Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2021 - Israel Special Weapons News
- Israel Says Pfizer Coronavirus Vaccine Shows 92% Effectiveness VOA 30 Jan 2021 -- In the first large-scale, controlled data outside clinical trials, the two-dose Pfizer coronavirus vaccine is showing 92 percent effectiveness, according to Israeli health officials. It's good news for Pfizer, which says the vaccine also appears to work against the British mutation of COVID-19.
- Israel downplays Biden administration's suspension of US fighter jets sale to UAE Press TV 29 Jan 2021 -- Israel has played down a possible set-back for efforts to build up relations with the United Arab Emirates following a decision by US President Joe Biden's administration to suspend the sale of F-35 fighter jets to the Persian Gulf country.
- Netanyahu says US suspension of F-35 deal not to affect UAE-Israel ties Global Times 29 Jan 2021 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday that the US decision to suspend the sale of F-35 warplanes to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) will not affect Israeli ties with the UAE.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Phone Call With Israeli Minister of Defense Benjamin "Benny" Gantz DoD 28 Jan 2021
- Secretary Blinken's First Call with Israeli Foreign Minister Ashkenazi US Dept. of State 27 Jan 2021
- Iran Ready to Strike Israel in Event of 'Slightest Mistake' - Armed Forces Spokesman Sputnik 27 Jan 2021 -- A spokesman for the Iranian Armed Forces, Brigadier General Abolfazl Shekarchi, issued threats in response to statements made by Israel's top brass.
- UN rights experts urge Israel to respect international obligations UN News 26 Jan 2021 -- UN independent rights experts on Tuesday, described Israel's conviction of human rights defender Issa Amro earlier this month, as showing disdain for the country's international obligations.
- Israeli regime opens liaison office in Morocco: Report Press TV 26 Jan 2021 -- The Israeli regime has reportedly opened a liaison office in Morocco, shortly after Rabat normalized relations with Tel Aviv.
- Israel to Shut Down International Airport to Keep out Coronavirus Variants VOA 25 Jan 2021 -- Israel says it plans to shut down its international airport by the end of the week to keep out highly contagious coronavirus variants.
- Turkey to receive 6.5 mln more doses of COVID-19 vaccines from China; Israel bans int'l flights to prevent arrival of new coronavirus variant People's Daily 25 Jan 2021 -- Turkey announced on Sunday that 6.5 million more doses of COVID-19 vaccines would arrive in Turkey from China. Meanwhile, the Israeli cabinet approved a ban on international flights in a bid to prevent the arrival of new COVID-19 variants.
- Israeli Police Clash With Ultra-Orthodox Over COVID Restrictions VOA 24 Jan 2021 -- Across Israel, police clashed Sunday with ultra-Orthodox Jews who violated coronavirus lockdown rules by opening schools and religious seminaries. Despite an impressive vaccine rollout, Israel is in the midst of a third lockdown to try to stop the growing number of cases.
- US to deploy Iron Dome missiles to bases in Persian Gulf states: Israeli officials Press TV 24 Jan 2021 -- Israeli security officials say the United States is expected to soon begin deploying Iron Dome missile systems to its bases in the Persian Gulf Arab countries.
- Israeli Government Ratifies Agreement on Normalisation of Relations With Morocco, Reports Say Sputnik 24 Jan 2021 -- The Israeli government has ratified the agreement on normalisation of diplomatic relations with Morocco, media reported on Sunday.
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Emily Horne on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's Call with National Security Advisor Meir Ben Shabbat of Israel The White House 24 Jan 2021
- Head of Mossad to Outline Israeli Demands to Biden for Rejoining Iran Nuclear Deal - Report Sputnik 23 Jan 2021 -- During his presidential campaign, Joe Biden laid out his plans to rejoin the Iranian nuclear agreement after the Trump administration withdrew in 2018, claiming that Tehran was not acting in accordance with the deal's demands to limit the development of nuclear material.
- Israeli Army Says It Has Downed Drone Launched From Lebanon Sputnik 22 Jan 2021 -- The traditionally tense relations between Israel and Lebanon worsened last year in the wake of an alleged Israeli drone attack in Beirut against a Hezbollah media office.
- Experts: Israel Likely to Continue Attacking Iranian Targets in Eastern Syria VOA 22 Jan 2021 -- Israel is likely to continue its air campaign against Iranian forces and allied militias in Syria, particularly in the eastern part of the country, according to some experts.
