Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2016 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Japan-Philippines Deals Signal Shift to Multi-country Foreign Policy VOA 31 Oct 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's visit to Japan swings his country a degree back toward the United States despite a strain in relations and it may signal growth of a multilateral foreign policy aimed at maximizing development aid.
- Taiwan, Japan fail to reach accord on fishing near Okinotori Atoll CNA 31 Oct 2016 -- Taiwan and Japan were unable to reach agreement Monday on fishing rights in the sea near Okinotori Atoll at a meeting on maritime affairs held in Tokyo, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA).
- Taiwan, Japan hold dialogue on maritime affairs CNA 31 Oct 2016 -- The first ever dialogue between Taiwan and Japan on maritime affairs was held in Tokyo on Monday, with delegations from the two countries set to discuss issues of mutual concern including fishing near the Japan-held Okinotori atoll in the Pacific Ocean.
- Tensions Boil: Beijing Accuses Japan of Endangering Chinese Aircraft Sputnik 28 Oct 2016 -- On Thursday the Chinese Defense Ministry accused Japan of targeting and endangering the safety of Beijing's military aircraft. Tokyo and Beijing are in the midst of a long-standing dispute over a group of islands in the East China Sea, called Diaoyu by China and Senkaku in Japan.
- Taiwan, Japan to hold dialogue on maritime affairs CNA 27 Oct 2016 -- Taiwan and Japan will hold a dialogue on maritime affairs cooperation in Tokyo on Oct. 31, Foreign Minister David Lee (李大維) said on Thursday.
- US, Japan, South Korea agree to put more pressure on North Korea Press TV 27 Oct 2016 -- Senior officials from the United States, Japan and South Korea have agreed to step up pressure on North Korea to get it to abandon its nuclear and missile programs.
- Readout of Deputy Secretary Bob Work's Meeting with Japanese Administrative Vice Minister of Defense Tetsuro Kuroe DoD 26 Oct 2016
- US, UK, Japan Navies Commit to Increase Cooperation NNS 20 Oct 2016 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. John Richardson met with First Sea Lord, United Kingdom Royal Navy, Adm. Phillip Jones and Chief of Staff of the Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force, Adm. Tomohisa Takei, Oct. 20, in the Pentagon.
- Huge Upgrades to Japan's Missile Defense May Bolster Security Against Pyongyang Sputnik 18 Oct 2016 -- In the wake of ballistic missile tests carried out by North Korea, Japan is planning to accelerate improvements to its missile defenses.
- China Declines Japanese Protest Over Gas Exploration in East China Sea Sputnik 14 Oct 2016 -- China has refuted a Japanese protest over China's alleged revival of maritime gas exploration in the East China Sea. According to Beijing, the exploration activities are being conducted "totally within China's jurisdiction."
- Japanese Jet Scrambles to Ward Off Chinese, Russian Planes Rise in 2016 Sputnik 14 Oct 2016 -- The number of Japanese jet scrambles has risen in 2016, mostly due to Chinese and Russian activity, Japan's Defense Ministry said Friday.
- U.S., South Korean, Japanese Military Leaders Discuss North Korean Threat AFPS 14 Oct 2016 -- Stressing the regional aspect of the threat North Korea poses, Maritime Self-defense Force Adm. Katsutoshi Kawano, the Japanese chief of defense, joined discussions with senior U.S. and South Korean military leaders at the Pentagon today.
- Japan Authorities Worried by US Decision to Resume Harrier Flights After Crash Sputnik 07 Oct 2016 -- Japanese authorities in the Okinawa prefecture are concerned about the US decision to resume flights of Harrier fighter jets, which were grounded after a crash, local media reported Friday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list