Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2017 - Japan Special Weapons News
- China urges US, Japan to play 'constructive role' in promoting peace Press TV 21 Aug 2017 -- China has called on the United States and Japan to play a "constructive role" in promoting peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region, stressing that military cooperation between Tokyo and Washington must not harm any third party's interests.
- Japan, US agree to increase military cooperation Press TV 18 Aug 2017 -- Japan and the United States have agreed to increase their military cooperation in an attempt to counter the perceived threat from North Korea, officials have announced.
- China: Japan should not claim Diaoyu Islands with US-Japan Security Treaty People's Daily 18 Aug 2017 -- China said the US-Japan Security Treaty, a product of the Cold War era, should not be used to endorse Japan's claim over the Diaoyu Islands which harms China's sovereignty and rights, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters at a regular press conference on Friday.
- Top US General Commits to Work With Tokyo to Strengthen Missile Defense VOA 18 Aug 2017 -- The top U.S. general and his Japanese counterpart have agreed to work together to strengthen missile defenses for Japan, as Tokyo announced that they will introduce the land-based Aegis Ashore system for additional protection against the North Korean missile threat.
- Joint Statement of the Security Consultative Committee DoD 17 Aug 2017 -- Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, along with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, met with their Japanese counterparts, Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera and Foreign Minister Taro Kono, at the State Department today.
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Meeting with Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera DoD 17 Aug 2017
- Japan to Develop Radar System to Detect Russian, Chinese Stealth Fighters Sputnik 17 Aug 2017 -- The Japanese Defense Ministry is going to develop a next-generation radar system, which would be capable to detect advanced stealth fighters, designed by Russia and China, local media reported Thursday.
- Japan to Deploy Aegis Ashore Amid Increased North Korean Threat Sputnik 17 Aug 2017 -- The Japanese Defense Ministry has decided to consider introducing of Aegis Ashore, the land-based version of Aegis ballistic missile defense system, in the wake of North Korea's advancing missile and nuclear programs, local media reported Thursday.
- Japan, US begin 18-day joint naval maneuvers amid tensions Press TV 14 Aug 2017 -- Tokyo and Washington have launched joint live fire drills on a northern Japanese island, at a time of escalating tensions in Southeast Asia and amid rising fears of a potential conflict between the US and North Korea.
- U.S., Japanese Troops Team Up for Northern Viper Exercise AFPS 14 Aug 2017 -- More than 2,000 U.S. Marines have joined with about 1,500 Japan Self-Defense Force troops to support the first iteration of exercise Northern Viper 2017 at Misawa Air Base, Japan, and on the nearby island of Hokkaido.
- Dunford to Visit China, South Korea, Japan to Discuss Range of Issues AFPS 13 Aug 2017 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is traveling to Asia to reassure allies and improve military-to-military ties during a complicated time in the region.
- Japan deploys missile system after N Korea threat to hit Guam: Report Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- Tokyo has reportedly begun deploying Patriot missile systems after North Korea threatened to target the US Pacific territory of Guam with ballistic missiles traveling over the Japanese skies.
- DPRK accuses U.S., Japan of tightening military alliance People's Daily 11 Aug 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Friday accused the United States and Japan of reckless behavior, saying the two are strengthening their military alliance.
- Commentary: US, Japan, Australia still troublemakers in South China Sea People's Daily 11 Aug 2017 -- ASEAN countries and China recently approved a framework for a code of conduct in the South China Sea at a ministerial meeting between the two parties.
- China defends military activities in Sea of Japan Press TV 11 Aug 2017 -- China has defended its military maneuvers in the Sea of Japan in response to a recent warning by Japan against increasing military activities in the waters.
- 'Strong and Resolute': South Korea, Japan Issue 'Stern Warning' to North Korea Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- South Korea and Japan reaffirmed their support for the US on Thursday following North Korea's announcement that they are considering a ballistic missile attack against Andersen Air Force Base on the US island territory of Guam in Micronesia.
- DPRK slams Japan for "hyping up threats" from Pyongyang People's Daily 10 Aug 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Thursday slammed Japan for "hyping up threats" from the DPRK over its nuclear and missile program.
- Japan's defense paper lying about China: spokesperson People's Daily 10 Aug 2017 -- The China section of Japan's annual defense white paper is full of stereotypes and lies, according to Chinese defense ministry spokesperson Wu Qian.
- Japan's DM on High Alert Amid Reports of N Korea's Miniaturized Nuclear Warhead Sputnik 09 Aug 2017 -- Japan needs to be on high alert after taking into account media reports alleging North Korea can now fit miniaturized nuclear warheads in its ballistic missiles, Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera said Wednesday.
- On Nagasaki Anniversary, North Korea Threat Tests Japan's Nuclear Taboo VOA 09 Aug 2017 -- As North Korea and the United States increase rhetoric on Pyongyang's nuclear weapons program, long-held taboos are being broken in neighboring Japan – the only country to have suffered nuclear bombardment, at the end of World War II.
- China's Defense Ministry rebukes Japan's defense white paper People's Daily 09 Aug 2017 -- China's Defense Ministry on Tuesday expressed strong opposition to Japan's defense white paper for 2017, saying the paper maliciously smeared China and blatantly deceived the international community.
- US, Japan, Australia Urge Binding Code for South China Sea VOA 07 Aug 2017 -- The United States, Japan and Australia expressed "serious concerns" Monday over disputes concerning the South China Sea, while calling for a halt to land reclamation and military actions in the area that could increase tensions or cause permanent environmental damage.
- S. Korea, Japan leaders talk over phone on Korean Peninsula issues People's Daily 07 Aug 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe held talks over the phone on the Korean Peninsula issues, Moon's office said Monday.
- Japan's Foreign Ministry Urges ASEAN to Increase Pressure on N Korea Sputnik 06 Aug 2017 -- Japan urges the ASEAN to the increase of pressure on North Korea amid its nuclear and weapons program, the deputy press secretary of the Japanese Foreign Ministry said Sunday.
- China-Japan oil, gas field dispute flares up again Press TV 02 Aug 2017 -- China has rejected Japanese protests to its oil and gas prospecting in the East China Sea, saying the operations occur in areas "indisputably" under its jurisdiction.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list