- Syrian air defense units intercept, destroy Israeli missiles over Hama Press TV 22 Jan 2021 -- Syrian air defenses have thwarted another Israeli aggression against the war-ravaged Arab country, and shot down a large number of "hostile" missiles in the skies over the western-central province of Hama.
- Recipients testing positive in Israel sparks concern over Pfizer vaccine efficacy Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- More than 12,400 in Israel were reportedly infected after accepting Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine, which led to doubts over the vaccine's efficacy, despite the reported 95 percent efficacy in Phase III clinical trials.
- Israeli regime signals snubbing US if it rejoins Iran deal: TV report Press TV 21 Jan 2021 -- A new report cites a "very senior Israeli official" as saying that the occupying regime would start snubbing the US if it reentered a 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers that was ditched by the previous American administration.
- Israel Shares Vaccine Data With Pfizer VOA 20 Jan 2021 -- Israel has sped ahead of any other country in its vaccine rollout, with more than 2 million people out of a total of 9.3 million already having received the first vaccination. In exchange for access to so many doses so early, Israel agreed to share data with Pfizer, a move some in Israel says raises privacy concerns.
- Israel in 'mad scramble' to promote settlement activity amid change in US administration Press TV 20 Jan 2021 -- Ignoring international outcry against its settlement expansion policy, the Israeli regime plans to build more than 2,500 settler units in the occupied Palestinian territories.
- Israel: 'Halt and reverse' new settlement construction â€“ UN chief UN News 19 Jan 2021 -- Israel's decision to advance plans for some 800 new settlement units, most of which are located deep inside the occupied West Bank, has sparked the concern of UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres.
- UK 'seriously concerned' by Israel's West Bank settlement expansion Press TV 18 Jan 2021 -- The British government has expressed serious concern about Israeli plans to expand settlements in the occupied West Bank, calling for an immediate halt to the illegal construction as the move could threaten future peace negotiations.
- EU urges Israel to halt settlement expansion in West Bank Press TV 18 Jan 2021 -- The European Union has urged Israel to halt its settlement expansion in the occupied West Bank.
- Syrian Foreign Ministry Refutes Reports About Contacts With Israel Sputnik 18 Jan 2021 -- The Syrian Foreign Ministry on Monday denied reports about alleged contacts with Israel, reiterating its "firm" stance on "Israeli occupiers."
- UAE, Israel to partake for first time in joint military drills in Greece Press TV 17 Jan 2021 -- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Israel plan to take part in a joint military drill in Greece, the first public revelation of military corporation between the two after their normalization of ties last August.
- Trump orders CENTCOM to cover Israel, calls UAE, Bahrain key 'security partners' Press TV 17 Jan 2021 -- Outgoing US President Donald Trump has ordered the country's Central Command (CENTCOM) to coordinate military activities with the Israeli regime, while also designating Persian Gulf Arab kingdoms of Bahrain and the UAE as "major security partners" in his final days in office.
- Department of Defense Statement on Unified Command Plan Change DoD 15 Jan 2021 -- The United States has made a change to the Unified Command Plan. The 2020 UCP shifts Israel from the U.S European Command area of responsibility to the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility.
- U.S. Aligns Key Partners Against Shared Threats in the Middle East DoD News 15 Jan 2021 -- In a sign of the changing political environment in the Middle East, the United States military will move Israel from the U.S. European Command's area of responsibility to that of the U.S. Central Command, DOD officials announced today.
- Syria condemns new Israeli raids, urges UN action Press TV 14 Jan 2021 -- The Syrian government has condemned new Israeli airstrikes on Syrian territory, calling on the United Nations Security Council to take immediate and decisive measures to prevent the repetition of such attacks.
- US-Israeli Intelligence Reportedly Closely Coordinated 'Massive Air Strikes' on Syria Sputnik 14 Jan 2021 -- Israeli warplanes carried out a series of intense air strikes near the Syrian towns of Deir ez-Zor, Mayadeen and Boukamal along the border with Iraq on Wednesday, amid heightened tension in the region, driven by fears of retaliation for the US killing of Iran's Revolutionary Guard commander Qassem Soleimani last year in Baghdad.
- Dozens of Fighters Killed in Israeli Airstrikes Inside Syria VOA 14 Jan 2021 -- A series of airstrikes in eastern Syria this week, allegedly by Israel, killed at least 57 people, most of them fighters from Iranian-backed militias, according to international monitoring groups. The targets were reportedly Iranian weapons storehouses and fighters.
- US official reveals Israel carried out attacks on eastern Syria using American intelligence Press TV 13 Jan 2021 -- A senior US intelligence official says recent airstrikes on eastern parts of Syria near the Iraqi border were carried out by Israel with intelligence provided by the United States.
