Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2019 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Japan, South Korea Scramble to Intercept Chinese Spy Plane Sputnik 25 Feb 2019 -- Japan and South Korea scrambled their fighter jets Saturday to intercept a Chinese spy plane flying close to their airspace. The surveillance aircraft never entered either country's airspace, though.
- PM Abe: Japan to proceed with US base relocation despite Okinawa vote outcome Press TV 25 Feb 2019 -- Japanese Prime Minster Shinzo Abe says Tokyo will proceed with a controversial plan to relocate a US air base in Okinawa, turning a deaf ear to the outcome of a referendum on the island, in which locals resoundingly voiced their opposition to the construction of a new American base there.
- US Base in Okinawa to Be Relocated Despite Referendum Results - Japanese PM Abe Sputnik 25 Feb 2019 -- A total of 72.2 percent of those who voted in the referendum on the Japanese island of Okinawa voted against plans to build a new military airfield for US troops in their prefecture, the referendum's results showed on 25 February.
- Okinawans vote on high-interest plan to relocate US military base Press TV 24 Feb 2019 -- The people of the Japanese island of Okinawa have taken part in a referendum to determine what percentage of the residents are opposed to the government's controversial plan to relocate a US airbase there.
- Japan's Okinawa 'Votes Against' Controversial US Base Relocation – Authorities Sputnik 24 Feb 2019 -- About 70 percent of Okinawans oppose the new US base in the prefecture, interim results of the referendum vote count revealed on Sunday.
- Tokyo intends to ignore referendum on US base in Okinawa: PM Abe Press TV 23 Feb 2019 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says he intends to ignore Okinawan people's opinion and proceed with the government's controversial plan to relocate a US airbase on the island.
- Japanese Probe Hayabusa2 Touches Down on Ryugu Asteroid Sputnik 22 Feb 2019 -- Japanese asteroid explorer Hayabusa2 landed on the surface of asteroid Ryugu for collecting samples and bringing them back to Earth, a live broadcast conducted by Japanese space agency JAXA showed on Friday.
- Japan to Host US Missiles Despite Russian Claim That They Violate the INF Treaty Sputnik 20 Feb 2019 -- Tokyo has acquired Aegis Ashore air defence systems and plans to install them within four years in order to mitigate the nuclear threat from North Korea. Moscow believes that the deployment of these systems contradicts the Cold War-era treaty because they can be used to launch cruise missiles.
- Japan Self-Defence Forces Lose Contact With F-2 Fighter - Reports Sputnik 20 Feb 2019 -- The Japan Self-Defence Forces lost contact on Wednesday with one of their F-2 fighters off the coast of the Yamaguchi Prefecture, local media reported.
- Japan scrambles jets as Russian bombers fly by Press TV 15 Feb 2019 -- Russian nuclear-capable bombers have carried out a routine flight over international waters in the Sea of Japan, with Tokyo nevertheless responding to that passage.
- Okinawa set for referendum on US base relocation Press TV 15 Feb 2019 -- Official campaigning has kicked off in Japan's Okinawa for a referendum on a controversial plan to relocate a US airbase, which has long been a source of concern for residents on the tiny island.
- Japan to Promote Relocation of US Base in Okinawa Regardless of Referendum Sputnik 14 Feb 2019 -- The Japanese government will continue to promote the relocation of a US military base in Okinawa regardless of the outcome of a referendum in the prefecture on that issue, Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said on Thursday at a press conference.
- Japan Sets Up Crisis HQ After Incident With Chinese Ship - Reports Sputnik 11 Feb 2019 -- The Japanese government created a crisis response headquarters on Monday after a Chinese patrol ship entered Japanese territorial waters next to the disputed islands in the East China Sea, NHK broadcaster reported.
- Japanese-Russian Peace Treaty Should Not Be Left for Next Generation - Abe Sputnik 10 Feb 2019 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe reiterated on Sunday his commitment to continue negotiations with Russia on the peace treaty, stressing that this issue should not be left for future generations to solve.
- Japan protests China gas activity in East China Sea Press TV 09 Feb 2019 -- Japan has lodged a protest with China over its "continued deployment" of a drillship at a gas field in the East China Sea, which has been the subject of a territorial dispute between the two sides.
- Japan's Hayabusa-2 Probe Expected to Land on Asteroid Ryugu in Late February Sputnik 07 Feb 2019 -- Officials with the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) announced this week that the Hayabusa-2 probe is expected to land on the Ryugu asteroid at roughly 8 a.m. local time on February 22, 2019.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list