Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2016 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Japan deploys more F-15s near disputed islands with China Press TV 31 Jan 2016 -- Japan says it has doubled the number of F-15 warplanes stationed in Okinawa Island close to the disputed East China Sea islands.
- Japan Deploys Additional F-15s Close to Disputed Islands With China Sputnik 31 Jan 2016 -- Japan has doubled the number of F-15 warplanes positioned on Okinawa Island close to the disputed East China Sea islands.
- Japan unveils its first stealth plane People's Daily 29 Jan 2016 -- Japan has unveiled its first homemade stealth plane.
- Japan, U.S. FMs hold talks over possible DPRK rocket launch People's Daily 29 Jan 2016 -- Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday discussed the possibility that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) may be gearing up to test a long-range rocket.
- US, Japan participate in Keen Edge 16 AFNS 29 Jan 2016 -- Members from the Japan Self-Defense Forces and United States Forces Japan came together to conduct a joint-bilateral command post exercise Keen Edge 16 at Yokota Air Base, Japan, from Jan. 23-29; this was the 14th command post exercise since 1986.
- Japan orders military to destroy N Korean missile Press TV 29 Jan 2016 -- Japan has put its military on alert and ordered it to destroy any missile fired by North Korea that may threaten the country amid reports of an imminent launch by Pyongyang.
- Tokyo Calls on Pyongyang to Scrap Plans of Alleged Ballistic Missile Launch Sputnik 28 Jan 2016 -- The Japanese government calls on North Korea not to conduct a test fire of indigenous ballistic missiles, Japan's Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Koichi Hagiuda said Thursday.
- Japan Reports North Korea Readying Long-Range Missile Launch 'Next Week' Sputnik 28 Jan 2016 -- According to an anonymous Japanese government official, North Korea may be preparing to launch a long-range missile in the coming days.
- Japan Considers Lavrov's Remarks on Southern Kurils 'Unacceptable' Sputnik 27 Jan 2016 -- The Japanese government considers remarks made by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on the territorial issue between the two countries "unacceptable," Japan's Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Koichi Hagiuda said Wednesday.
- China Coast Guard Vessels Patrol near Diaoyu Islands, Refuting Japan's Warning People's Daily 28 Jan 2016 -- Four China Coast Guard vessels sailed within a 12-nautical-mile range of the Diaoyu Islands and patrolled there for about 2 hours in the morning of January 27, 2016, reported the Janpanese news agency Jiji Press.
- Four-phase Japan-U.S. operation plan towards Diaoyu Islands worked out in 2012: Japanese media People's Daily 25 Jan 2016 -- During the office of former Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda, Japanese Self-Defense Forces (JSDF) and the U.S. forces worked out a four-phase operation plan for Diaoyu Islands in 2012, according to a report by Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun on Sunday.
- Japan to pay 8 bln USD over next 5 years to host U.S. forces People's Daily 22 Jan 2016 -- Japanand the United Stateson Friday inked a deal stipulating the budget for hosting U.S. forces here will be maintained by Tokyo.
- South Korea, US, Japan Set Up Data Sharing Channel on N Korea's Missiles Sputnik 22 Jan 2016 -- South Korea plans to set up a new channel for sharing information on North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missiles with the United States and Japan, local media reported Friday, citing a South Korean Defense Ministry source.
- The First E-2D Advanced Hawkeye AEW Aircraft Ordered by Japan to Begin Manufacture People's Daily 22 Jan 2016 -- The first E-2D Advanced Hawkeye AEW Aircraft Japan ordered from the U.S. is to begin manufacture, thepaper.cn reported on January 21.
- Tokyo Goes All In to Save US Base in Okinawa Despite Local Resentment Sputnik 22 Jan 2016 -- With mayoral elections coming up in Okinawa, the Japanese government is working to ensure that a candidate in the ruling party wins. Dangling financial benefits to voters, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe wants to ensure that a US airbase remains on the island.
- China on high alert against Japan's attempt to poke its nose in South China Sea issue People's Daily 20 Jan 2016 -- China is on high alert against Japan's attempt to poke its nose in the issue of the South China Sea, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said in response to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's latest interview with Financial Times on Jan.19.
