Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2017 - Japan Special Weapons News
- South Korea, Japan, US start 3-day joint exercise on Korean Peninsula Press TV 03 Apr 2017 -- The United States, South Korea, and Japan have reportedly started a three-day joint military exercise on the Korean Peninsula to simulate countering a North Korean submarine-launched missile attack.
- Japan Deploys New Kawasaki C-2 Military Transport Aircraft to Local Airbase Sputnik 30 Mar 2017 -- Japan's Air Self-Defense Force has deployed new domestically made Kawasaki C-2 military transport aircraft to the Miho airbase in the Tottori Prefecture, local media reported Thursday.
- Tokyo Dismisses Chinese Protest Over Visit of Senior Japanese Official to Taiwan Sputnik 28 Mar 2017 -- The visit of a Japanese senior official to Taiwan on Saturday was meant only to promote Japan's tourist sights, local media reported Tuesday citing Japan's Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida.
- Japan leases military planes to Manila to patrol South China Sea Press TV 27 Mar 2017 -- The Philippines has taken delivery of two Japanese military surveillance aircraft to help it patrol vital sea lanes in the disputed South China Sea, officials say.
- Japan Commissions Sub-Hunting Helicopter Carrier to Brace for 'China Threat' Sputnik 24 Mar 2017 -- Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force has commissioned a ship two-and-a-half American football fields long to bolster its fleet as threats loom in the East and South China Seas.
- China on high alert for Japan's military move People's Daily 23 Mar 2017 -- China said on Thursday it is on high alert for Japan's true intentions as the Japanese helicopter-carrier destroyer Kaga went into service on Wednesday.
- Abe cabinet approves controversial anti-terror conspiracy bill amid public outrage People's Daily 21 Mar 2017 -- The Cabinet of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Tuesday approved the submission of a contentious bill to parliament to criminalize the act of preparing for terrorism and other serious crimes, amid vast political and public opposition.
- Japan launches new spy satellite amid tensions with North Korea Press TV 17 Mar 2017 -- Japan has launched a new spy satellite into space in an apparent mission to enhance the monitoring of North Korea.
- Japan Launches IGS Radar-5 Spy Satellite Sputnik 17 Mar 2017 -- Japan has launched the IGS Radar-5 surveillance satellite aboard an H-2A rocket.
- Japan Conducts First-Ever Emergency Drill Amid North Korean Missile Threat Sputnik 17 Mar 2017 -- In anticipation for a missile attack from North Korea, Japan executed its first civilian evacuation drill on Friday, with warnings broadcast over loudspeakers and blaring sirens.
- Press Availability With Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida US Dept. of State 16 Mar 2017
- Remarks With Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 16 Mar 2017
- Remarks With Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 16 Mar 2017
- China to Retaliate If Japan Sends Izumo Warship to South China Sea Sputnik 16 Mar 2017 -- China's Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying stated that the situation in the South China Sea was improving in comparison with the last year due to the efforts of the regional states, and countries outside of the region must respect the efforts to maintain peace and stability in the South China Sea.
- China Sends Warning to Japan Over Deployment of Warship to the South China Sea Sputnik 14 Mar 2017 -- Tensions in the South China Sea are continuing to rise after China asked Japan to reveal why they are planning to send its largest warship on a three month tour of the ocean.
- Show of Force: Japan Sending Largest Warship to South China Sea Sputnik 13 Mar 2017 -- In an attempt to flex some military muscle, Japan is reportedly planning to dispatch its largest warship, the Izumo helicopter carrier, on a three-month jaunt through the hotly-disputed South China Sea.
- Japan to send its largest warship to disputed South China Sea Press TV 13 Mar 2017 -- Japan plans to send its largest warship on an extended mission to the disputed South China Sea before it heads to the Indian Ocean for joint naval drills with the United States and India.
- Japan, US holding joint drills in East China Sea Press TV 10 Mar 2017 -- Marine forces from Japan and the United States are conducting joint military exercises in the East China Sea amid an escalation of tensions in the region.
- U.S.-Japan conduct aerial integration training during Forest Light 17-1 USMC News 10 Mar 2017 -- U.S. Marines and members of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force conducted aerial integration training on an MV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft and JGSDF CH-47 Chinook helicopters during exercise Forest Light 17-1 in the Camp Soumagahara, Gunma Prefecture, Japan, Mar. 10, 2017.
- US Navy, JMSDF Complete Annual Bilateral Training Exercise MultiSail 17 NNS 10 Mar 2017 -- Commander, Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 15 and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) completed the annual bilateral training exercise MultiSail 17, March 10.
- Tokyo's Rising Military Might Threatens to Upset Fragile Pacific Balance Sputnik 10 Mar 2017 -- Japan's Defense Minister Tomomi Inada stated that the country's Self-Defense Forces have the right to launch strikes against enemy territory, raising concerns about the prospects of Tokyo's ongoing military buildup.
- Japan Considers First Strike Options Against North Korea Sputnik 08 Mar 2017 -- In the wake of intercontinental ballistic missile testing by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), legislators in Japan are calling for the nation to adopt a new military posture against its nearby nuclear-capable neighbor.
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Call with Japan Minister of Defense Tomomi Inada DoD 06 Mar 2017
- Trump speaks with Japanese, South Korean leaders on DPRK's latest missile tests People's Daily 07 Mar 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday spoke separately over phone with leaders of Japan and South Korea to discuss the latest test-launch of ballistic missiles by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), according to the White House.
- US Navy, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force Participate in MultiSail 2017 NNS 06 Mar 2017 -- The U.S. Navy and Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) are participating in the annual bilateral training exercise MultiSail 2017, March 6-10.
- Tokyo, Seoul Concerned Over New Pyongyang's Missile Launches Sputnik 06 Mar 2017 -- Japan and South Korea expressed concern on Monday over the launch of four missiles by North Korea in the direction of the Sea of Japan.
- Beijing Sortie Through South China Sea Scares Taiwan; Japan Scrambles Jets Sputnik 03 Mar 2017 -- Chinese aircraft and seagoing vessels have increased the level of military operations being conducted near Taiwan in recent days, prompting the self-governing island to warn the world of a growing Chinese threat. Japanese jets have also scrambled to observe Chinese maritime military movements.
- Seven Nations Begin Largest Disaster Relief Preparedness Exercise in Pacific Sputnik 01 Mar 2017 -- The exercise includes civilian and military participants from the United States, United Kingdom, South Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam and Sri Lanka, which is participating for the first time.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list