Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2021 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Iran's ceaseless efforts to get its frozen assets IRNA 28 Feb 2021 -- A new chapter has been opened for Iran to pave the way for liberating its frozen assets following consultations have been made to urge South Korea, Japan, Iraq and Oman to unlock Iranian money.
- Japan warned not to provoke China as media hypes up possibility of conflict in Diaoyu Islands after Galwan Valley clash Global Times 25 Feb 2021 -- While Chinese people mourn the four martyrs killed in the June 2020 border conflict with Indian troops at Galwan Valley, Japanese media made a "wild and groundless" guess that a similar conflict is very likely to be provoked in the sea with Japan next time, referring to China's Diaoyu Islands, where the two countries have had a long sovereignty dispute.
- Japan asserting claim over disputed islets draws ire of S. Korea People's Daily 23 Feb 2021 -- Japan on Monday asserted its claims over the disputed islets in the Sea of Japan during a ceremony, drawing a harsh backlash from South Korea.
- US Forces, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force Participate in Resilient Shield 2021 US Navy 22 Feb 2021 -- U.S. and Japan Self Defense Force will participate in Resilient Shield 2021 from February 22-26, at Commander, Fleet Activities Yokosuka (CFAY), Japan, and other command centers throughout the region.
- Australian, United States and Japan conclude Exercise Cope North 21 Australia DOD 19 Feb 2021 -- Forces from Australia, the United States and Japan have successfully completed the annual trilateral Exercise Cope North.
- Taiwan calls for restraint in waters around Diaoyutais CNA 18 Feb 2021 -- Taiwan's government on Thursday reasserted its sovereignty over the contested Diaoyutai Islands and called for restraint by all parties as tensions between Japan and China escalate.
- U.S.-ROK-Japan Trilateral Meeting on Shared North Korea-Related Challenges US Dept. of State 18 Feb 2021 -- The Biden Administration is committed to strengthening U.S. alliance relationships, particularly with our key Northeast Asian allies Japan and the Republic of Korea.
- Japan Begins COVID-19 Vaccination Program VOA 17 Feb 2021 -- Japan began its long-awaited coronavirus vaccination program Wednesday.
- Japanese CEO and Employees Charged in Scheme to Defraud U.S. Navy and Dump Wastewater in Ocean US Dept. of Justice 17 Feb 2021 -- Three Japanese nationals, including the president and chief executive officer of Yokohama, Japan-based Kanto Kosan Co. Ltd. (Kanto Kosan) were indicted by a federal grand jury Tuesday in connection with an alleged long-running scheme to defraud the U.S. Navy and pollute Japanese waters by dumping contaminated water removed from U.S. Navy ships into the ocean.
- Japan, US agree to extend deal on military base payments Press TV 17 Feb 2021 -- Washington and Tokyo have decided to extend an agreement on Japanese financial support for thousands of US troops stationed in the country.
- Japan to Begin Vaccine Rollout Wednesday VOA 16 Feb 2021 -- Japan's vaccine minister announced Tuesday the country plans to start its coronavirus vaccine program Wednesday, focused initially on inoculating 40,000 health care workers.
- Japan's Daily Coronavirus Cases below 1,000 SPA 16 Feb 2021 -- A total of 965 daily coronavirus infections were reported in Japan on Monday, coming in below the 1,000 mark for the first time in three months, while the number of deaths related to COVID-19 topped 7,000, a Kyodo News tally showed.
- Tokyo Lodges Protest With Beijing Over Chinese Ships' Entry Into Japanese Coastal Waters Sputnik 16 Feb 2021 -- Tokyo on Tuesday lodged a protest with Beijing after four Chinese ships entered the Japanese coastal waters near the disputed Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea, Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato said.
- Iran urges Japan to release its assets, persuade US to lift bans Press TV 15 Feb 2021 -- Iran's foreign minister has called on Japan to unfreeze Iran's assets blocked in Japanese banks due to the US sanctions, and also persuade newly inaugurated US President Joe Biden to lift the bans imposed on Iran.
- Partner to Compete, Compete to Deter USMC News 12 Feb 2021 -- The Marines and Sailors of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit and the soldiers of the Japanese Ground Self Defense Force executed a bilateral raid at Kin Blue Beach and in the Central Training Area, Okinawa, Japan, February 1.
- China's Move to Empower Coast Guard Stirs Tensions VOA 11 Feb 2021 -- China's new law allowing its coast guard to "open fire" on foreign vessels is causing serious anxiety in the Philippines, Vietnam and Japan. The move may help China to create a quasi-military presence even in sea areas where its navy is absent, analysts say.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Japanese Foreign Minister Motegi US Dept. of State 10 Feb 2021
- Japanese Submarine Collides With Fishing Vessel Sputnik 08 Feb 2021 -- A Japanese submarine collided with a private fishing vessel off the coast of the prefecture of Kochi on Monday, Japanese media reported.
- Tajikistan Increases Pressure On Opposition At Home, Abroad RFE/RL 07 Feb 2021 -- Tajik authorities have increased pressure on opponents of the government, both at home and abroad, in recent weeks. Several activists, government critics, and suspected supporters of banned opposition groups have been jailed.
- Japan's Chiba Prefecture to Cull Some 410,000 Chickens Over Bird Flu, Reports Say Sputnik 06 Feb 2021 -- Some 410,000 chickens will be culled in the Japanese prefecture of Chiba near Tokyo over a new outbreak of the highly pathogenic bird flu, Japanese media reported on Saturday.
- Japan Protests Chinese 'Incursion' Near Disputed Islands, Reports Suggest Sputnik 06 Feb 2021 -- The Japanese government lodged a protest with China on Saturday after two Chinese ships entered the waters near the Japan-administered islands in the East China Sea, also claimed by Beijing, media said.
- Royal Australian Air Force joins United States and Japan for Exercise Cope North 21 Australia DOD 05 Feb 2021 -- The Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) has deployed two aircraft and approximately 170 personnel to Guam to enhance trilateral interoperability with the United States and Japan as part of Exercise Cope North 21.
- China, Japan agree to manage differences, promote cooperation in maritime affairs PLA Daily 04 Feb 2021 -- China and Japan have agreed to properly manage their differences through dialogue and pragmatically promote cooperation in maritime affairs, making the East China Sea a sea of peace, cooperation and friendship.
- UK commits to deeper defence and security cooperation with Japan UK MOD 03 Feb 2021 -- HMS Queen Elizabeth's deployment to Indo Pacific later this year will enhance Japan and UK defence cooperation
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the Situation in Burma US Dept. of State 03 Feb 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- G-7 Condemns Myanmar Coup VOA 03 Feb 2021 -- Foreign ministers from the G-7 group of nations on Wednesday condemned the coup in Myanmar and expressed deep concern about the detention of Aung San Suu Kyi and other political leaders.
- G7 calls for return to political rule in coup-hit Myanmar Press TV 03 Feb 2021 -- Foreign ministers from the Group of Seven (G7) major industrialized countries have expressed deep concern about the recent military coup in Myanmar and the detention of the country's top political leaders.
- Tokyo Olympics Chief Says Games Will Go On Despite Coronavirus VOA 02 Feb 2021 -- The head of the Tokyo Olympics expressed confidence Tuesday the event will go forward this year despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
- South Korea drops description of Japan as 'partner' in latest defense paper Press TV 02 Feb 2021 -- South Korea's Defense Ministry has dropped its description of Japan as a "partner" in its latest defense white paper, as differences between the two neighbors have continued to deepen over a range of issues in recent years.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list