Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2018 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Japan's military seeks record spending amid US push Press TV 31 Aug 2018 -- Japan is seeking a record-high spending next year to help pay for US missile systems and warplanes amid calls from Washington to increase purchase of American weapons.
- Ronald Reagan Strike Group, JMSDF Participate in Bilateral Training NNS 31 Aug 2018 -- The Ronald Reagan Strike Group and Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, Escort Flotilla 4 Battle Group, participated in bilateral training Aug. 31 while underway in the South China Sea.
- Japan, N Korea Held Secret Talks in Vietnam Without Informing US – Reports Sputnik 29 Aug 2018 -- Senior officials from Japan and North Korea held secret negotiations in Vietnam in July without the United States' knowledge, The Washington Post reported, citing informed sources.
- Defense of Japan 2018 - Digest Japan Ministry of Defense 27 Aug 2018
- Japan's defense report: Anti-missile system needed NHK 28 Aug 2018 -- Japan's annual defense report stresses the need to introduce a new ballistic missile defense system, citing nuclear and missile threats from North Korea.
- Japan says North Korea still a 'serious, imminent threat' Press TV 28 Aug 2018 -- Japan says North Korea continues to pose a "serious and imminent threat" to the country despite Pyongyang's suspension of its missile and nuclear tests as well as diplomacy involving the United States and South Korea.
- Japan, China weigh options to retain Iran oil imports Press TV 28 Aug 2018 -- Japan's minister of economy, trade and industry says the country's refiners need to make their own decisions as to whether import oil from Iran.
- Tokyo Says Pyongyang 'Appears to Possess Several Hundred Nodong Missiles' Sputnik 28 Aug 2018 -- Japan still considers North Korean nuclear and missile program "an unprecedentedly serious and imminent" threat to its security despite the alleviation of tensions on the Korean peninsula, the country's Defense Ministry said in an annual white paper on Tuesday.
- Wasp ARG Conducts PASSEX with JMSDF NNS 27 Aug 2018 -- Ships assigned to the Wasp Amphibious Ready Group (ARG), with attached 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, partnered with Japan Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) amphibious transport dock ship JS Osumi (LST 4001) to conduct a passing exercise (PASSEX), Aug. 26.
- Japan's Saga Prefecture Governor Agrees to Deploy 17 Osprey Aircraft – Reports Sputnik 24 Aug 2018 -- Japan's Saga Prefecture Governor Yoshinori Yamaguchi has agreed with the defense ministry's plan to deploy 17 Osprey tiltrotor military aircraft in the prefecture, the NHK broadcaster reported.
- NATO and Japan conduct joint exercise in the Baltic Sea NATO 22 Aug 2018 -- Naval forces from Standing NATO Maritime Group One conducted a passing exercise with a Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force squadron in the Baltic Sea on Tuesday (21 August 2018). NATO ships sailed alongside cadet training vessel JS Kashima and destroyer JS Makinami for the drills. Japan is NATO's longest-standing partner from outside Europe, and we work together on a range of issues, from security in Afghanistan to nuclear non-proliferation, maritime and cyber security.
- NATO Maritime Group Sails with Japanese Training Squadron NATO 22 Aug 2018 -- Yesterday, Standing NATO Maritime Group One (SNMG1) participated in a Passing Exercise (PASSEX) with a Japan Maritime Self Defense Force training squadron that is currently sailing in the Baltic Sea. SNMG1 spent the day with JMSDF cadet training vessel JS Kashima and the destroyer JS Makinami.
- Japan, Sri Lanka Agree to Boost Maritime Security Cooperation Sputnik 21 Aug 2018 -- Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera is on a two-day visit to Sri Lanka. The visit is expected to enhance the defense cooperation between the two countries amid the growing assertiveness of China in the Indian Ocean region. In addition to seeking maritime cooperation, Japan is helping Sri Lanka fulfill several economic projects.
- Ronald Reagan Strike Group and JMSDF Conduct Bilateral Training NNS 17 Aug 2018 -- The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group (CSG), JS Kirishima, and Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) personnel from the Commander, Escort Division (CCD) 6 embarked aboard the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) started bilateral training Aug. 14.
- US, Japan Putting $9 Billion Into Developing Guam as Okinawa Alternative Sputnik 13 Aug 2018 -- A multibillion US-Japan project to develop the island of Guam as a base for more US Marines is underway following years of complaints about the US military's footprint in Okinawa, Japan.
- Japanese PM Confirms Tokyo's Non-Participation in Nuclear Weapons Ban Treaty Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- On Monday Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe noted that Tokyo has not reversed its decision on non-participation in the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW), while marking the 73rd anniversary of the US atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
- Australia-Japan-United States Trilateral Strategic Dialogue Joint Ministerial Statement US Dept. of State 05 Aug 2018 -- The Minister for Foreign Affairs of Australia, Julie Bishop, the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, Taro Kono, and the Secretary of State for the United States, Michael R. Pompeo, met in Singapore on August 4, 2018 for the eighth ministerial meeting of the Trilateral Strategic Dialogue (TSD).
- Secretary Pompeo's Meeting With Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono US Dept. of State 04 Aug 2018
- Japan Slams South Korea for Sending Its Ship to Disputed Islands Sputnik 03 Aug 2018 -- Tokyo filed a protest with Seoul on Friday over a ship researching waters around a group of South Korea's tiny islets contested by Japan, cabinet spokesman Yoshihide Suga said.
- Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force Conducts Underwater Mine Countermeasures during RIMPAC 2018 NNS 01 Aug 2018 -- Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) personnel are conducting underwater mine countermeasure (MCM) operations with a mobile diving center, staged at Naval Base Point Loma, in support of Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise 2018 in the southern California (SOCAL) area of operations.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list