Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2012 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Minju Joson on Japan Policy KCNA 29 Feb 2012 -- Some time ago, the Japanese prime minister expressed an intention to examine the issue of dispatching Self-Defense Forces to Hormuz Strait.
- KCNA on Lee Myung Bak and Japan's Territorial Ambition KCNA 29 Feb 2012 -- South Korea's Lee Myung Bak has drawn public criticism after the disclosure of his pro-Japan remarks on Tok Islets that he denied at the beginning of his office.
- Tokyo May Cancel Order for U.S. Combat Jets if Price Rises RIA Novosti 29 Feb 2012 -- Japan may cancel its order to buy 42 U.S.-made F-35 Lightning II stealth combat aircraft if prices grow or delivery is delayed.
- Post-Fukushima Japan Nears Energy Crossroads VOA 24 Feb 2012 -- In January, inspectors from the IAEA trudged through the Japanese winter to visit the snow-bound Ohi nuclear power plant.
- China Complains About Japanese Mayor's Massacre Denial VOA 22 Feb 2012 -- China says it has lodged an official complaint with Tokyo, after the mayor of a Japanese city again denied well-documented pre-World War II massacre.
- Rodong Sinmun on Japan Military Policy KCNA 20 Feb 2012 -- The Japanese defense minister was reported recently to have begged his U.S. counterpart to render cooperation in Japan's efforts to deploy ultramodern stealth fighter F-35 in Japan as planned.
- Japan's Nuclear Chief Admits Sub-Standard Safety VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- Japan's atomic safety chief told a government panel that the country's nuclear safety regulations are outdated and do not meet global standards.
- Japan Coast Guard Selects S-76D™ Helicopter for Search and Rescue Helicopter Program Sikorsky 14 Feb 2012 -- Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp., and Mitsubishi Corporation have announced a contract with the Japan Coast Guard (JCG) for four S-76D™ helicopters, which will replace several JCG helicopters that were damaged in the tsunami of 2011.
- Russian Bombers Prompt Complaints From Japan RFE/RL 09 Feb 2012 -- Russia's Defense Ministry says two Russian strategic bombers have returned to their base in Siberia following a 16-hour training patrol over international waters north of Japan.
- Japan Scrambles Fighters to Meet Russian Bombers RIA Novosti 09 Feb 2012 -- Japan’s Air Self-Defense Force had to scramble fighter jets in response to flights by Russian military aircraft near Japanese airspace.
- United States - Japan Joint Statement on Defense Posture US Dept. of State 08 Feb 2012
- U.S., Japan Release Joint Defense Posture Statement AFPS 08 Feb 2012 -- The United States and Japan have agreed to “delink” two aspects of the planned relocation of U.S. forces in Japan.
- KCNA on US-Japan Exercises KCNA 08 Feb 2012 -- The 8th U.S. Army in south Korea took part in a recent U.S.-Japan joint military maneuver staged in Japan.
- KCNA on Japan's and the Tok Islets KCNA 08 Feb 2012 -- The Japanese authorities made reckless remarks again in a bid to grab Tok Islets.
- Strategy to Break Okinawa Impasse Sparks Controversy VOA 07 Feb 2012 -- Japanese and U.S. officials are discussing a possible compromise on a long-stalled plan to move thousands of American Marines off the southern Japanese island of Okinawa.
- U.S., Japanese Officials Discuss Military Realignment AFPS 07 Feb 2012 -- U.S. and Japanese representatives met at the State Department yesterday to discuss changes under consideration to agreements on realignment of U.S. forces in the Pacific.
- Minju Joson on US-Japan Joint Military Exercise KCNA 07 Feb 2012 -- The U.S.-Japan joint military exercise codenamed "Yamasakura" took place in Japan from January 24 to February 5.
- Russia Slams Japan for Northern Territories Day RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2012 -- Japan’s observation of Northern Territories Day is not the best way to strengthen relations with Russia, the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
- Japan Seeks Further Talks on Kurils RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2012 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda said he is resolved to settle a longstanding territorial dispute with Russia.
- Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force Orders Northrop Grumman's Airborne Laser Mine Detection Systems Northrop Grumman 02 Feb 2012 -- The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force has purchased four helicopter-mountable, laser mine detection systems to help protect its coastline and the daily maritime traffic coming in and out of the country's ports.
- India, China, Japan coordinating in anti-piracy operations IRNA 02 Feb 2012 -- India, China and Japan have started implementing a new mechanism to coordinate the movement of their warships in the Gulf of Aden to provide protection to cargo vessels from sea brigands.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list