Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2022 - Israel Special Weapons News
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with Israeli National Security Advisor Hulata US Dept. of State 31 May 2022
- Israeli settlers working on new settlement in northern West Bank: Reports Press TV 31 May 2022 -- Israeli settlers have reportedly begun construction of a new settlement to the south of the city of Nablus in the northern part of the Tel Aviv-occupied West Bank.
- 'Iran Lied': Bennett Accuses Tehran of Stealing Documents to Deceive IAEA Over Nuclear Programme Sputnik 31 May 2022 -- The PM's finger-pointing comes as parties to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal seek to finalise the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). The US unilaterally left the deal in 2018, a move that prompted Iran to scrap its obligations.
- By failure to respond to Iran's initiatives, US is to blame for pause in Vienna talks: Khatibzadeh ISNA 31 May 2022 -- Regarding the recent diplomatic visits including the visits of Emir of Qatar and Tajik President to Tehran, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said, "Iran's foreign policy in the field of neighborliness has been taken into consideration seriously".
- Israel says no change in Taiwan policy following leaked cable CNA 30 May 2022 -- Israel's representative office in Taiwan on Monday said that instructions sent to its diplomats to refrain from meeting with their Taiwanese counterparts in official settings did not represent a change in policy.
- Turkey, Israel to Have Talks on Gas Delivery From Eeastern Mediterranean to Europe, Erdogan Says Sputnik 29 May 2022 -- Turkey and Israel will hold negotiations on gas deliveries from the Eastern Mediterranean to Europe through Turkey, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Israeli Foreign Minister and Alternate Prime Minister Lapid US Dept. of State 27 May 2022
- Cycle of violence moves us further away from a peaceful future for Israelis and Palestinians UK FCDO 26 May 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador James Kariuki at the UN Security Council briefing on the situation in the Middle East
- Israel Asks US to 'Explain' Leak of Info That It Assassinated IRGC Quds Force Officer Sputnik 26 May 2022 -- On Wednesday, an unnamed intelligence source told the New York Times that Israel had informed American officials that it was behind the killing of Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Quds Force Colonel Hassan Sayyad Khodaei. The 50-year-old commander was gunned down in his car on Sunday afternoon in a broad daylight attack in Tehran.
- The Iraqi Parliament's Anti-Israel Normalization Law US Dept. of State 26 May 2022 -- The United States is deeply disturbed by the Iraqi Parliament's passage of legislation that criminalizes normalization of relations with Israel.
- Iraq parliament illegalizes normalization of ties with Israeli regime Press TV 26 May 2022 -- Iraq's parliament passes a law making it illegal for the country to ever normalize its relations with the Israeli regime.
- Iraqi Parliament Bans Normalization of Relations With Israel Sputnik 26 May 2022 -- The Iraqi parliament voted on Thursday in support of a bill prohibiting any normalization of relations with Israel and introducing punishment in the form of life imprisonment or death penalty for violators.
- FM Lapid meets with Turkish FM Ã‡avuÅŸoÄŸlu in Jerusalem Israel MFA 25 May 2022 -- Minister of Foreign Affairs Yair Lapid met today at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Jerusalem with Turkish Foreign Minister MevlÃ¼t Ã‡avuÅŸoÄŸlu. Following are excerpts from FM Lapid's statement:
- Israel grabs thousands of acres of Palestinian-owned land in West Bank Press TV 25 May 2022 -- Israeli authorities have seized thousands of acres of Palestinian-owned land in the eastern flank of the West Bank, as Tel Aviv continues to press ahead with its illegal settlement expansion activities and land grab policies across the occupied territories despite the global outcry.
- Israel Tells US It Eliminated Iranian Officer Allegedly Responsible for Killings Worldwide - Reports Sputnik 25 May 2022 -- Israeli officials have told the United States that Jerusalem eliminated the senior Iranian officer who was allegedly responsible for killings of Israelis and other foreigners around the world, the New York Times reported.
- Turkey's Top Diplomat Seeks to Consolidate Rapprochement with a Wary Israel VOA 24 May 2022 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu Wednesday becomes the first senior Turkish official to visit Israel in 15 years. After a stop in the Palestinian territories, the foreign minister goes to Israel hoping to consolidate rapprochement efforts between the countries, which withdrew their ambassadors in 2018.
