Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2020 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Philippines Bans Travel from Japan, 19 Locations Amid Virus Variant SPA 31 Dec 2020 -- The Philippines will bar the entry of travellers from Japan and 19 other countries and territories, Kyodo cited the country's transport ministry as saying Tuesday.
- Tokyo's daily COVID-19 cases surpass 1,000-mark for 1st time People's Daily 31 Dec 2020 -- The number of new daily COVID-19 cases in Tokyo surpassed the 1,000-mark for the first time since the outbreak of the pandemic, Governor Yuriko Koike said Thursday, warning that the third wave hitting the capital is of "unprecedented size."
- Tokyo's medical system enters "critical stage" as COVID-19 cases climb People's Daily 31 Dec 2020 -- Japan confirmed 3,841 new daily COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, bringing the nation's cumulative total to 231,223 infections, not including those related to a cruise ship quarantined here earlier this year, with Tokyo's strained medical system "entering a critical stage," according to experts.
- China and Japan to build direct telephone line under maritime and air liaison mechanism PLA Daily 31 Dec 2020 -- Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense (MND), briefly introduced the latest progress of the China-Japan maritime and air liaison mechanism on Thursday, when answering the reporter' s question about the construction of maritime and air liaison mechanism mentioned in a recent video call between the Chinese and Japanese defense ministers.
- Japan suspends entry of non-resident foreigners amid concerns over new virus strain People's Daily 29 Dec 2020 -- Japan on Monday suspended entries of non-resident foreign nationals arriving from the majority of the world in a bid to prevent the spread of the new, highly transmissible coronavirus strain.
- Japan reports 2,396 new COVID-19 cases as gov't tightens borders amid fears of virus variant People's Daily 29 Dec 2020 -- Japan on Monday reported 2,396 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the nation's cumulative total to 223,772, not including those related to a cruise ship quarantined near Tokyo earlier this year.
- Japan Reports First Case of New Coronavirus Strain That Emerged in South Africa - Reports Sputnik 29 Dec 2020 -- The first case of the new coronavirus variant found in South Africa has been confirmed in Japan, The Japan Times reports.
- Japan Plans to Develop Tomahawk-Like Missiles With Range of 1,200 Miles, Reports Say Sputnik 29 Dec 2020 -- Japan is developing long-range missiles similar to the Tomahawk subsonic cruise missiles, the Sankei Shimbun daily reports.
- Forest Light 21 USMC News 28 Dec 2020 -- To end the crazy year that is 2020 strong, the U.S. Marines with Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 265, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing participated in the bilateral exercise Forest Light with Japan Ground Self-Defense Force December 3 to December 21, 2020.
- Tokyo's COVID-19 cases hit 2nd highest daily record as virus runs rampant People's Daily 26 Dec 2020 -- The Tokyo metropolitan government reported 884 new COVID-19 infections on Friday, with the figure marking the second-highest on record for the capital amid a resurgence in cases.
- Tokyo Reports Record 888 Daily Coronavirus Cases SPA 26 Dec 2020 -- Tokyo reported a record 888 daily coronavirus cases Thursday, amid growing concern over the strain on the medical system as the country faces a resurgence of infections, Yonhap reported.
- Japan declares Taiwan as 'red line,' seeks Biden's backing against Chinese 'aggression' Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- Japan's deputy defense minister has taken a tough stance against "aggressive" China, declaring Taiwan's safety a "red line" and calling on US president-elect Joe Biden to "be strong" in backing the island territory claimed by Beijing in the face of a Chinese aggression.
- South Korea, Japan, Indonesia Record Highest Daily Increases in COVID Cases VOA 25 Dec 2020 -- South Korea, Japan, and Indonesia recorded the highest daily increase in coronavirus cases Friday as a third wave of COVID-19 hit the countries.
- Tokyo's new daily COVID-19 cases hit record 888 amid continued strain on medical system People's Daily 24 Dec 2020 -- The Tokyo metropolitan government on Thursday reported a record 888 new daily coronavirus cases, as concerns continue to grow about the increasing strain on the medical system as cases in the capital continue to surge.
- Chinese Actions Awaken 'The Quad': A Four-Country Indo-Pacific Grouping Radio Free Asia 23 Dec 2020 -- The Economist magazine recently reported that when the United States, Australia, India, and Japan met in 2007 for a quadrilateral dialogue on security matters, many bet that the new grouping would "fizzle."
