Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2020 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Japan Unveils the Lead Developer of its New Stealth Fighter Jet Sputnik 30 Oct 2020 -- Japan is planning to upgrade its military air fleet with minimal foreign assistance. The government refused project proposals from American and British companies, including Lockheed Martin and Boeing, because the successful tests of the Japanese experimental stealth fighter X-2 opened great opportunities for country's aircraft industry.
- Japan's COVID-19 cases surpass 100,000, Tokyo's infections on rise People's Daily 29 Oct 2020 -- Japan recorded 306 new confirmed COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours, showed preliminary figures released on Thursday afternoon.
- Japan's Total Coronavirus Cases Top 100,000 SPA 29 Oct 2020 -- Japan's cumulative total of confirmed novel coronavirus cases topped 100,000 today, on Thursday, according to a tally based on official data, amid a recent uptick in the number of new infections coinciding with a resumption in economic activity, Kyodo reported.
- US provocation may encourage Japanese right-wing forces to take action on Diaoyu Islands: analysts Global Times 28 Oct 2020 -- US promise of military support to Japan on the Diaoyu Islands is war deterrence to China in accordance with the Trump administration's strategy to provoke regional disputes to contain China, Chinese analysts said, warning the Chinese military to prepare as some Japanese right-wing forces may be encouraged to take action over the issue.
- Japan not to join nuclear ban treaty: gov't spokesperson People's Daily 27 Oct 2020 -- The government's top spokesperson said here Monday that Japan will not join a U.N. treaty banning nuclear weapons, voicing the country's difference in approach to the issue.
- New Japanese Prime Minister Suga Says Determined to Resolve Dispute With Russia Sputnik 26 Oct 2020 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said at his policy speech to parliament on Monday that his government will seek to resolve the territorial dispute with Russia.
- Tokyo's new COVID-19 cases remain in triple digits for 3rd straight day People's Daily 22 Oct 2020 -- Tokyo reported 185 new daily COVID-19 cases on Thursday, rising from 150 infections confirmed the previous day, bringing the cumulative total in the capital to 29,520.
- Japan to Help ASEAN States Secure Coasts Amid South China Sea Tensions Radio Free Asia 21 Oct 2020 -- Tokyo has agreed to supply Southeast Asian governments with patrol boats â€“ Indonesia and Vietnam in particular â€“ so they can secure their coasts amid tensions in the South China Sea, Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said in Jakarta on Wednesday.
- Japan, Indonesia Agree to Bolster Defense, Economic Ties VOA 20 Oct 2020 -- Japan and Indonesia on Tuesday agreed to accelerate defense and trade talks over mutual concerns about an increasingly assertive China across the Indo-Pacific region.
- U.S., Japan, Australia Conduct Trilateral Naval Exercises in South China Sea US Navy 19 Oct 2020 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) joined the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) and Japan Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) in the South China Sea for multinational exercises, Oct. 19.
- Japan and Vietnam Agree on Defense Export Pact, Discuss South China Sea RFA 19 Oct 2020 -- Japan has agreed in principle to supply Vietnam with military equipment, in a significant deepening of security cooperation between a key U.S. ally and a South China Sea claimant as their leaders met Monday.
- Japan to Dump Fukushima's Low Radioactive Water Into Ocean, Reports Suggest Sputnik 16 Oct 2020 -- The Japanese government is planning to release low radioactive water from the Fukushima I nuclear power plant into the ocean, the newspaper Mainichi reported on Friday, citing its sources in the government.
- Japan Unveils New 'Taigei' Submarine to Be Deployed by Self-Defence Army in 2022 Sputnik 14 Oct 2020 -- Japan has unveiled on Wednesday a new submarine, named Taigei, that the country's Maritime Self-Defence Force (MSDF) will include in their fleet in March of 2022, Japanese news agency Kyodo reported.
- Zarif says Iran expects Japan to prevent 'illegal' US move to block its access to overseas funds Press TV 14 Oct 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has called on Japan and other countries to stand up to US efforts to block Iran's access to its overseas funds needed to buy medicine and foodstuff for the Iranian people amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- U.S. Navy joins Japan's Kaga, Ikazuchi for Integrated Operations US Navy 13 Oct 2020 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) joined Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) Escort Flotilla 2 during integrated operations in the South China Sea beginning Oct. 12.
- Japan Exercises with U.S. Navy in South China Sea after Port Call in Vietnam Radio Free Asia 13 Oct 2020 -- Japan has joined the U.S. for an exercise in the South China Sea, after engaging in a bit of defense diplomacy with Indonesia and Vietnam that was not welcomed by the region's other key power â€“ China.
- Japan Urges China to Withdraw 2 Ships From Territorial Waters in East China Sea Sputnik 13 Oct 2020 -- Japan demands, including via diplomatic channels, that two Chinese vessels withdraw from Japanese territorial waters in the vicinity of the disputed Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea, Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato said on Tuesday.
- Readout of U.S.-Japan Bilateral Security Discussions DoD 07 Oct 2020
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper's Phone Call With Japanese Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi DoD 06 Oct 2020
- In Tokyo, Pompeo Touts Quad Forum as Way to Counter China VOA 06 Oct 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo denounced China's "exploitation, corruption, and coercion" Tuesday as he participated in a high-level forum of Asian leaders that Washington hopes will counter Beijing's growing influence.
- Pompeo Presses Asian Allies to 'Be Forceful' in Response to China's Military Operations Sputnik 06 Oct 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during a visit to Asia on Tuesday called on Washington's allies in the region to build deeper collaboration and be more "forceful" toward China in response to the country's military operations in the South China Sea.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo Opening Remarks at Quad Ministerial US Dept. of State 06 Oct 2020
- Briefing with Senior State Department Officials on Secretary Pompeo's Visit to Japan US Dept. of State 06 Oct 2020
- Taiwan protests renaming of contested islands by Japanese locality CNA 01 Oct 2020 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) on Thursday protested the renaming, by a Japanese local government, of the administrative designation of a group of islands claimed by Taiwan, China and Japan.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list