Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2021 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Japanese ministry demands record military budget over 'security threats' Press TV 31 Aug 2021 -- Japan's Defense Ministry has demanded a record budget to further boost the country's military against what it considers to be national security threats from China and North Korea.
- Japan's Defence Ministry Seeks Record Budget of Nearly $50 Billion for Next Year, Reports Suggest Sputnik 31 Aug 2021 -- The Japanese Defence Ministry has requested a record 5.4 trillion yen (over $49 billion) for fiscal year 2022, which begins on 1 April, while the country's total federal budget could exceed 111 trillion yen (about $1.01 trillion), the Kyodo news agency reports.
- U.S.-Japan Joint Statement US Dept. of State 31 Aug 2021 -- On the occasion of Special Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry's visit to Japan, Japan and the United States issued the following statement:
- Japan suspends 1mn more Moderna vaccine doses over deadly contamination Press TV 30 Aug 2021 -- Japan has temporarily suspended the use of an additional one million doses of American Moderna coronavirus vaccine, after foreign substances were spotted in some of the batches.
- Four Chinese Ships Enter Japan's Territorial Waters Off Disputed Senkaku Islands, Reports Suggest Sputnik 30 Aug 2021 -- Four Chinese vessels entered Japan's territorial waters near the Senkaku Islands on Monday morning, NHK reported, citing the Japanese Coast Guard.
- Japan's severe COVID-19 patients hits record of 2,000 People's Daily 28 Aug 2021 -- Japan's number of COVID-19 patients with severe symptoms on Thursday rose to a record of 2,000, reaching a new record for the 15th consecutive day, the health ministry said Friday.
- 2 People Die in Japan After Moderna Shots From Tainted Batch VOA 28 Aug 2021 -- Japan's health ministry said Saturday that two people in their 30s have died days after receiving their second Moderna COVID-19 vaccine shot.
- China lodges firm representations with Japan over its security dialogue with DPP of Taiwan, whose illusion into external support 'will cut own throat' Global Times 27 Aug 2021 -- China on Friday expressed strong opposition to the first-ever security talks between the ruling parties of Japan and Taiwan island, and has lodged firm representations with Japan. Although the virtual dialogue was viewed as warming ties between Japan and the island, mainland experts warned that such attempts of self-comfort and catering to the US' Indo-Pacific strategy to contain the mainland may provoke a strong backlash from Beijing.
- Japan halts import of America's Moderna vaccine over contamination fears Press TV 26 Aug 2021 -- Japan has halted the import of 1.6 million doses of American Moderna's coronavirus vaccine after the domestic distributor received reports of contaminants in some vials.
- 'Quad' countries kick off joint naval exercises in Pacific Ocean Press TV 26 Aug 2021 -- India, the United States, Australia, and Japan, which form a security grouping commonly known as the Quad, have kicked off the 25th edition of joint naval drills off the coast of the Pacific island of Guam.
- Japan's ruling party sets date for leadership vote, incumbent PM likely to face strong challenge Press TV 26 Aug 2021 -- Japan's ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) will hold a vote to choose its leader on September 29, with incumbent Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga expected to face strong opposition.
- Australia back for Indo-Pacific maritime Exercise MALABAR Australia DOD 23 Aug 2021 -- The Royal Australian Navy will join key regional partners India, Japan and the United States for Exercise MALABAR 2021.
- Japan PM Extends COVID Emergency as Cases Surge VOA 16 Aug 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said the COVID-19 state of emergency for Tokyo and several surrounding regions will continue through September 12 rather than expiring at the end of this month after a surge in new cases over the past three days.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Remarks on Japan's Erroneous Acts Related to the Yasukuni Shrine PRC MofA 15 Aug 2021
- JS Makinami Directs Force During Combined, and Joint Battle Problem US Navy 11 Aug 2021 -- Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) destroyer JS Makinami (DD 112) took charge as Sea Combat Commander (SCC) during Combined and Joint Battle Problem (CJBP) Aug. 5-10 alongside the USS America (LHA 6) Expeditionary Strike Group and the Royal Australian Navy's (RAN) HMAS Ballarat (FFH 155) and HMAS Canberra (L 02).
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Meeting With Japanese Secretary General of the National Security Secretariat Takeo Akiba DoD 10 Aug 2021
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Emily Horne on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's Meeting with Takeo Akiba, Secretary General of Japan's National Security Secretariat The White House 09 Aug 2021
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Japanese National Security Advisor Akiba US Dept. of State 09 Aug 2021
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Japanese Foreign Minister Motegi US Dept. of State 06 Aug 2021
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the MV Mercer Street Attack US Dept. of State 06 Aug 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- As COVID Surges in Japan, Some See Indirect Olympics Link VOA 05 Aug 2021 -- Just days after the Tokyo Olympics began, Japan started to see a sharp increase in coronavirus cases. On Thursday, the country topped 15,000 confirmed daily infections for the first time. Medical experts are now debating whether and to what extent the Games are to blame for the outbreak, which officials warn is "extremely severe."
- Japan Drops Plans to Procure US-Made Anti-Ship Missiles As Price Spirals Up, Reports Say Sputnik 05 Aug 2021 -- Japan has abandoned plans to purchase US-made anti-ship missiles for its F-15 fighter jets over skyrocketing prices, the Kyodo news agency reported on Thursday.
- Japan - AEGIS Class Destroyer Support DSCA 04 Aug 2021 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Japan of AEGIS Class Destroyer Support and related equipment for an estimated cost of $134 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Japan - RAM Block 2 Tactical Missiles DSCA 04 Aug 2021 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Japan of RAM Block 2 Tactical Missiles and related equipment for an estimated cost of $61.5 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Japan Limits Hospital Access Amid COVID-19 Surge VOA 03 Aug 2021 -- With worries of a sharp increase in COVID-19 infections overwhelming the country's hospitals, Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga announced Tuesday that only seriously ill coronavirus patients or those at risk of becoming so will be admitted for treatment.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list