Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2017 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Putin, Abe Vow To Work Together To Ease Korea Tensions RFE/RL 27 Apr 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe say they will closely cooperate in an attempt to ease tensions between North Korea and rival nations over Pyongyang's ballistic-missile program.
- US Navy Conducts Simultaneous Bilateral Exercises with JMSDF and ROK NNS 25 Apr 2017 -- U.S. Navy ships are conducting simultaneous bilateral maritime exercises with the Republic of Korea Navy and with the Japan Maritime Self Defense Force today and tomorrow (April 25-26, local time).
- CSG-1 and JMSDF Ships Refine Maritime Skills While Transiting Western Pacific NNS 24 Apr 2017 -- PHILIPPINE SEA- Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) commenced an at-sea bilateral exercise in the Philippine Sea, April 23.
- Japan destroyers begin joint drill with US carrier group People's Daily 24 Apr 2017 -- Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force (MSDF) kicked off a joint drill with American warships in the western Pacific Ocean on Sunday as a fleet led by the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier heads to waters near the Korean Peninsula, The Japan Times reported.
- South Koreans, Japanese Remain Calm as US, North Korea Posture Sputnik 16 Apr 2017 -- As media and lawmakers in Washington ratchet up the threat of war with Pyongyang, those who live in areas close to North Korea shrug their shoulders, unconcerned by what they consider to be business as usual on the peninsula.
- Japan Opposes Presence of Chinese Ships in Disputed Senkaku Islands Waters Sputnik 14 Apr 2017 -- Japan's Foreign Ministry expressed their objections over a phone call to China's Ambassador Cheng Yonghua to the entrance of the country's ship in the waters near the disputed Senkaku Islands, media reported Friday.
- Countering Chinese Advances, Japan Scrambles Record Number of Jets Sputnik 14 Apr 2017 -- As China seeks to move deeper into the Western Pacific, Japan's Defense Ministry reports that the country's fighter jets intercepted foreign aircraft in record numbers in the fiscal year that ended March 30.
- Japan plans to join US strike group headed for Korean Peninsula: Sources Press TV 12 Apr 2017 -- Japan plans a joint military drill with the US Navy strike group that has been heading toward North Korea, potentially escalating an already-tense situation in the region.
- US WC-135 'Nuke Sniffer' Arrives in Japan as World Watches Pyongyang Sputnik 12 Apr 2017 -- As tensions continue to simmer on the Korean Peninsula, due in part to North Korea's continuous nuclear weapons development, a "nuke sniffing" US aircraft arrived at Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, Japan on Friday.
- North Korea Poses Threat of Chemical Attack - Japan's Defense Ministry Sputnik 11 Apr 2017 -- Japan's defense minister said US deterrence was necessary for peace and stability in the region.
- Taiwan-Japan working group on fishery cooperation convenes in Tokyo CNA 10 Apr 2017 -- The first meeting of a working group on fishery cooperation between Taiwan and Japan was held in Tokyo on Sunday, with the members discussing fishing rights and the management of fishery resources, according to Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA).
- UN condemns North Korea missile test, Japan extends unilateral bans Press TV 07 Apr 2017 -- The United Nations has condemned North Korea's latest missile launch, and the Japanese government has extended unilateral sanctions against Pyongyang by two years over the same matter.
- Japanese PM Calls to Maintain N Korea Tracking System Following Missile Test Sputnik 05 Apr 2017 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, at an emergency meeting of the National Security Council, ordered to maintain the tracking system at a high-level in connection with North Korea's new missile test, General Secretary of the Cabinet Yoshihide Suga said on Wednesday.
- Tokyo, Beijing Urge North Korea to Refrain From Missile Test Provocations Sputnik 05 Apr 2017 -- Kenji Kanasugi, Japanese foreign ministry chief of Asia-Pacific affairs, and Chinese Special Representative for Korean Peninsula Affairs Wu Dawei have jointly urged North Korea to abstain from further provocations following their recent missile test, a statement released by the Japanese Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.
- MACS-4, JMSDF stick landings in joint training USMC News 03 Apr 2017 -- Marine Air Control Squadron 4 Detachment B conducted a cross-training exercise with the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, March 30, 2017.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list