Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2018 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Japan to reduce plutonium stockpile NK 31 Jul 2018 -- Japan's government commission on nuclear energy has decided to reduce the country's stockpile of plutonium.
- Japan May Withdraw PAC-3 Missile Interceptors As Korean Tensions Ease – Reports Sputnik 30 Jul 2018 -- The Japanese Defense Ministry is considering withdrawing on Monday surface-to-air Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) ballistic missile interceptors deployed in the country's north and west to counter possible missile launches from North Korea, the NHK broadcaster reported citing the ministry's officials.
- Japan Intercepts Chinese Surveillance Plane Over East China Sea - Reports Sputnik 29 Jul 2018 -- Relations between Japan and China have long been strained over wartime history and territorial disputes in the South China Sea.
- All Aum Doomsday Cult Members Executed in Japan Sputnik 26 Jul 2018 -- Six more members of Japan's notorious doomsday cult behind a deadly nerve agent attack in a Tokyo subway have been executed, local media reported Thursday.
- India, Japan Gearing Up For First Joint Military Exercise Sputnik 25 Jul 2018 -- The two countries are also exploring possibilities to enhance cooperation between the Japan Air Self Defense Force and Indian Air Force by enabling visits by their aircraft to each other's air bases.
- Japan's Expenses for US Aegis Ashore Systems Deployment to Grow by 30% - Reports Sputnik 22 Jul 2018 -- The Japanese Defense Ministry plans to increase expenditures for deployment of a US land-based missile defense systems, Aegis Ashore by 20-30 percent up to 250 billion yen ($2.2 billion), The Mainichi Shimbun newspaper reported citing military sources on Sunday.
- Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo, Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono, and South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha at a Press Availability US Dept. of State 08 Jul 2018
- Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 08 Jul 2018
- Japan to send helicopter carrier to South China Sea Press TV 04 Jul 2018 -- Japan has decided to send a large helicopter carrier to the South China Sea and the Indian Ocean for a second straight year, sources say, in a move that is likely to anger China.
- 'Japan to buy Lockheed Martin radar for missile system' Press TV 03 Jul 2018 -- Japan has reportedly picked major US military contractor Lockheed Martin Corp. to provide advanced radar for its multi-billion-dollar missile defense system.
- Japan Reduces Alert Level for North Korean Ballistic Missile Launches - Reports Sputnik 02 Jul 2018 -- Japan has lowered its alert level for North Korean ballistic missile launches amid the easing of tensions that resulted from the landmark June 12 summit between the US and North Korean leaders, the Kyodo news agency reported Monday, citing government sources.
- Japan May Start to Use Unmanned Flying Vehicles by 2020 – Reports Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- The Japanese government is going to create a special council this year to develop the necessary basis for practical use of unmanned flying vehicles by 2020, the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper reported on Sunday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list