- Israeli Government Poised to Collapse After Bennett's Longtime Adviser Becomes Third to Quit Sputnik 23 May 2022 -- On Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett's longtime adviser, Tal Gan-Zvi, announced he was stepping down as the prime minister's chief of staff in the coming weeks.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Meeting With Israeli Defense Minister Benjamin "Benny" Gantz, May 19, 2022 DoD 19 May 2022
- MOD Gantz meets with US Secretary of Defense Austin Israel MFA 19 May 2022
- For first time, Russian military fires S-300 missiles at Israeli warplanes over Syria's Hama Press TV 18 May 2022 -- The Russian military has reportedly used advanced S-300 surface-to-air missile systems to fire at Israeli warplanes during a recent strike in Syria, signaling a major shift in Moscow's attitude to the Israeli regime.
- Israeli navy holds surprise drill as part of 'Chariots of Fire' exercises Press TV 16 May 2022 -- Israel's navy has launched a surprise drill as part of the month-long "Chariots of Fire" military exercises, despite an earlier warning by Palestinian resistance groups that they will not hesitate to respond to any act of aggression against the Palestinian people.
- Syrian air defenses destroyed 16 of 22 Israeli missiles fired in latest raid on Hama, Russian military says Press TV 15 May 2022 -- The Russian military says Syrian air defense units intercepted most of the missiles fired during a recent Israeli raid on the Arab country's western-central province of Hama, and shot down more than a dozen projectiles during the attack that had been fired over the Mediterranean.
- Israel: UN rights chief calls for end to 'culture of impunity' UN News 14 May 2022 -- Investigations must be held into the actions of the Israeli security forces, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said on Saturday, calling for accountability and an end to impunity.
- Israeli missile attack kills 5 in central Syria People's Daily 14 May 2022 -- Five people were killed and seven others injured after Israel attacked military sites in central Syria on Friday, state news agency SANA reported.
- Fresh Israeli air raid on Syria's Hama kills 5; most missiles intercepted Press TV 13 May 2022 -- The Israeli regime carried out fresh airstrikes on Syria's northwestern province of Hama late on Friday, killing at least five people, including a civilian, according to Syrian media.
- Mossad Reportedly Thwarted IRGC Assassination of US General in Germany Sputnik 13 May 2022 -- The hit was allegedly part of a bigger plot that involved killing an Israeli diplomat in Turkey and a journalist in France. Media reports claim that the suspected hitman later insisted that he was innocent and was forced to confess.
- Israel approves construction of over 4,000 settlement homes in West Bank People's Daily 13 May 2022 -- Israel on Thursday pushed forward new plans for building 4,320 settlement homes in the occupied West Bank.
- UN envoy condemns latest Israeli settlement expansion plan UN News 12 May 2022 -- The top UN official in the Middle East has urged Israel to halt all settlement activity following the latest approval given to new construction in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, announced on Thursday.
- Israel/Palestine: Statement by the High Representative on new illegal settlement plans European External Action Service (EEAS) 12 May 2022 -- The European Union condemns and deeply deplores today's approval, by Israeli authorities, of plans for advancing over 4,400 housing units, further expanding illegal settlements across the occupied West Bank, as well as the retroactive approval of three illegal outposts.
- Watchdog: Israel gives green light to nearly 4,500 settler units in West Bank Press TV 12 May 2022 -- Israel has advanced plans for the construction of some 4,500 settler units in the occupied West Bank as the regime continues its illegal settlement expansion activities across the occupied Palestinian territories.
- Israel/Palestine: Statement by the Spokesperson on evictions in Masafer Yatta European External Action Service (EEAS) 10 May 2022 -- The Israeli Supreme Court issued last week (May 4) a decision on the Masafer Yatta eviction case in the South Hebron Hills in the occupied West Bank, increasing the risk of the forced transfer of some 1,200 Palestinians and the demolition of their homes.
- Israeli military carries out missile strike against Syria's Quneitra near occupied Golan Heights Press TV 11 May 2022 -- Syria says Israel has carried out a missile attack at various targets on the outskirts of Syria's southwestern city of Quneitra near the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, which marks the second such aggression against the war-ravaged country in a fortnight.
