Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2018 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Japan, US See Inter-Korean Summit as Step Toward Peace in North-East Asia - Abe Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- Japan and the United States consider the inter-Korean summit to be a step toward achieving peace and stability in the North-East Asian region, but will continue to monitor Pyongyang's actions, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Sunday.
- Readout of President Donald J. Trump's Call with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan The White House 28 Apr 2018
- Trump Discusses North Korea With Leaders of South Korea and Japan VOA 28 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump expressed optimism about a planned meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un following conversations Saturday with South Korean President Moon Jae-in and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
- Dialogue With N Korea Possible After S Korea, US Summits With Pyongyang - Abe Sputnik 24 Apr 2018 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told South Korean President Moon Jae-in that Japan could begin a dialogue with North Korea if the upcoming talks of the leader of North Korea with those of South Korea and the United States were successful, the South Korean presidential administration said Tuesday.
- Coalition of Military Help for Philippines Will Put China on Higher Alert VOA 23 Apr 2018 -- Participation this year by Australia and Japan in annual U.S.-Philippine military exercises will raise pressure on China and could spark an escalation of military drills, experts say.
- Canada Signs Deal With Japan Allowing to Use Each Other's Military Equipment Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- Ottawa and Tokyo concluded a bilateral Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement which will step up military cooperation between the two states, and allow them to use each other's military equipment in various operations, the Global Affairs department of the Canadian government said in a statement on Sunday.
- Japan Asks Lockheed Martin to Craft Hybrid F-35 and F-22 Aircraft Sputnik 21 Apr 2018 -- Tokyo and Lockheed Martin are reportedly discussing the creation of a hybrid F-22 and F-35 fighter aircraft to protect Japanese airspace starting in 2030.
- Japan's Abe Lauds North Korea Move to End Nuclear Tests Sputnik 21 Apr 2018 -- Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Saturday praised the move by North Korea to halt nuclear and long-range missile testing.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James Mattis' Meeting with Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera DoD 20 Apr 2018
- Remarks By Secretary Mattis At An Enhanced Honor Cordon Welcoming Japan Minister Of Defense Itsunori Onodera To The Pentagon DoD 20 Apr 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary Of Defense James N. Mattis; Japan Minister of Defense Itsunori Onodera
- Lockheed Martin may sell stealth jet designs to Japan Press TV 20 Apr 2018 -- US weapons contractor Lockheed Martin Corp has plans to sell Japan a stealth fighter design based on its export-banned F-22 Raptor and advanced F-35 Lightning II aircraft.
- Japan, Australia to take part in Philippine-US military drills Press TV 19 Apr 2018 -- Thousands of American, Japanese, Australian and Filipino troops are scheduled to take part in joint military drills in the Philippines.
- What Does Japan Expect from Talks with US Next Week? VOA 13 Apr 2018 -- Trade and North Korea's nuclear and missile programs will be the key topics for Japan during U.S. President Donald Trump's meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe next week.
- Japan's ShinMaywa to Build US-2 Amphibious Aircraft in India Sputnik 12 Apr 2018 -- It is not clear who the consumer of the aircraft would be as discussions on the procurement of the aircraft for the Indian Navy has hit a logjam with Japan initially unwilling to reduce prices and allow transfer of technology and now with the Indian Navy facing a severe fund crisis.
- U.S.-Japan Maritime Forces Conduct Navigational Maneuvers in East China Sea NNS 11 Apr 2018 -- Ships of the Wasp Expeditionary Strike Group, with embarked 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, sailed together with the amphibious transport dock JS Shimokita (LST 4002) in a bilateral formation, April 9.
- Japan activates first marine force since WWII Press TV 07 Apr 2018 -- Japan has activated its first marine unit since World War II, in what has been declared as a means of "defense of our islands."
- Japan Increasingly Isolated As N. Korea Diplomacy Progresses VOA 04 Apr 2018 -- Prime Minister Shinzo Abe may be looking for reassurance when he meets later this month with U.S. President Donald Trump, given that the Japanese leader has been left out of the rapidly progressing diplomatic talks to resolve the North Korean nuclear threat.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list