 conducted bi-lateral exercises, Sept. 14.
- MULTILATERAL MARITIME EXERCISE MALABAR 2021 ‚Äď PHASE II IN BAY OF BENGAL 12 ‚Äď 15 OCT 21 India PIB 10 Oct 2021 -- The Indian Navy (IN) would be participating in the Second Phase of Multilateral Maritime Exercise Malabar along with the Japan Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF), Royal Australian Navy (RAN) and the United States Navy (USN).
- FIFTH EDITION OF JAPAN-INDIA BILATERAL MARITIME EXERCISE 'JIMEX' India PIB 08 Oct 2021 -- The 5th edition ofthe bilateral maritime exercise JIMEX, between Japan and India, was conducted in the Arabian Sea from06 ‚Äď 08 October2021.
- Japan's de facto aircraft carrier since WWII raises security concern in region Global Times 07 Oct 2021 -- By having F-35B stealth fighter jets successfully flying from a modified helicopter destroyer in a recent test, Japan now in de facto has an aircraft carrier in its arsenal, the first since the country brought disaster to the world in World War II, was defeated and vowed not to have aggressive weapons.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Japanese Foreign Minister Motegi US Dept. of State 07 Oct 2021
- U.S. Navy, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force conduct CODEP U.S. Pacific Fleet 05 Oct 2021 -- USS Port Royal (CG 73), USS Wayne E. Meyer (DDG 108) and JMSDF training ship JS Kashima (TV 3508) conducted drills in the Hawaiian Islands Operating Area, Oct. 4.
- FIFTH EDITION OF JAPAN-INDIA BILATERAL MARITIME EXERCISE 'JIMEX' India PIB 05 Oct 2021 -- The fifth edition of India ‚Äď Japan Maritime Bilateral Exercise, JIMEX, between the Indian Navy (IN) and the Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force (JMSDF), will be held in Arabian Sea from 06 to 08 October 2021. JIMEX series of exercises commenced in January 2012 with special focus on maritime security cooperation. The last edition of JIMEX was conducted in September 2020.
- Readout of Joseph R. Biden, Jr.'s Call with Prime Minister Kishida of Japan The White House 04 Oct 2021
- Fumio Kishida elected as Japanese PM to succeed Suga People's Daily 04 Oct 2021 -- Fumio Kishida, leader of Japan's ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), was elected on Monday as the country's new prime minister to succeed Yoshihide Suga.
- Fumio Kishida takes office as Japan's 100th prime minister Press TV 04 Oct 2021 -- Fumio Kishida was formally elected into office as Japan's new prime minister in a special parliamentary session, after winning a race to lead the country's ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) with a pledge to bring the world's third-largest economy out of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Readout of Japan, Republic of Korea and U.S. Defense Trilateral Call DoD 01 Oct 2021
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list