Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2014 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Russia, Japan Start Peace Treaty Talks in Tokyo RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2014 -- Senior Russian and Japanese diplomats started consultations Friday in Tokyo in a bid to end a territorial row that has kept the two nations from signing a World War II peace treaty.
- Commentary: Arrogant, bigoted Abe leads Japan to nowhere Xinhua 29 Jan 2014 -- Japan is at the crossroads again at the start of this year, as its Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is hurtling toward right-wing fundamentalism.
- China ships in disputed waters after Japanese PM's WWI claim Voice of Russia 27 Jan 2014 -- Chinese ships sailed through disputed waters off Tokyo-controlled islands on Monday, days after Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe caused an international stir by comparing Sino-Japanese relations with the run-up to World War One.
- Taiwan protests Japan's launch of website claiming Diaoyutais CNA 25 Jan 2014 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) protested Saturday over Japan's launch of a website a day earlier that reiterates its sovereignty claims over the disputed Diaoyutai Islands.
- Marines begin Iron Fist with JGSDF USMC News 25 Jan 2014 -- The 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit gathered with the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force to celebrate the start of Exercise Iron Fist 2014 during an opening ceremony aboard Camp Pendleton, Calif., Jan. 23, 2014.
- Japan World War I Remarks Fuel China Tensions VOA 24 Jan 2014 -- This week Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe compared his country's tense relationship with China to that of England and Germany before the outbreak of World War I.
- US Navy to replace nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in Japan Iran Press TV 15 Jan 2014 -- The US Navy has announced that it would deploy the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan to Japan in the summer of 2015 to replace USS George Washington.
- Beijing urges cross-strait cooperation on Diaoyutais issue CNA 15 Jan 2014 -- A Chinese official on Wednesday called on Taipei to join hands with Beijing against Japan on the territorial dispute over the Diaoyutai Islands.
- Chinese ambassador to NZ condemns Abe's Yasukuni visit in signed article Xinhua 12 Jan 2014 -- The Chinese ambassador to New Zealand, the Cook Islands and Niue, Wang Lutong, published a signed article in New Zealand's second largest daily newspaper The Dominion Post on Saturday condemning Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's visit to the Yasukuni Shrine.
- Abe leading Japan in dangerous direction: Chinese ambassador Xinhua 11 Jan 2014 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's visit to the Yasukuni Shrine and his government's provocative policies towards neighboring countries are leading Japan in a very dangerous direction, Chinese Ambassador to Russia Li Hui said Friday.
- Interview: Just verdict on Japan's wartime crime shall never be overturned: Chinese envoy Xinhua 11 Jan 2014 -- he just verdict on Japan's wartime crime shall never be overturned and the tragedy of history shall never be forgotten, said Chinese Ambassador to Brunei Darussalam Mr. Zheng Xianglin, who is former Chinese Consul- General in Osaka, Japan, in a written interview with Xinhua on Saturday.
- Japan fighter jet chases Chinese plane over disputed islands Iran Press TV 07 Jan 2014 -- Japan has dispatched an F-15 fighter jet to intercept a Chinese plane flying near a chain of disputed islands claimed by both Beijing and Tokyo.
- Readout of Secretary Hagel's call with Japan's Minister of Defense Itsunori Onodera DoD 04 Jan 2014
- China expresses concern about U.S., Japanese naval deployments CNA 01 Jan 2014 -- China is concerned about naval deployments by the United States and Japan in the Asia-Pacific region, according to a 2014 naval outlook issued by China through its military media.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list