- Minju Joson Slams Japan's Moves to Emerge Military Giant KCNA 19 Jan 2016 -- The U.S. Department of State's report on '2015 world military spending and arms transfer' said that from 2002 to 2012 Japan topped the world list of amount of the funds spent for purchase of arms among the 170 countries surveyed. Japan's military spending showed an annual increase. Its defense draft budget for 2016 is 5 054.1 billion yen, exceeding 5 000 billion yen for the first time.
- Chitose exercise enhances U.S.-Japan interoperability USMC News 18 Jan 2016 -- Marines with Marine All-Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 224, Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 12, and Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron traveled from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, to participate in the Chitose Aviation Training Relocation exercise at Chitose Air Base, Japan, Jan. 12-22, 2016.
- Japan, S Korea, US Assert Readiness to Counter Pyongyang Provocations Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- Japan, South Korea and the US expressed their readiness to respond to provocative moves by North Korea.
- Japan Expands Military Presence in S China Sea Amid Tensions With China Sputnik 14 Jan 2016 -- Japan is set to boost its presence in the South China Sea in 2016 with Japanese anti-submarine reconnaissance aircraft making transits in locations along the South China Sea waters.
- China warns Japan against provocations on Diaoyu Islands People's Daily 13 Jan 2016 -- China has warned Japan against taking any provocative actions on the issue of Diaoyu islands or to face the consequences.
- Def. Minister Reiterates Japan Ready to Send Warships to Disputed Islands Sputnik 12 Jan 2016 -- Japanese Defense Minister stated that Japan is ready to send its warships to the area of the disputed Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Carter's Call with Japan Defense Minister Nakatani DoD 08 Jan 2016
- Defence Secretary announces closer defence ties with Japan UK MOD 08 Jan 2016 -- The Defence Secretary has announced the UK will look at taking part in a joint military exercise with Japan to tighten defence relations.
- Japan, S Korea to Seek UNSC Measures Against Pyongyang After H-Bomb Test Sputnik 07 Jan 2016 -- Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and South Korea's President Park Geun-hye agreed on the need for tough measures against North Korea, Japanese media reported Thursday.
- US, S Korea and Japan vow 'tough response' to N Korea Press TV 07 Jan 2016 -- The White House says the United States, South Korea and Japan have agreed to launch a 'united and strong' response to North Korea's claim of a successful hydrogen bomb test.
- Taiwan requests formal talks with Japan on comfort women issue CNA 06 Jan 2016 -- Taiwan's Foreign Minister David Lin (林永樂) on Wednesday summoned the Japanese representative to Taipei and laid out four requests that Taiwan wants to make in formal talks with Japan on the issue of 'comfort women.'
- Japan Denounces North Korean Nuclear Test as 'Serious Threat' to Security Sputnik 06 Jan 2016 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Wednesday that the North Korean nuclear test poses 'serious threat' to Tokyo's security, local media reported.
- Taiwan decides on approach to talks with Japan on comfort women CNA 05 Jan 2016 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and several government agencies on Tuesday devised an approach to planned negotiations with Japan on the issue of 'comfort women,' females who were forced into sexual slavery by the Imperial Japanese Army in occupied territories during World War II.
- Taiwan urges Japan to negotiate over 'comfort women' issue CNA 05 Jan 2016 -- Taiwan's representative office in Japan said Tuesday it will continue to ask Japan to negotiate the 'comfort women' issue with Taiwan, after Japan indicated that it does not intend to resolve the issue with other countries the same way it did with South Korea.
- Japan's 5th Generation Stealth Fighter to Take Off Next Month Sputnik 04 Jan 2016 -- A prototype of Japan's 5th generation stealth air superiority fighter, the Mitsubishi ATD-X Shinshin, will make its maiden flight in February, Tokyo-based news magazine The Diplomat reports.
- Premier Abe vows to keep Japan out of war Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has pledged to keep his nation out of war following the introduction of a controversial new law that would allow the military to engage in wars overseas.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list