Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2017 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Report: Japan Ready To Offer Russia Economic Plan For Disputed Island Chain RFE/RL 26 Feb 2017 -- Japan is ready to propose a specific plan to Russia for the joint economic development of an island chain that both countries claim, The Nikkei Asia Review reports.
- China warns Japan over report on Taiwan-related issue People's Daily 25 Feb 2017 -- China has lodged representations to the Japanese side and urged Japan to be cautious in its words and deeds regarding Taiwan-related issues, a foreign ministry spokesperson said Friday in Beijing.
- U.S, Japan, Australia airmen improve aeromedical evacuation integration AFNS 24 Feb 2017 -- Airmen from the 18th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron conducted trilateral training with members of the Royal Australian Air Force and Japan Air Self-Defense Force Feb. 21, 2017, at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, during annual exercise Cope North.
- Russia Has No Intention to Use Military on Kuril Islands Against Japan Sputnik 23 Feb 2017 -- Russia does not intend to use its division which will be deployed to the Kuril Islands against Japan and is ready for military cooperation with Tokyo on the issue, Viktor Ozerov, chairman of the defense committee in the Russian upper house of parliament, told Sputnik on Thursday.
- Japan Lodges Protest Over Russia's Plan to Deploy Division on Kurils Sputnik 23 Feb 2017 -- Japan sent a note of protest against Russia over its plan to deploy a division on the Kuril Islands later in the year, Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said Thursday.
- Japan's military exports to ASEAN hint at new proactive strategy: expert People's Daily 22 Feb 2017 -- such as the Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia -- as early as this summer.
- Japan to Build New Hi-Tech Fleet as East China Sea Conflict Heats Up Sputnik 17 Feb 2017 -- Japan has announced the acceleration of a warship-building program, hoping to construct two additional frigates each year to better enforce their claim on the East China Sea. Japan has been embroiled in a land dispute with China and Taiwan over several islands in the East China Sea since the 1970s.
- U.S.-ROK-Japan Foreign Ministerial Joint Statement on the Situation in North Korea US Dept. of State 16 Feb 2017
- China slams US support for Japan's territorial claims Press TV 14 Feb 2017 -- Beijing has once again emphasized its sovereignty over a group of disputed islands in the South and East China Seas, blasting US President Donald Trump over his recent pledge of support for Japan's overlapping territorial claims with China.
- China firmly opposes U.S. endorsement of Japan's illegal claim on Diaoyu islands People's Daily 13 Feb 2017 -- China on Monday firmly opposed the affirmation made by U.S. and Japanese leaders that the U.S.-Japan security treaty covered China's Diaoyu islandsin the East China Sea.
- Japanese Government Protests North Korea's Ballistic Missile Launch Sputnik 12 Feb 2017 -- The Japanese government has lodged a protest with North Korea over its newest missile launch, government spokesman Yoshihide Suga said Sunday.
- US, Japanese Leaders Deliver Joint Statement After North Korean Missile Launch Sputnik 12 Feb 2017 -- Donald Trump and Shinzo Abe have delivered an unscheduled joint brief statement.
- South Korea, Japan Consider Latest Missile Launch by North Provocation Sputnik 12 Feb 2017 -- Reaction of different countries on the latest North Korea's missile launch in the direction of the Sea of Japan.
- Trump tells Abe US '100% behind Japan' after N Korea missile test Press TV 12 Feb 2017 -- President Donald Trump has reassured Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that the United States is "100 percent" behind Japan following reports of North Korea conducting a fresh missile launch.
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Abe of Japan in Joint Press Conference The White House 10 Feb 2017
- President Trump: US-Japan Alliance Is Foundation for Peace in East Asian Region VOA 10 Feb 2017 -- President Donald Trump said Friday the friendship between the U.S. and Japan is "very, very deep" and declared an alliance between the two countries is a cornerstone of peace in the East Asian region.
