Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2018 - Japan Special Weapons News
- US B-52 Bomber Flies with Japanese Jets in East China Sea Sputnik 28 Sep 2018 -- The US Pacific Air Forces released photos on Thursday showing two Japanese fighter jets escorting a US B-52 bomber across the East China Sea and the Sea of Japan earlier this week.
- Japan and US Jointly Conduct Air Force Drills Over East China Sea – Statement Sputnik 28 Sep 2018 -- The Japan Air Self-Defense Forces (Koku-Jieitai) have conducted joint drills with the US B-52 strategic bomber over the East China Sea and the Sea of Japan, the Japanese military said on Friday.
- Japan 'ready to break shell of distrust with North Korea' Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has declared his readiness "to break the shell of mutual distrust with North Korea" and meet with its leader, Kim Jong-un.
- Japan Eyes Supersonic Glide Bombs to Protect Disputed Islands from China Sputnik 25 Sep 2018 -- Preparing for the worst with one of its neighbors, Japan has ordered researchers to develop new glide bombs in case Beijing decides to make a move on the Diaoyu Islands in the East China Sea.
- Japanese submarine conducts first naval exercises in South China Sea Press TV 17 Sep 2018 -- A Japanese submarine has for the first time joined a naval drill in the South China Sea, in a move likely to anger Beijing which claims most of the disputed waters.
- Japanese Submarine Taking Part in S China Drills for 1st Time - Defense Ministry Sputnik 17 Sep 2018 -- A submarine from the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force is engaged in the drills in the South China Sea for the first time, the Japanese Defense Ministry said in a statement.
- Putin, Abe Reportedly Discussed Upcoming Peace Treaty Negotiations Sputnik 15 Sep 2018 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Russian President Vladimir Putin exchanged opinions about the upcoming talks after Putin expressed his initiative on the peace treaty between the two countries, local media reported.
- Japan Successfully Tests Missile Interceptor off Hawaiian Coast Sputnik 13 Sep 2018 -- The Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force successfully demonstrated its ability to intercept and destroy a ballistic missile in a Tuesday test off the coast of Hawaii, marking another step toward self-sufficiency in missile defense as the US Navy grows weary of performing the role in Japanese waters.
- Japan Successfully Tests Ship-Launched Interceptor Rocket Over Pacific Sputnik 13 Sep 2018 -- The Japanese navy, in its first test of an upgraded ship-launched SM-3 interceptor rocket, successfully destroyed a ballistic missile target over the Pacific Ocean, the US defense contractor Raytheon announced in a press release on Wednesday.
- In Surprise Move, Putin Proposes Signing Peace Pact With Japan This Year RFE/RL 12 Sep 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has proposed signing a World War II peace treaty with Japan by the end of the year "without preconditions."
- Japan – E-2D Advanced Hawkeye Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircraft DSCA 10 Sep 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Japan of up to nine (9) E-2D Advanced Hawkeye (AHE) Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) aircraft for an estimated cost of $3.135 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on Sept. 7, 2018.
- Putin Meets With Japan's Abe, Pledges 'Close Contacts' On North Korea RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin held talks with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, discussing North Korea's nuclear program and other issues in the first of several planned meetings with visiting Asian leaders.
- Australia, New Zealand to help Japan enforce North Korea sanctions Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- Australia and New Zealand say they will send surveillance aircraft to Japan to help the enforcement of United Nations sanctions against North Korea.
- Japan talking 'tenaciously' to US on Iran oil imports Press TV 05 Sep 2018 -- Japan says it is pressing the US for exemptions from new sanctions to continue oil imports from Iran.
- China unilaterally increasing military activities in disputed sea: Japan defense chief Press TV 03 Sep 2018 -- The Japanese defense chief claims China is "unilaterally" stepping up its military activities in the East China Sea, which has been the subject of a territorial dispute between Beijing and Tokyo.
- Japan to Suspend Iran Oil Imports Over US Pressure - Reports Sputnik 03 Sep 2018 -- Japan's major oil companies are preparing to halt all of the crude oil imports from Iran in October due to fears Washington will sanction countries importing Iranian crude, AFP reported Monday, citing Jiji Press agency.
- Japanese Oil Wholesalers 'Prepare To Suspend' Iranian Imports RFE/RL 03 Sep 2018 -- Japanese news media are reporting that the country's major oil wholesalers are preparing to suspend crude imports next month.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list