- First images published of Iran's home-grown Noor 2 satellite Press TV 10 May 2022 -- Iranian media have released first images received from a home-grown satellite that were put into orbit in March as authorities hail the development as a major success for a civilian space program that has progressed in recent years despite facing American sanctions.
- Spain's spy chief sacked over Pegasus spyware scandal Press TV 10 May 2022 -- Spain has fired the director of its top intelligence agency over the hacking of politicians' mobile phones with the Israeli spyware Pegasus.
- Spain's National Intelligence Centre Chief Fired Over Phone-Hacking Scandal Sputnik 10 May 2022 -- Earlier, the Spanish government revealed that the mobile phone of Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, as well as that of the Defence Minister and Interior Minister had been infected with the Pegasus spyware.
- Joint Statement on the 3+1 (Republic of Cyprus, Greece, Israel + United States) Foreign Ministerial US Dept. of State 09 May 2022 -- The following joint statement was released by the Governments of the United States, the Republic of Cyprus, Greece, and Israel on the occasion of today's 3+1 Virtual Foreign Ministerial:
- Report: Saudi Arabia to invest millions in Israel through Kushner's fund Press TV 08 May 2022 -- A report by The Wall Street Journal says Saudi Arabia is planning to allocate millions of dollars for investments in Israeli tech companies via Jared Kushner, former White House adviser and son-in-law of ex-US President Donald Trump.
- Hamas warns of 'massive missile strikes' if Israel tries to assassinate leaders Press TV 07 May 2022 -- Hamas has warned that it will burn Israeli-occupied cities to the ground with "massive missile strikes" if the regime in Tel Aviv acts on its threats to assassinate any of the leaders of the Palestinian resistance group.
- Israel considers 'nonlethal military aid' to Ukraine amid soaring tensions with Russia, says report Press TV 06 May 2022 -- Israel is considering expanding its military aid to Ukraine from "helmets and bulletproof vests" to "nonlethal military equipment" following a request made by the Biden administration, a report said, as tensions between Moscow and Tel Aviv soar over the conflict.
- Putin, Bennett discuss Ukraine over phone People's Daily 06 May 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin held a telephone conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett on Thursday to discuss the Ukrainian situation.
- PM Bennett Speaks with Russian President Putin Israel - Prime Minister 05 May 2022 -- "In addition, the two discussed Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov's remarks. The Prime Minister accepted President Putin's apology for Lavrov's remarks and thanked him for clarifying his attitude towards the Jewish people and the memory of the Holocaust. "
- Israel seizes land, isolating al-Quds from rest of West Bank Press TV 05 May 2022 -- Israel has confiscated a new piece of Palestinian land to expand a project, which could isolate al-Quds from the rest of the West Bank, Palestine's official Wafa news agency reports.
- Kremlin: Israeli mercenaries fighting for Ukraine against Russia Press TV 04 May 2022 -- Moscow says Israeli mercenaries have been fighting alongside Ukraine's troops against Russian forces over the past few months of conflict.
- Russia doubles down on Hitler remarks, says Israel supports neo-Nazis Press TV 03 May 2022 -- Russia says Israel is supporting "the neo-Nazi regime in Kiev", raising the stakes in its tensions with Tel Aviv over the raging war in Ukraine.
- Prime Minister Naftali Bennett: "I view with utmost severity the Russian Foreign Minister's statement." Israel - Prime Minister 02 May 2022 -- "I view with utmost severity the Russian Foreign Minister's statement. (...) The use of the Holocaust of the Jewish people as a political tool must cease immediately."
- MFA media announcement Israel MFA 02 May 2022 -- FM Lapid: Foreign Minister Lavrov's remarks are both an unforgivable and outrageous statement as well as a terrible historical error. The lowest level of racism against Jews is to accuse Jews themselves of antisemitism.
- Israel Summons Russian Envoy Over Lavrov's Hitler Comment RFE/RL 02 May 2022 -- Israel has summoned Russia's ambassador and is demanding an apology from Moscow after Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov suggested that Adolf Hitler had Jewish roots.
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's interview with Mediaset, Italian television network, Moscow, May 1, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 01 May 2022
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list