Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2021 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Tokyo Reports 633 New Cases of Coronavirus SPA 31 Jan 2021 -- The Tokyo metropolitan government reported today 633 new cases of the novel Coronavirus in Tokyo, Kyodo News Agency reported.
- Japan set to extend COVID-19 emergency state Global Times 31 Jan 2021 -- Japan is set to extend the state of emergency over the COVID-19 pandemic and began arrangements of the extension for up to another month on Saturday as Tokyo and other areas continue to log a high number of infections, local media reported.
- Readout of President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Call with Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga of Japan The White House 27 Jan 2021
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Japanese Foreign Minister Motegi US Dept. of State 26 Jan 2021
- Japanese Defence Minister Dismisses Reports About Secret Deal With US Military Sputnik 26 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Defence Minister Nobuo Kishi on Tuesday denied earlier reports about a secret deal with the United States military concerning the joint use of an American Marine base in the southern prefecture of Okinawa.
- US, Japan agree to strengthen military ties under Biden Press TV 24 Jan 2021 -- The United States and its Asian ally Japan have agreed to strengthen their military alliance under the new administration of US President Joe Biden, in an apparent effort to further challenge China's sovereignty in the South China Sea.
- Japan's Coronavirus Death Toll Tops 5,000 SPA 23 Jan 2021 -- The death toll from the novel Coronavirus in Japan surpassed 5,000 on Saturday as the country struggles to curb a third wave of infections, Kyodo News Agency reported.
- Japan's COVID-19 death toll exceeds 5,000 People's Daily 23 Jan 2021 -- Japan's COVID-19 death toll topped 5,000 on Saturday as the country struggles to contain the resurgence of infections, according to the latest figures from the health ministry and local authorities.
- Some 140,000 Chickens to Be Culled in Japan's Toyama Prefecture Over Bird Flu â€“ Reports Sputnik 23 Jan 2021 -- Some 140,000 chickens will be exterminated in the western Japanese prefecture of Toyama over an outbreak of bird flu, Japanese media reported on Saturday.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's Call With Japanese Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi DoD 23 Jan 2021
- Japan Becomes Latest Nation to Contest Beijing's Claims in the South China Sea Radio Free Asia 22 Jan 2021 -- Japan has joined a growing list of countries that are challenging China's maritime claims in the South China Sea.
- Japan reports 5,652 new COVID-19 cases as gov't nears vaccination rollout People's Daily 22 Jan 2021 -- Japan on Thursday confirmed 5,652 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the nation's cumulative total of infections to 352,688.
- Japan's main opposition party chief condemns government's slack virus response People's Daily 21 Jan 2021 -- Japan's main opposition party leader took aim at the administration of Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga on Wednesday for its purported delayed action in responding to the novel coronavirus pandemic currently sweeping the nation.
- Japan prepares legislation to punish those breaking COVID-19 rules Global Times 16 Jan 2021 -- Japan is preparing legislation making it possible to punish people who do not comply with the government's measures to combat COVID-19, with the penalties possibly including hefty fines and even prison sentences.
- Japan to suspend entry of all non-resident foreign nationals People's Daily 14 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga on Wednesday said the entry of all non-resident foreign nationals into the country will be suspended as part of a coordinated effort to curb the further spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Japan tightens border controls to include Taiwan CNA 13 Jan 2021 -- The Japanese government will tighten its border restrictions with effect from Thursday, temporarily banning the entry of visitors from all countries, including Taiwan, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga announced Wednesday.
- Japan reports 4,539 new daily COVID-19 cases as emergency set to expand People's Daily 13 Jan 2021 -- Japan on Tuesday confirmed 4,539 new daily COVID-19 cases, bringing the nation's cumulative total to 298,172 infections, not including those related to a cruise ship quarantined in Yokohama last year.
- Japan's PM set to expand emergency to more prefectures People's Daily 13 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga is set to expand a state of emergency declared over the COVID-19 pandemic for the Greater Tokyo area to include Osaka, Kyoto and Hyogo prefectures as the virus is also continuing to surge in western Japan, sources close to the matter said Tuesday.
- S. Korea, Japan to Halt Business-Track Entry Program to Curb Coronavirus Variant SPA 13 Jan 2021 -- South Korea and Japan plan to suspend "business-track" trips to each other in a bid to curb the spread of the new coronavirus variant, Yonhap cited their governments as announcing today, on Wednesday.
