Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2016 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Trump's Asia Security Criticisms Set Off Talk of Nuclear Arms Race VOA 28 Mar 2016 -- Donald Trump, the front-running U.S. presidential candidate for the Republican Party, is not winning a lot of friends among America's key allies in Asia after criticizing their contributions to regional security and suggesting they develop their own nuclear arsenals.
- Creation of Russian Navy Base on Kuril Islands 'Contradicts Japan Position' Sputnik 28 Mar 2016 -- The possible stationing of Russia's Pacific Fleet on the Kuril Islands runs counter to Japan's position, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said Monday.
- Japan Refuses to Give Up Non-Nuclear Principles Amid N Korean Nuke Threat Sputnik 28 Mar 2016 -- Japan will not give up its Three Non-Nuclear Principles in response to the nuclear threat coming from North Korea, Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said Monday.
- Japan Seeks Sixth Generation Fighter Jet to Dominate Beijing's J-20 Sputnik 24 Mar 2016 -- Tokyo began conversations with US defense contractors this week to lay the groundwork for the development of a sixth-generation F-3 fighter jet.
- Commentary: It's not wise for Japan to seek international arbitration over the East China Sea dispute People's Daily 22 Mar 2016 -- Japan's ruling party, the Liberal Democratic Party, recently renewed tensions over the East China Sea issue by urging Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's government to consider seeking international arbitration, mirroring similar action by the Philippines. This move, however, would not be wise.
- Japan to permanently deploy missile interceptors amid intensified frequency of DPRK launches People's Daily 22 Mar 2016 -- Japan's Defense Ministry on Tuesday announced that its ground-based missile interception system would be permanently deployed at a location in Tokyo following the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's increasingly frequent launches of ballistic missiles.
- Japan ships weapons-grade plutonium to U.S., Three Non-Nuclear Principles in focus People's Daily 22 Mar 2016 -- A ship carrying 331 kilograms of weapons-grade plutonium left a port in Ibaraki Prefecture, eastern Japan, on Tuesday en route to the United States.
- Japan to Continue Efforts to Deter North Korean Missile Threat Sputnik 22 Mar 2016 -- Japan will further promore its efforts to constrain possible nuclear and missile threats from North Korea.
- S.Korea urges Japan to stop territorial claims on disputed island People's Daily 18 Mar 2016 -- South Korea on Friday urged Japan to stop territorial claims on a disputed island, called Dokdo in South Korea and Takeshima in Japan, lying halfway between the two countries.
- Fearing Beijing and Pyongyang, Tokyo to Extend Surveillance Capabilities Sputnik 19 Mar 2016 -- Citing threats from both China and North Korea, Japan has announced plans to extend its surveillance operations in the East China Sea.
- Japan, South Korea slam North Korea's new ballistic missile launch Press TV 18 Mar 2016 -- South Korea and Japan have denounced North Korea over its latest ballistic missile launch, demanding Pyongyang to avoid such moves that could heighten tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
- China rebuffs Japan-East Timor concern over South China Sea People's Daily 18 Mar 2016 -- China rebuffed a joint press release by Japan and East Timor that voiced concern over the South China Sea in Beijing on Thursday.
- Japan lodges protest over DPRK's missile launch People's Daily 18 Mar 2016 -- Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida said on Friday that his country has lodged protest to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) over its ballistic missile firing earlier this morning, saying the move violated UN Security Council resolutions.
- China warns Japan over territorial dispute Press TV 10 Mar 2016 -- Beijing has accused Tokyo of interfering in disputes over the South China Sea after the Philippines said it would lease five planes from Japan to help patrol the contested waters.
- Philippines to Lease Five Japan Planes for Patrols in Disputed S China Sea Sputnik 09 Mar 2016 -- The Philippines plans to lease five military aircraft from Japan for maritime patrols in the South China Sea, the Southeast Asian nation's President Benigno Aquino said Wednesday.
- Japan Condemns North Korea's Alleged Launch of Short-Range Missiles Sputnik 10 Mar 2016 -- Japan's Defense Ministry has condemned the alleged launch of two short-range missiles by North Korea, Japanese media report.
- Trilateral Talks Enhance Cooperation between U.S., Philippines and Japan NNS 08 Mar 2016 -- Leaders from U.S. 7th Fleet, the Philippine Navy and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force met Mar. 5 aboard the 7th Fleet flagship USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19) during a scheduled port visit. The trilateral talks aim to grow and strengthen relationships between the three nations.
- Fishing area boundaries not part of Taiwan-Japan fishery talks CNA 04 Mar 2016 -- Taiwan and Japan agreed at a meeting on Friday to maintain existing fishing rules in waters north of the Yaeyama Islands and did not touch on curtailing access to Taiwanese fishermen to waters near the disputed Diaoyutai Islands, a Taiwanese official said.
- Japan to halt work on US base relocation in Okinawa: PM Press TV 04 Mar 2016 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says he will temporarily halt construction work on relocating a US base on the Okinawa island, amid intense protests by locals to the presence of American troops.
- Japan Decides to Stop Works on US Airbase Relocation in Okinawa Sputnik 04 Mar 2016 -- Tokyo decided to accept a court-mediated settlement plan concerning the relocation of a US airbase.
- US, allies announce new drills near South China Sea Press TV 03 Mar 2016 -- The US has announced an upcoming joint military exercise with India and Japan in the Philippine Sea, close to the Chinese territorial waters in the South and East China Seas where Beijing and Washington have been locked in a heated standoff.
- US Forces, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force Complete Fleet Synthetic Training NNS 02 Mar 2016 -- Commander, Task Force 70 along with Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 15, Army and Air Force assets and units from the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) participated in Fleet Synthetic Training-Joint (FST-J) exercise 16-71 at Commander, Fleet Activities Yokosuka (CFAY), Japan and other command centers throughout Japan, Feb. 22-26.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list