- Japan reports 2,687 COVID-19 cases amid concerns over strain to medical system People's Daily 23 Dec 2020 -- Japan on Tuesday confirmed 2,687 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the nation's cumulative total to 203,717, not including those related to a cruise ship quarantined near Tokyo earlier in the year.
- Japan's Coronavirus Death Toll Tops 3,000 SPA 23 Dec 2020 -- Japan's death toll from the novel coronavirus topped 3,000 yesterday, on Tuesday amid fears that a recent spike in infections could further squeeze the country's health care system, Kyodo reported.
- Russian fighter intercepts Japanese military plane People's Daily 23 Dec 2020 -- A Russian fighter jet intercepted a Japanese military aircraft over Far Eastern seas, the Russian Defense Ministry said Tuesday.
- Japan's COVID-19 cases top 200,000 as rising infections show no signs of abating People's Daily 22 Dec 2020 -- Japan's cumulative COVID-19 cases topped the 200,000-mark on Monday, with surging cases around the country causing heightened concerns about the medical system's ability to cope under the increasing strain.
- Japan sees record-high defense budget, with new Aegis ships, long-range missiles People's Daily 22 Dec 2020 -- Japan's cabinet on Monday approved a record 106.61-trillion-yen (1.03-trillion-U.S. dollar) draft budget for fiscal 2021, with the defense budget totaling 5.34 trillion yen (51.56 billion U.S. dollars) and rising for a ninth straight year.
- Seizing and defending islands: U.S. Marines, Japan Ground Self-Defense Force strengthen integrated capabilities during exercise Forest Light USMC News 21 Dec 2020 -- With MV-22 Ospreys and CH-47 aircraft operating overhead, U.S. Marines and Japanese soldiers manned machine guns, managed interlinked sensor screens, and provided targeting information for long-range fires assets in preparation to defend against an amphibious assault and enable a fast-hitting counterattack into enemy-held territory.
- Japan's cabinet endorses record military budget Press TV 21 Dec 2020 -- Japan's cabinet has ratified a record-high budget proposal for the upcoming fiscal year that begins in April, including another military spending hike to counter China and a stimulus for its pandemic-hit economy.
- Japan Increases its Defence Budget to Record $52 Billion for Stealth Jets and Long-Range Missiles Sputnik 21 Dec 2020 -- Over the past years, Japan has been successfully strengthening its military forces amid China's growing military power. At the moment, Japan is among the world's top ten countries in terms of military spending, as Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has continued that policy even if it requires more funding.
- Tokyo Reports 2nd Highest Daily Increase of 736 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 20 Dec 2020 -- Tokyo reported today, on Saturday 736 daily cases of novel coronavirus, the second-highest daily increase, bringing the monthly tally, already above the record cases logged last month, to 9,951, Kyodo reported.
- COVID-19 cases in Tokyo hit record high as concerns grow about strain on medical system People's Daily 18 Dec 2020 -- The Tokyo metropolitan government on Thursday confirmed a record 822 new daily COVID-19 cases, marking the first time infections have topped the 800-mark in Tokyo and raising concerns about the strain on the medical system.
- U.S.-Australia-India-Japan Consultations ("The Quad") Senior Officials Meeting US Dept. of State 18 Dec 2020 -- Senior officials from the United States, Australia, India, and Japan met virtually today as part of regular Quad consultations to advance a free, open, and inclusive Indo-Pacific region.â€¯ Today's meeting followed the productive discussions held in Tokyo during the second Quad Foreign Ministers' Meeting on October 6, 2020.
- New daily cases of COVID-19 top 800-mark for 1st time in Tokyo People's Daily 17 Dec 2020 -- The Tokyo metropolitan government on Thursday confirmed a record number of 822 new daily COVID-19 cases, marking the first time infections have topped the 800-mark in Tokyo.
- Tokyo Logs Record 822 Infections As Strain on Medical System Grows SPA 17 Dec 2020 -- The Japanese capital, Tokyo reported a record 822 new coronavirus infections today, on Thursday, topping the 800 mark for the first time and heightening concerns about the strain on the nation's medical system, Kyodo reported.
- USS John S. McCain Joins French, Japanese Navies for Multinational Exercise US Navy 17 Dec 2020 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) joined the French Navy and Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) for integrated exercises in the Philippine Sea throughout the week.
- Japan's capital reports record high daily COVID-19 case spike People's Daily 16 Dec 2020 -- The Tokyo metropolitan government on Wednesday reported 678 new confirmed COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours in the Japanese capital.