- Four Chinese Ships Enter Japan's Territorial Waters Near Disputed Senkaku Islands, Reports Say Sputnik 13 Jan 2021 -- Four Chinese ships have entered Japan's territorial waters near the disputed Senkaku Islands, the Kyodo news agency reported on Wednesday, citing Japan's security service.
- Japan's PM set to expand virus emergency to western Japan amid resurgence People's Daily 12 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga is set to expand a state of emergency declared over the COVID-19 pandemic for the Greater Tokyo area to include Osaka, Kyoto and Hyogo prefectures as the virus is also continuing to surge in western Japan, sources close to the matter said Tuesday.
- Japan reports 7,109 new COVID-19 cases, 281,992 in total Global Times 10 Jan 2021 -- The confirmed COVID-19 cases in Japan increased by 7,109 to reach 281,992 as of Saturday evening, according to the latest figures from the health ministry and local authorities.
- Japan to Require All People Entering Country to Submit COVID-19 Test SPA 09 Jan 2021 -- Japan will further tighten its border controls from tomorrow, Saturday by requiring all people arriving to submit negative results from virus tests taken within 72 hours of their departure for Japan during the period of the latest state of emergency, Kyodo reported.
- Japan's Suga declares state of emergency in Tokyo, three neighboring prefectures over COVID-19 People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga declared a state of emergency in the Tokyo metropolitan area including Tokyo, Saitama, Chiba and Kanagawa prefectures on Thursday, authorizing tougher measures to fight a resurgence in COVID-19 infections.
- Japan's Suga declares state of emergency in Tokyo, three neighboring prefectures People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga declared a state of emergency in the Tokyo metropolitan area including Tokyo, Saitama, Chiba and Kanagawa prefectures on Thursday, authorizing tougher measures to fight a resurgence in COVID-19 infections.
- Japan PM Suga to Declare State of Emergency in Tokyo Area As Virus Surges SPA 07 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga is set to declare a state of emergency in the Tokyo metropolitan area today, on Thursday evening, authorizing more robust measures to fight a recent surge in coronavirus infections, Kyodo reported.
- Japan's COVID-19 cases hit new record ahead of virus emergency declaration People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- Japan on Tuesday confirmed a record 4,912 new daily infections, bringing the country's cumulative total to 253,437, not including those related to a cruise ship quarantined near Tokyo last year.
- Tokyo's COVID-19 cases hit new daily record ahead of virus emergency declaration People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- Tokyo on Wednesday confirmed a record 1,591 new daily COVID-19 infections, with the record number of cases coming just days ahead of a state of emergency likely being declared for Tokyo and three surrounding prefectures due to a surging "third wave" of infections.
- Japanese PM says state of emergency for Tokyo area "a possibility" to combat COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- Japan could declare a month-long state of emergency in Tokyo and three surrounding prefectures starting from Saturday, in a bid to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus as a resurgence in cases has taken hold, government sources said Monday.
- Japan Voices Concerns Over Iran's Enriching Uranium at 20% Sputnik 05 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato said on Tuesday that Japan was seriously concerned about Iran's decision to enrich uranium at 20 percent in breach of the limit set by the 2015 nuclear deal.
- Japan Might Declare Tokyo State of Emergency Amid COVID-19 Surge VOA 04 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said the government is considering declaring a state of emergency for Tokyo and three surrounding areas after an alarming uptick of new coronavirus infections.
- Tokyo Reports over 1,300 Daily COVID Cases, Topping 1,000 for 1st Time SPA 04 Jan 2021 -- The daily number of coronavirus infections totaled 1,337 in Tokyo on Thursday, Kyodo citing metropolitan government officials as saying.
- Japan eyes declaring another state of emergency for Tokyo, vicinity: PM People's Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said on Monday that the government is planning to declare another state of emergency for Tokyo and three surrounding prefectures as COVID-19 cases surge in these areas.
- Japan Plans to Develop Unmanned Fighter Aircraft by 2035, Reports Say Sputnik 01 Jan 2021 -- Japan has started developing unmanned, remotely-controlled fighter aircraft and plans to equip the military with them by 2035 in light of China's advancements in military technologies, the Nikkei newspaper reported on Friday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list