- U.S. Marines, Japanese Soldiers Put Rounds Down Range During Exercise Iron Fist 2017 USMC News 10 Feb 2017 -- U.S. Marine instructors with the 1st Marine Division Schools 'Pre-Scout Sniper Course' and soldiers with the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force's Western Army Infantry Regiment conducted a known-distance, live-fire sniper range during exercise Iron Fist 2017, Feb. 7, 2017, aboard Camp Pendleton, California.
- Japan to Play Larger Military Role in Alliance With US Sputnik 10 Feb 2017 -- Japan will assume a larger military role in the US-Japanese alliance, US President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in a joint statement on Friday.
- Japan Court Rejects Lawsuit Demanding Flight Restrictions at US Kadena Airbase Sputnik 09 Feb 2017 -- An Okinawa court has rejected a lawsuit filed by over 100 Japanese residents demanding restrictions for US air force flights at the Kadena Air Base, media reported Thursday.
- Japan-based F-35 stealth fighters begin 1st training drills near Okinawa, stiring public fears People's Daily 08 Feb 2017 -- Training maneuvers began this week near Japan's southernmost prefecture of Okinawa of the U.S. Marine Corps' F-35 fighter jets, local media said here Wednesday.
- Japan's new missile defense system couldn't intercept Chinese missiles in real battle: experts People's Daily 07 Feb 2017 -- The U.S. and Japan successfully conducted a missile interception test off the Hawaiian islands on Feb. 4. The USS John Paul Jones destroyed the target ballistic missile using its Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) Block IIA interceptor, reports stated. But an expert pointed out that Japan's new weapon is unable to threaten China.
- Japan Condemns Chinese Ships' Presence in Waters of Disputed Senkaku Islands Sputnik 06 Feb 2017 -- The Japanese Foreign Ministry has lodged a protest against China after three Chinese vessels sailed by the disputed Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea.
- Mattis Says U.S. Remains Committed to Defense of Japan AFPS 04 Feb 2017 -- The United States remains committed to the defense of Japan and stands ready to enhance its alliance for regional peace, prosperity and freedom, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said today in Tokyo.
- Pentagon Chief Says US Will Maintain Its Policy on Japan-China Territorial Row Sputnik 04 Feb 2017 -- The United States is committed to its stance with regard to the territorial dispute between Japan and China, US Defense Secretary James Mattis stressed on Saturday.
- U.S., Japan Successfully Conduct First SM-3 Block IIA Intercept Test NNS 04 Feb 2017 -- The U.S. Missile Defense Agency, the Japan Ministry of Defense, and U.S. Navy Sailors aboard USS John Paul Jones (DDG 53) successfully conducted a flight test Feb. 3 (Hawaii Standard Time), resulting in the first intercept of a ballistic missile target using the Standard Missile-3 (SM-3)
- Trump Defense Chief Assures Japan, S. Korea of US Commitment to Asia VOA 03 Feb 2017 -- U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis said in Tokyo Friday the U.S. stands "firmly, 100 percent, shoulder to shoulder" with Japan.
- Strength of Alliance Highlights Meeting Between Mattis, Japan's Prime Minister AFPS 03 Feb 2017 -- In a Tokyo meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe today, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis reaffirmed the strength of the U.S.- Japanese alliance, Pentagon spokesman Navy Cmdr. Gary Ross said.
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Meetings with Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe DoD 03 Feb 2017
- Remarks by Secretary Mattis and Prime Minister Abe in Tokyo, Japan DoD 03 Feb 2017 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis; Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan
- Japan hopes for 'unwavering alliance' with US under Trump Press TV 03 Feb 2017 -- Japan's prime minister says Tokyo is committed to boosting ties with Washington, highlighting hopes of the creation of an "unwavering alliance" with the United States under the administration of President Donald Trump.
- E-2D Advanced Hawkeye Arrives in Japan NNS 02 Feb 2017 -- Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 125 arrived at Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Iwakuni, Feb. 2.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list