Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2018 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Japan Shares Video of South Korean Ship Allegedly Locking Radar on Plane Sputnik 28 Dec 2018 -- Japan's Ministry of Defense released video footage on Friday to support its claims that a South Korean naval ship locked its fire-control radar antenna onto a Japanese plane during a patrol in the Sea of Japan.
- Japan Reportedly Sent Out Jets to Intercept Chinese Spy Plane Over E China Sea Sputnik 28 Dec 2018 -- Japan has regularly scrambled its jets to escort Chinese aircraft approaching close to national airspace in 2018, with a previous incident taking place on 14 December and the overall number of intercepts reaching 7 in just the last half of this year.
- Japan reports 'extremely dangerous' radar lock after unveiling record military budget Press TV 22 Dec 2018 -- Japan has strongly protested to South Korea, saying a South Korean warship had locked its targeting radar on a Japanese surveillance aircraft.
- Japan unveils record defense spending amid plans to buy more US weapons Press TV 21 Dec 2018 -- Japan has unveiled a record military budget to buy advanced stealth fighters from the US and convert two ships into aircraft carriers, prompting angry protests from its neighbors.
- Taiwan reiterates claim over Diaoyutais amid Japan protest CNA 20 Dec 2018 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) reiterated Thursday Taiwan's claim over the disputed Diaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea after the Japanese government issued a protest to the ministry as it found a record number of Taiwanese fishing vessels operating near the islands that are claimed by both countries.
- Japan Scrambles to Intercept Russian Su-24 Over International Waters Sputnik 20 Dec 2018 -- The Japan Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF) scrambled fighters to intercept a Russian Su-24 Fencer ground attack aircraft over the Sea of Japan Wednesday, Tokyo announced shortly after the event. It was the second time in a week Japan rushed to meet foreign planes. Meanwhile, Japan has moved to massively expand its air fleet.
- Japan approves new defense guidelines amid controversies, opposition People's Daily 19 Dec 2018 -- Japan on Tuesday approved new defense guidelines, part of which includes the controversial upgrading and deployment of aircraft carriers in a move unprecedented since the end of World War II.
- As Peace Treaty Talk Heats Up, Russian Lawmakers Want Clarification On Kurile Islands RFE/RL 18 Dec 2018 -- Russian lawmakers have asked for an explanation following media reports quoting Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov as saying that Moscow could potentially hand over two islands in the disputed Southern Kuriles chain to Japan.
- Japan 'to buy more American military equipment to counter China, Russia' Press TV 18 Dec 2018 -- Japan has approved defense plans to buy more American stealth fighters and other equipment in order to boost its capabilities against regional powers Russia and China.
- Beijing: Tokyo's New Defence Guidelines Jeopardize Regional Stability Sputnik 18 Dec 2018 -- China opposes Japan's criticism of its military development as well as incitement of a so-called Chinese security threat in Tokyo's recently approved defense guidelines, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
- Japan to Create Space, Cyberdefense Units, Boost AI Use - Defense Plan Sputnik 18 Dec 2018 -- Japan's defense guidelines for a decade to come, which the country's government approved on Tuesday, envisage creating space and cyberdefense units, while the application of artificial intelligence will be expanded.
- Japan adopts new defense guidelines NHK World 17 Dec 2018 -- Japan has approved new defense guidelines, including a plan to upgrade an existing destroyer into a de-facto aircraft carrier.
- Russia Builds New Military Barracks On Disputed Islands Near Japan RFE/RL 17 Dec 2018 -- Russia says it has built new barracks to house its troops on a disputed island chain near Japan and will build more military facilities there next year.
- Japan plans to upgrade Izumo destroyer into aircraft carrier with fighter jets People's Daily 15 Dec 2018 -- Japan's ruling camp has approved the final draft of the new defense guidelines, which includes plans to transform the Izumo flat-top destroyer from a mere "helicopter carrier" into an aircraft carrier capable of launching fighter jets, local media reported Friday.
- U.S. and Japan strengthen alliance at Yama Sakura 75 Army News 14 Dec 2018 -- Throughout the command post at Camp Higashi-Chitose, Hokkaido, Japan, Soldiers from America's First Corps and the Japan Northern Army discuss ideas and strategies, use interpreters and gestures to navigate the language barrier and learn the nuances in the ways each force operates at Yama Sakura 75, Dec. 10-16, 2018.
- Japanese Gov't Starts Reclamation Work for US Base Sparking Protests in Okinawa Sputnik 14 Dec 2018 -- The Japanese government launched the landfill work aimed at relocating the US Marine Corps Air Station Futenma in the southern Japanese prefecture of Okinawa on Friday, sparking protests by local residents and strong opposition of Okinawa's authorities who have long fought it.
- The Best Defense? Japan's Controversial F-35 Carrier Upgrade Confirmed Sputnik 13 Dec 2018 -- The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force has confirmed long-held suspicions that the JS Izumo, a helicopter carrier, will be retrofitted into a full-on aircraft carrier to accommodate F-35B aircraft, Japanese media report.
- Japan's Maritime Self-Defense to Recruit Female Submarine Crew Members - Reports Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force (MSDF) will be recruiting female staff for its submarine crews in a bid to make up labor shortage, local media reported.
- Japan seeks record defense spending in 5-year plan: Report Press TV 08 Dec 2018 -- Japan is reportedly planning to increase its defense spending to a record high level over the next five years amid heightened US pressure to buy more American military equipment and join Washington to counter China.
- Relocation of US Okinawa Base Suspended at Local Authorities' Request - Reports Sputnik 04 Dec 2018 -- Land reclamation work aimed at relocating a US military base in the southern Japanese prefecture of Okinawa has been suspended at the request of local authorities, who argued that the military officials failed to provide necessary documentation related to the issue, NHK reported Tuesday, citing Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya.
- Japan mulls order for F-35 stealth jets on aircraft carrier Press TV 01 Dec 2018 -- Japan plans to order about 100 US-designed F-35 stealth fighter jets with an option to take off and land vertically, which suggests Tokyo might be developing aircraft carriers for the first time since World War II.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list