- Japanese Scientists Confirm Returned Asteroid Probe Contains Soil Sample VOA 15 Dec 2020 -- Scientists at Japan's space agency on Tuesday confirmed the capsule they recovered last week from their Hayabusa2 probe that had landed on an asteroid did indeed contain samples collected from that heavenly body.
- First in, last out: Marines from 7th Communication Battalion participate in Yama Sakura 79 USMC News 15 Dec 2020 -- U.S. Marines from 7th Communication Battalion, III Marine Expeditionary Force Information Group participated in Yama Sakura 79 with Marines from 3rd Marine Expeditionary Brigade as well as soldiers from Japan Ground Self-Defense Force's Amphibious Rapid Deployment Brigade, December 9 to December 14 at Camp Courtney, Okinawa, Japan.
- Japan Gov't Panel Proposes to Halt Travel Program Amid Virus Resurgence SPA 12 Dec 2020 -- The Japanese government's subcommittee on coronavirus countermeasures today, on Friday proposed a continued suspension of a domestic travel subsidy program in some parts of the country, where medical systems remain under strain due to a spike in infections, Kyodo reported.
- Japan Abandons Plans to Upgrade F-15 Fighter Jets as Cost Rises Dramatically, Media Says Sputnik 12 Dec 2020 -- In October, Boeing and Mitsubishi signed an agreement to modernise Japan's F-15 aircraft so they could carry long-range cruise missiles. The reason why Tokyo decided to upgrade the aircraft was China's intensifying air patrols over the disputed Senkaku Islands, which have been a big issue for the two nations.
- S.Korea, China, Japan Agree to Promote Fair Distribution of COVID-19 Vaccines SPA 11 Dec 2020 -- South Korea, China and Japan agreed today, on Friday to work together in responding to the coronavirus pandemic and promoting fair international distribution of COVID-19 vaccines, Yonhap cited the S. Korean health and welfare ministry as saying.
- Japan reports record-high daily of 2,746 COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Dec 2020 -- Japan reported 2,746 new daily COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, renewing a record number of daily infections since the onset of the outbreak, according to the latest figures from the health ministry and local authorities.
- Japan's plans to build new Aegis-equipped ships, improve missile capability deemed unconstitutional People's Daily 09 Dec 2020 -- The Japanese government's plan to build two naval vessels equipped with Aegis missile interceptors has met with resistance from opposition parties who believe, along with plans to enhance missile capability, that the plans might be unconstitutional.
- Hayabusa2 Capsule With Samples From Ryugu Asteroid Delivered to Japan, Report Says Sputnik 07 Dec 2020 -- The Hayabusa2 capsule containing samples from near-Earth asteroid Ryugu has been delivered from Australia to Japan for detailed analysis, the NHK broadcaster reports.
- Japan to Extend Travel Subsidy Scheme Amid Record Deaths, Severe Cases SPA 06 Dec 2020 -- Japanese tourism minister Kazuyoshi Akaba said today the government is planning to extend its domestic travel subsidy program by five months through the end of June to support the economy hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic, a move that comes despite the record number of severe cases and deaths currently being reported across the country, Kyodo reported.
- Japan, France, US set to hold joint war games in May as 'message' to China Press TV 06 Dec 2020 -- Japan, France, and the United States are reportedly set to hold joint military drills for the first time in May next year, as part of attempts to contain what is claimed as China's growing influence in the Asia Pacific region.
- Japan's COVID-19 cases top 150,000 People's Daily 02 Dec 2020 -- The confirmed COVID-19 cases in Japan increased by 1,463 to reach 150,464 as of Tuesday evening, according to the latest figures from the health ministry and local authorities.
- Russia deploys advanced S-300 missile system to island disputed with Japan Press TV 02 Dec 2020 -- Russia says it has deployed its advanced S-300V4 air defense missile system for combat duty on one of four islands in the Kuril chain disputed with Japan.
- Russia Deploys Air-Defense Missiles To Disputed Kurile Islands RFE/RL 02 Dec 2020 -- The Russian military has announced the deployment of advanced air-defense missiles to the Kurile Islands claimed by Japan.
- Its China Ties Corroding, Australia to Sign Military Deal with US Ally Japan VOA 02 Dec 2020 -- Australia plans to sign a military exchange deal with U.S. ally Japan so troops from both sides could pool their firepower if needed to counter China, which has become enmeshed in disputes with Australia over the past two weeks.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list