Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2022 - Israel Special Weapons News
- Syrian air defenses intercept Israeli missile barrage targeting Damascus Press TV 31 Jan 2022 -- Syrian air defense units have managed to intercept and bring down a barrage of missiles launched by the Israeli military at various targets in the vicinity of the Arab country's capital city of Damascus.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Israeli Foreign and Alternate Prime Minister Lapid US Dept. of State 31 Jan 2022
- Over 15 Israeli spy networks dismantled in massive Lebanese operation: Report Press TV 31 Jan 2022 -- Lebanon's security forces have dismantled more than 15 Israeli spy networks over the past few weeks, according to a report, marking one of the largest security operations in the Arab country since 2009.
- India Bought Pegasus Spyware From Israel in an Alleged Deal Concerning Palestinians, Claims NYT Sputnik 29 Jan 2022 -- The Indian government has categorically rejected claims that it bought the Pegasus spyware from NSO Group, as per a written reply by the Defence Ministry in parliament last year. A joint investigation last year claimed that the spyware has been used to snoop on 50,000 mobile numbers in more than 50 countries since 2016, including India.
- Joint Statement on the Virtual Meeting of the U.S.-Israel Strategic Consultative Group The White House 26 Jan 2022
- Human Rights Watch: Spyware from Israeli Company Used to Hack Senior Staffer VOA 26 Jan 2022 -- A senior staff member of Human Rights Watch had her phones hacked with spyware developed by an Israeli technology company that the United States says was "maliciously" used to target activists, journalists and other people of interest.
- Syria reiterates its right to fully take back occupied Golan Heights from Israel Press TV 20 Jan 2022 -- Syria has reiterated its right to fully take back the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights through all possible means guaranteed by international law, emphasizing that all measures taken by the occupying Tel Aviv regime to change the legal status of the Syrian territory are null and void and have no legal effect under UN resolutions.
- Israel orders three new submarines from thyssenkrupp Marine Systems Thyssenkrupp AG 20 Jan 2022 -- Ministry of Defence on the framework conditions for the purchase of three Dakar-class submarines. After extensive negotiations, all parties involved agreed to the technical content and contractual provisions on Thursday.
- Israel inks $3.4-billion deal with Germany to purchase three military submarines Press TV 20 Jan 2022 -- Israel has signed a deal worth 3 billion euros ($3.4 billion) with Germany to purchase three advanced submarines from the country's Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems.
- Unilateral actions risk undermining engagement between Israeli Government and Palestinian leadership UK FCDO 19 Jan 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador James Kariuki at the Security Council briefing on the Middle East Peace Process
- Israel Offers Intelligence & Security Support to UAE Amid Growing 'Strategic Capability' of Houthis Sputnik 18 Jan 2022 -- Global leaders have rallied around the United Arab Emirates (UAE) since Yemen's Houthi group attacked one of its oil depots using drones and missiles, killing three workers. Strategic analysts say that the attack indicates a significant shift in the strategic capability of militants targeting energy infrastructure in the UAE and Saudi Arabia.
- Israel Knocks Out Simulated Iranian Missile Using Arrow-3 Interceptor Sputnik 18 Jan 2022 -- The Arrow-3 is one of several missile and drone defence systems in Israel's arsenal, and is meant to counter threats including long-range ballistic and cruise missiles. Unlike the Iron Dome air defence system - which has seen plenty of testing against simple Hamas rockets, the Arrow-3's capabilities have yet to be proven in a real-life conflict.
- Israeli Hospital: 4th Vaccination Does Not Prevent Spread of Omicron VOA 17 Jan 2022 -- Preliminary findings suggest that a fourth dose of COVID-19 vaccine does little to stave off infection from the omicron variant, re
- Israel to give US secret weapons wish list for purported use on Iran, Lebanon Press TV 16 Jan 2022 -- The Israeli regime has reportedly prepared a secret wish list of weapons systems that it wants the US to add to the so-called American emergency stockpile in occupied Palestine for purported military action against Iran's civilian nuclear sites and Lebanon's Hezbollah resistance group.
- Israel Reportedly Made 'Wish List' of Weapons for US to Engage Iran, Hezbollah Sputnik 16 Jan 2022 -- The new Israeli government of Naftali Bennet, which came to power last year, has repeatedly warned that it might act preemptively to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. Tehran insists that it doesn't seek to build nukes and that its nuclear programme is peaceful.
- Israeli Military Complete 'Desert Falcon' Aerial Drills With US in Apparent Show of Force to Iran Sputnik 16 Jan 2022 -- In September, the IDF came under CENTCOM's area of responsibility after working mostly with the US European Command. At the same time, Israel has continued its military cooperation with the latter. The move was supposed to allow easier direct communications between the IDF and US personnel in the Middle East.
- Report: Israel's former premier mulls plea bargain in corruption case to avoid jail, exclusion from politics Press TV 16 Jan 2022 -- Former Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu is reportedly negotiating a plea bargain to end his high-profile corruption trial and avoid spending time behind the bars by having his jail term reduced to community service.
- Report: US quietly ditches project to pipe 'Israeli' gas to Europe Press TV 12 Jan 2022 -- The United States has abandoned a subsea pipeline designed to supply Europe with natural gas from the eastern Mediterranean, as tensions continue to grow between Greece and Turkey over gas reserves in the region.
- Four Israeli Women Arrested For Providing Intelligence To Iran RFE/RL 12 Jan 2022 -- Four Israeli women who sent pictures and other information to an Iranian operative have been accused of spying for Iran, Israel's domestic intelligence service said.
- Jordan's King, Israeli Defense Minister Reset Ties VOA 06 Jan 2022 -- The public hosting of an Israeli official by Jordan's King Abdullah II on Wednesday in Amman, observers say, is part of a significant resetting of ties between the two historic peace partners. It was the first such public meeting in more than four years after Jordan was seen as sidelined by the administrations of former U.S. President Donald Trump and ex-Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
- Israeli Army Tanks Shell Syrian Province of Quneitra - Reports Sputnik 05 Jan 2022 -- Israeli army tanks shelled the Syrian province of Quneitra, Syrian news agency SANA reported.
- Israel Defence Forces to Create First Female-Only Unit Sputnik 05 Jan 2022 -- Until now, women could only join the Israeli Army on the frontlines by dropping into one of the mixed gender units as a part of their mandatory conscription. This fact apparently drove away some recruits who were concerned with upholding strict religious modesty laws from service on the frontlines.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Israeli Foreign Minister Lapid US Dept. of State 05 Jan 2022
- Israel's Intel Chief Says Revival of Iran Nuclear Deal Better Than Collapse of JCPOA Talks: Report Sputnik 05 Jan 2022 -- In December, Israeli Foreign Minister Yair Lapid made it clear that Tel Aviv is not opposed in principle to any accord that may be concluded between world powers and Tehran at the ongoing Vienna talks on the possible revival of the Iran nuclear deal.
- Israel's Elbit Gets $53 Million From UAE Air Force for Systems Defending Against Anti-Air Missiles Sputnik 04 Jan 2022 -- The Emirati government said it signed the 2020 Abraham Accords with Israel out of a desire to stop the annexation of Palestinian land in the West Bank, but since the deal happened, it has gotten several lucrative military and trade deals from Israel and the US.
- Israel Registers First 'Flurona' Case, Rare Double Infection of COVID and Seasonal Flu Sputnik 03 Jan 2022 -- In December, the Israeli government approved banning all non-essential travel to Belgium, Canada, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Morocco, Portugal, Switzerland, Turkey, and the United States to prevent the spread of the Omicron coronavirus strain.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list