Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2018 - Japan Special Weapons News
- China, Japan Vow to Establish Military Hotline to Avoid Maritime Incidents Sputnik 30 Jan 2018 -- During Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono's visit to Beijing, the top diplomats of China and Japan agreed to establish a hotline to avoid maritime military incidents.
- China, Japan agree to hold China-Japan-ROK summit as soon as possible People's Daily 29 Jan 2018 -- China and Japanagreed to hold a new round of China-Japan-ROK leaders' meetings as soon as possible, and foster the proper environment for the trilateral summit.
- Japan deploys first of ten US-made F-35A stealth fighters Press TV 27 Jan 2018 -- Japan has deployed the first of its ten US-made F-35A stealth fighter jets at an airbase in the country's northern regions as tensions continue over Pyongyang's missile testing.
- Japan's F-35A Makes First Deployment to Spy, Defend Airspace Sputnik 26 Jan 2018 -- The Japanese Air Self-Defense Force's first F-35A aircraft has deployed to northeastern Japan "at a time when neighboring countries have been quickly building up their air force capabilities," the island nation's defense minister told reporters Friday.
- Japan Deploys First of Ten F-35A Jets Purchased From US - Defense Minister Sputnik 26 Jan 2018 -- The first of the F-35A fighters Japan had purchased from the United States has been deployed at the Misawa Air Force Base in the north-east of the island of Honshu, Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera said at a press conference on Friday.
- Abe vows constitutional reform amid protests People's Daily 23 Jan 2018 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called for an amendment to the constitution and pledged closer ties with China during a policy speech at this year's regular legislative session on Monday.
- Seoul Voices Protest Over Tokyo's Statement on Disputed Dokdo Islands Sputnik 22 Jan 2018 -- South Korea expressed its regret in a statement on Monday over Japan's recent territorial claims with regard to a disputed island group in the Sea of Japan, called Dokdo by the Koreans and Takeshima by the Japanese.
- Japan Holds First Missile Attack Evacuation Drill Since WWII Sputnik 22 Jan 2018 -- Evacuation drills of the population in the event of the launch of a ballistic missile took place for the first time on Monday in the Bunk area of the Japanese capital.
- Japan to Begin Mass Production of XASM-3 Anti-Ship Missile Sputnik 19 Jan 2018 -- Japan's Ministry of Defense has officially completed development of its new supersonic anti-ship missile, dubbed the XASM-3, with mass production slated to begin in 2019, according to local media reports.
- JAXA launches Epsilon-3 rocket NHK 18 Jan 2018 -- Japan's space agency has successfully launched its Epsilon-3 small rocket, carrying an Earth observation satellite developed by Japanese electronics firm NEC.
- Japan's Aegis Missile Defense System to Receive Commands From Tokyo Sputnik 16 Jan 2018 -- The Aegis Ashore missile defense system that Japan plans to deploy on its territory starting in 2023 will receive commands only from Tokyo and will be used as defense only, the country's Foreign Ministry told Sputnik, following a remark made by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov about Washington's potential use of the system.
- NHK apologizes for false missile alert NHK 16 Jan 2018 -- NHK is apologizing after issuing a false alert that said North Korea had probably launched a missile and warned people in Japan to take cover.
- Japan Apologizes for False North Korean Missile Alert Sputnik 16 Jan 2018 -- The public broadcaster NHK issued an on-air apology after it mistakenly sent the alert to its website and to users of its app on Tuesday.
- Japanese Broadcaster Issues False Alert of North Korean Missile Strike VOA 16 Jan 2018 -- Another false alert about a impending missile strike from North Korea was issued Tuesday – this time in Japan.
- Japan Accuses China of Encroaching on Disputed Islands with Warships, Submarines Sputnik 13 Jan 2018 -- Japan has publicly complained to China's Foreign Ministry about the "provocative" movement of People's Liberation Army-Navy (PLAN) warships and submarines encroaching on an island chain in the East China Sea disputed by the two Asian powers.
- Japan Tightens Patrols Around N Korea at US Request - Reports Sputnik 13 Jan 2018 -- The latest round of sanctions adopted by the UN Security Council against Pyongyang limit refined petroleum exports to 2m barrels a year.
- Japan Warships Patrol Waters Off North Korea to Curb Fuel Smuggling Sputnik 13 Jan 2018 -- Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force has been patrolling the waters off North Korea to warn off ships trying to smuggle fuel in breach of UN sanctions, military officials told local media Saturday.
- Readout of Deputy Secretary Shanahan's Meeting with Japan Minister of State for Space Policy Matsuyama DoD 12 Jan 2018
- US, Japan Hold Joint Military Drill Amid Korea Tensions VOA 12 Jan 2018 -- American and Japanese military forces have launched joint exercises amid tensions with North Korea over its nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
- Japan Protests Presence of Chinese Naval Ships Near Disputed Islands VOA 11 Jan 2018 -- Japan has lodged an official protest with China after a Chinese naval vessel was spotted in the East China Sea near a group of islands claimed by both countries.
- Japan protests after Chinese vessel sails in vicinity of disputed isles Press TV 11 Jan 2018 -- Japan has officially protested to China over an incident in which a Chinese frigate sailed in waters near disputed islands in the East China Sea, calling on Beijing to avoid actions that could impede the betterment of bilateral relations.
- China Urges Japan to Avoid 'Artificial' Incidents Near Disputed Islands Sputnik 11 Jan 2018 -- Beijing has called on Japanese authorities to avoid creating "artificial" incidents around the group of disputed, uninhabited islands in the East China Sea, known as the Senkaku islands in Japan and the Diaoyu islands in China.
- Japan Deploys New Missile Interception System on Aegis Destroyers - Reports Sputnik 11 Jan 2018 -- Japan will use a new missile interception system on its two destroyers, equipped with US Aegis missile defense systems, which will enter operational service in 2019-2020, Japanese newspaper Yomiuri Shimbun reported on Thursday, citing sources in the government.
- US approves sale of anti-ballistic missiles to Japan: Official Press TV 10 Jan 2018 -- The US has approved a $133.3 million sale of anti-ballistic missiles to Japan to defend itself against what Washington says is a growing nuclear and missile threat from North Korea, a State Department official says.
- Japan – Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) Block IIA Missiles DSCA 09 Jan 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Japan of Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) Block IIA missiles for an estimated cost of $133.3 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Mattis' Phone Call with Japan Minister of Defense Itsunori Onodera DoD 08 Jan 2018
- Japan Considering Destroyer Conversion to Counter China, N Korea Sputnik 02 Jan 2018 -- Tokyo is arguing that its plans to ramp up the country's naval might are entirely for defensive purposes and are not at variance with its post-WWII constitution, which bans the nation from having offensive military capability, Japanese media reported.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list