Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2017 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Japan's PM dissolves lower house of parliament for general election People's Daily 28 Sep 2017 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Thursday dissolved the more powerful lower chamber of Japan's bicameral parliament and called a general election.
- Japan's Abe dissolves parliament ahead of snap polls Press TV 28 Sep 2017 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has officially dissolved the lower house of the country's parliament, paving the way for snap elections in which he hopes his party will put up a better showing.
- China Coast Guard vessels patrol Diaoyu Islands People's Daily 25 Sep 2017 -- Four China Coast Guard (CCG) vessels conducted a patrol in territorial waters off the Diaoyu Islands on Monday, according to an online statement by the State Oceanic Administration.
- Chinese vessels sail near disputed islands: Japan Press TV 25 Sep 2017 -- Japan says Chinese coastguard ships have approached a group of disputed islands in the East China Sea, claimed by both Tokyo and Beijing, for the second time in less than a week.
- Japan Moves Missile Interceptor Under Flight Paths of North Korean Missiles Sputnik 21 Sep 2017 -- Japan on Tuesday relocated an anti-missile battery to its Hakodate Base on the northern island of Hokkaido, near the flight paths of the ballistic missiles recently launched by Pyongyang.
- India, Japan Expected to Increase Maritime Activity Aimed at China VOA 20 Sep 2017 -- India and Japan, anxious to keep Asia's dominant power Beijing in check, may send patrols into the contested South China Sea or sell arms to rival states following a pair of high-level meetings this month, experts say.
- China Claims to Have Arrested Japanese Spy Sputnik 19 Sep 2017 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry has announced the arrest of a Japanese citizen who is suspected of espionage. The arrest occurred close to the border between China and North Korea.
- U.S., Japanese, South Korean Aircraft Conduct Show of Force Flights AFPS 18 Sep 2017 -- U.S. Air Force and Marine Corps aircraft joined Japanese and South Korean military aircraft in a sequenced show of force over the Korean Peninsula yesterday in response to North Korea's Sept. 14 launch of an intermediate range ballistic missile over Japan.
- US military forces hold joint military exercises with South Korea, Japan Press TV 18 Sep 2017 -- The United States military has carried out several flights over the Korean Peninsula in joint bombing drills with the South amid escalating tensions between Washington and Pyongyang.
- US, Allied Warplanes Stage Live-fire Exercise Over Korean Peninsula VOA 18 Sep 2017 -- Almost a dozen U.S., Japanese and South Korean warplanes armed with live weapons flew over the Korean peninsula in what the U.S. military is describing as a "sequenced bilateral show of force" in response to North Korea's latest missile launch.
- Japan Makes No Headway in Convincing India to Buy Its Amphibious Aircraft Sputnik 15 Sep 2017 -- Japan has been persuading India to buy its ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft since the last four years but cost factor and India's insistence on the transfer of technology has held Japan back from making its first arms export after lifting of its self-imposed ban.
- India, Japan Agree to Enhance Military Ties and China Does Not Like It Sputnik 15 Sep 2017 -- Japan and India have agreed to enhance cooperation in the India-Pacific region where China is increasingly becoming assertive.
- Japan urges DPRK to change course, return to negotiating table after latest missile launch People's Daily 15 Sep 2017 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Friday called on the international community to unite against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's (DPRK) "provocative acts" and urged the DPRK to change its current course of action.
- VMFA-121 helps prepare JASDF for F-35A USMC News 14 Sep 2017 -- Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121 hosted members of Japan Air Self-Defense Force's Third Air Wing for an educational tour and class centered around the F-35A Lightning II at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, Sept. 13, 2017.
- Japan Calls for Strict Implementation of UN Resolutions Against N. Korea VOA 14 Sep 2017 -- Wrapping up a two-day visit to India, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called for strict enforcement of a U.N. resolution against North Korea over its latest nuclear test.
- North Korea threatens to 'sink' Japan Press TV 14 Sep 2017 -- North Korea has threatened to use nuclear weapons against neighboring Japan and "sink" the island country.
- 'Juche Justice': North Korea Threatens to Unleash Armageddon on Japan Sputnik 14 Sep 2017 -- North Korea has warned that it might use nuclear weapons against Japan and "sink" the island country due to its close ties with the US and its calls to toughen UN sanctions against Pyongyang over its nuclear and missile programs.
- The Japan Times: China, Japan need to shelve Diaoyutais dispute CNA 11 Sep 2017 -- An editorial in Monday's edition of the Japan Times has asked China and Japan to shelve the dispute over the Diaoyutai Islands and instead focus on improving bilateral ties.
- Japan conducts air exercise with US over East China Sea Press TV 09 Sep 2017 -- The Japanese military has conducted a joint aerial combat drill with the United States over the East China Sea amid escalating tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
- DPRK warns U.S., Japan, South Korea against seeking additional sanctions People's Daily 08 Sep 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Thursday warned the United States, Japan and South Korea against seeking additional UN sanctions for its nuclear and missile programs.
- Japan, South Korea Urge Russia To Support Tougher Sanctions On North RFE/RL 07 Sep 2017 -- The leaders of Japan and South Korea called for stronger sanctions against North Korea on visits to Russia's Vladivostok despite Russian President Vladimir Putin's warning against "pushing North Korea into a corner."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list