Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2018 - Japan Special Weapons News
- U.S.-Japan Alliance 'Cornerstone' to Indo-Pacific Stability, Mattis Says AFPS 30 Jun 2018 -- The United States and Japan are strong allies firmly committed to peace and security in the Indo-Pacific region, Defense Secretary James N. Mattis said yesterday in Tokyo.
- Media Availability with Secretary Mattis and Defense Minister Onodera, Tokyo, Japan DoD 29 Jun 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary Of Defense James N. Mattis; Japanese Minister of Defense Itsunori Onodera
- Japan to buy US-made advanced radar despite North Korea thaw Press TV 29 Jun 2018 -- Japan is set to pick a US-made advanced radar as early as next week to upgrade its missile system.
- Joint Statement on the Second U.S.-Japan Pacific Dialogue US Dept. of State 28 Jun 2018 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America and Japan on the occasion of the second U.S.-Japan Pacific Dialogue.
- Following in US, South Korea's footsteps, Japan cancels own drills Press TV 21 Jun 2018 -- Japan has reportedly decided to suspend a number of drills following the relative easing of tensions on the Korean Peninsula that has come amid renewed diplomacy with North Korea.
- S.Korea to conduct military exercises near controversial islets claimed by Japan People's Daily 19 Jun 2018 -- The South Korean military planned to conduct defensive exercises near Dokdo islets, called Takeshima in Japan, over which Tokyo has claimed its sovereignty, Seoul's defense ministry said Monday.
- South Korea holds war games near disputed islands in warning to Japan Press TV 18 Jun 2018 -- The South Korean military is set to launch war games off its east coast with the aim of preventing "an invasion" of the Dokdo islands, which have been at the center of a territorial dispute between Seoul and Tokyo.
- Tokyo Opposes Seoul's Military Drills in Disputed Liancourt Rocks Area Sputnik 18 Jun 2018 -- The Japanese government expressed protest on Monday over South Korea holding its regular military exercise in the area of the disputed Liancourt Rocks, known as Dokdo or Tokto in Korean, and Takeshima in Japanese.
- Mattis Calls South Korean, Japanese Counterparts Following Summit AFPS 14 Jun 2018 -- Defense Secretary James N. Mattis spoke by phone today to Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera and South Korean Defense Minister Song Young-moo in two separate calls to discuss the results of the recent summit between the U.S. and North Korea, chief Pentagon spokesperson Dana W. White said in statements released following the calls.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Phone Call with Japan's Minister of Defense Itsunori Onodera DoD 14 Jun 2018
- Press Availability With Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha and Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono US Dept. of State 14 Jun 2018 -- Press Availability by Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Tokyo Not Mulling Summit With Pyongyang, Japan's Foreign Minister Says Sputnik 14 Jun 2018 -- Japan is not looking into opportunities for direct talks with North Korea after reports of arrangements being made for a summit between their two leaders this year, its foreign minister said.
- North Korea's Kim Hopes for One-on-One Meeting With Abe – Reports Sputnik 14 Jun 2018 -- North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un said he wanted to meet with Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Japanese media reported.
- Japan Protests Russian Plan To Lay Cable To Disputed Kurile Islands RFE/RL 12 Jun 2018 -- Japan has lodged a protest against Russia's plan to lay fiber-optic cables to disputed islands that lay between the two countries, calling the construction work illegal and "extremely deplorable."
- Japan Successfully Tests H-IIA Launch Vehicle With New Research Satellite - JAXA Sputnik 12 Jun 2018 -- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) on Tuesday successfully tested a H-IIA Launch Vehicle with a new research satellite, according to the agency's live stream of the lift-off.
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Abe of Japan Before Bilateral Meeting The White House 07 Jun 2018
- U.S., Indian and Japanese maritime forces to participate in exercise Malabar 2018 NNS 07 Jun 2018 -- Naval ships, aircraft and personnel from India, Japan and the United States will participate in exercise Malabar 2018, June 7 through 16 off the coast of Guam.
- Before Trump-Kim Summit, Japan's PM Visits White House VOA 07 Jun 2018 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is visiting the White House on Thursday to impress upon President Donald Trump Japan's interests ahead of Trump's historic summit next week with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- Japan seeks US assurances that all of North Korea's ballistic missiles will be removed Press TV 06 Jun 2018 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe reportedly plans to ask US President Donald Trump that any potential US deal with North Korea take into account Japan's "security concerns," including the removal of ballistic missiles of all ranges.
- Japanese Politician: Moscow, Tokyo to Take Increasing Role in North Korean Issue Sputnik 06 Jun 2018 -- The stance of Russia and Japan on the issue of North Korean denuclearization is going to gain importance and may even turn out to be decisive, Muneo Suzuki, head of the Hokkaido-based New Party Daichi and an unofficial adviser to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Russian affairs, told Sputnik.
- Japan says wants US to ease Iran oil import curbs Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- Japan says it is trying to seek an exemption from the US to maintain its oil imports from Iran as the administration of US President Donald Trump is preparing to reinstate sanctions against the country.
- Japan, South Korea disagree on engaging North Korea's Kim in dialog Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- Japan's Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera has challenged his South Korean counterpart on the need to engage the North in dialogue, insisting on unilateral dismantlement of Pyongyang's entire weapons program.
- Japan Defense Chief Warns Against Rewarding North Korea for Willingness to Talk Sputnik 02 Jun 2018 -- Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera on Saturday warned the international community against rewarding North Korea solely for agreeing to engage in a dialogue.
- Readout of Bilateral Meeting with Japan Defense Minister DoD 01 Jun 2018
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list