Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2020 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Japanese Government Creates Task Force to Fight Spread of Coronavirus – Reports Sputnik 30 Jan 2020 -- The Japanese government decided on Thursday to create a task force to prevent the further spread of a new coronavirus, the NHK broadcaster reported.
- US, Japan Launch Exercise Northern Viper USMC News 28 Jan 2020 -- Japan and U.S. armed forces will conduct training exercise Northern Viper at Hokudaien and Yausubetsu Training Areas in the Hokkaido Prefecture of Japan from Jan. 26 to Feb. 8, 2020.
- Russia Expels Japanese National Accused of Espionage - Foreign Ministry Sputnik 27 Jan 2020 -- Moscow previously stated that the man had been detained for trying to obtain classified data about Russian military resources.
- Japan's Government Adopts Measures to Counter Spread of New Coronavirus - Reports Sputnik 21 Jan 2020 -- The Japanese government on Tuesday adopted a set of measures to fight the spread of a new type of coronavirus after the first case was confirmed in the country, NHK broadcaster reported.
- Statement from the President on the 60th Anniversary of the United States-Japan Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security The White House 18 Jan 2020
- Joint Statement on Sixtieth Anniversary of the Signing of the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security Between the United States of America and Japan DoD 17 Jan 2020 -- The text of the following statement was released by Secretary of State Michael Pompeo and Secretary of Defense Mark Esper for the Government of the United States of America and by Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi and Defense Minister Taro Kono for the Government of Japan on the occasion of 60th Anniversary of the Signing of the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security between the United States of America and Japan.
- Japan Confirms Case of Coronavirus Behind Outbreak in China VOA 16 Jan 2020 -- Japan has confirmed its first case of a strain of a coronavirus that has killed one man and sickened 41 others in China since last month.
- Secretary Esper and Minister Kono Press Conference DoD 14 Jan 2020 -- Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper; Japanese Defense Minister Tara Kono
- US to Continue Defence Exercises with Japan, South Korea – Pentagon Sputnik 15 Jan 2020 -- The United States will continue military exercises with Japan and South Korea as it sees the trilateral alliance vital for the stability in the Pacific challenged by North and China, US Secretary of Defence Mark Esper told reporters.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper's Meeting With Japanese Defense Minister Taro Kono DoD 14 Jan 2020 -- On January 14, Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper hosted Japanese Defense Minister Taro Kono at the Pentagon, where they reaffirmed the strength of the U.S.-Japan Alliance and reflected on its evolution since the signing of the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security sixty years ago.
- Esper, Japanese Counterpart Reaffirm Bilateral Defense Relationship DoD News 14 Jan 2020 -- Defense Secretary Dr. Mark T. Esper and Japanese Defense Minister Taro Kono met at the Pentagon to reaffirm the defense relationship between the United States and Japan.
- Japan Sends Two Patrol Aircraft to Middle East for Maritime Surveillance - Reports Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- According to the NHK broadcaster, the aircraft will collect and report intelligence that will help ensure safe maritime passage to commercial vessels with ties to Japan.
- Philippines, Japan Discuss Strengthening Indo-Pacific Security Radio Free Asia 09 Jan 2020 -- The Philippines and Japan on Thursday discussed enhancing bilateral cooperation on security in the Indo-Pacific region, particularly the contested South China Sea, as Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi paid his first official visit to Manila in that role.
- Japan's Plans to Send Patrol Ship to Gulf of Oman Unaffected by Iran-US Conflict - Gov't Sputnik 08 Jan 2020 -- The confrontation between the United States and Iran does not affect Tokyo's plans to send a warship to patrol the Gulf of Oman, Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said on Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list