- Dozens Said Killed As Alleged Israeli Strikes Hit Iran-Backed Militias In Syria RFE/RL 13 Jan 2021 -- A Syrian war monitor says at least 40 government soldiers and allied paramilitaries have been killed in alleged Israeli air strikes apparently targeting positions and arms depots of Iran-backed forces.
- Israeli Warplanes Strike Eastern Syria VOA 13 Jan 2021 -- Israeli warplanes carried out airstrikes in eastern Syria early Wednesday.
- Joint Statement of the 47th U.S.-Israel Joint Political-Military Group US Dept. of State 12 Jan 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America and Israel on the meeting of the 47th U.S.-Israel Joint Political-Military Group.
- Israeli PM orders plans to be advanced for construction of 800 new settler units before Biden sworn in Press TV 11 Jan 2021 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered plans be advanced for the construction of 800 new settler units in the occupied West Bank, days before the inauguration of US President-elect Joe Biden.
- Greece, Israel Seal $1.6 Billion Defense Deal VOA 08 Jan 2021 -- Greece said Tuesday it had approved a landmark $1.68 billion deal with Israel, providing for the procurement of 10 state-of-the-art jet fighters and training of pilots as the government in Athens upgrades its defenses, mainly against its longtime foe Turkey.
- COVID Cases Rise in Israel Despite Successful Vaccine Rollout VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- Israel is the world leader in number of COVID-19 vaccinations per person, with 15 percent of the population already vaccinated. At the same time, the number of coronavirus infections is spiraling and Israel is going into another tight lockdown.
- Egyptian, Israeli FMs discuss efforts to resume Israeli-Palestinian peace talks People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- Egyptian Minister of Foreign Affairs Sameh Shoukry and his Israeli counterpart Gabi Ashkenazi on Wednesday discussed over the phone the efforts exerted to resume the Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.
- Sudan Signs on to Abraham Accords, Normalizing Relations With Israel VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- Sudan has officially signed the Abraham Accords, agreeing to normalize relations with Israel. The deal paves the way for Sudan to relieve its massive debt to the World Bank.
- Sudan signs agreement with US to officially normalize ties with Israel Press TV 07 Jan 2021 -- Sudan has signed the so-called Abraham Accords with the United States, officially agreeing to normalize relations with the Israeli regime.
- Israeli missile attack targets military sites south of Syrian capital: report People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- The Syrian air defenses responded to an Israeli missile attack on south of the capital Damascus on Wednesday night, state news agency SANA reported.
- Iran COVID-19 death toll drops to 82 IRNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Spokeswoman for Iran's Ministry of Health and Medical Education Sima Sadat Lari announced here on Wednesday that the COVID-19 death toll in Iran has dropped to 82 during the past 24 hours.
- Barekat COVID-19 vaccine injected to four other Iranian volunteers IRNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Iranian coronavirus vaccine named 'COV-Iran Barekat' has been injected to second group of volunteers, Director of clinical trial center of Tehran University of Medical Sciences Hamed Hosseini said on Wednesday.
- Syrian air defenses thwart Israeli aggression: SANA Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- Syria's air defenses have thwarted an Israeli missile attack on southern Damascus, shooting down most of the missiles.
- Serious evidence about Israel's role in terror attack on Iranian scientist IRNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Iran's Minister of Defense Brigadier General Amir Hatami announced that there is "serious evidence" about the role of the Zionist regime of Israel in the November 2020 assassination of Iranian scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh.
- Israel calls for int'l action against Iran's uranium enrichment People's Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- Israel on Monday urged the international community to take "a determined response" against Iran after the Islamic republic announced that it will increase the uranium enrichment level.
- Israeli Defence Minister Says Tel Aviv Needs One More F-35 Squadron Sputnik 04 Jan 2021 -- Israeli Defence Minister Benny Gantz told Ynet news portal that Tel Aviv needs to buy one more squadron of US stealth F-35 fighter jets.
- The Curious Case Of Bishkek's $1 Million Deal With Ex-Israeli Intelligence Worker RFE/RL 04 Jan 2021 -- Confusion and intrigue have reigned in Kyrgyzstan since compromised parliamentary elections on October 4, 2020, sparked street protests that brought down the government and forced the president of the Central Asian country to resign.
- Israel Warns Iran About Uranium Enrichment Announcement VOA 04 Jan 2021 -- Israeli officials said Monday that they will not allow Iran to produce a nuclear weapon. Israel was responding to Iran's announcement that its scientists have resumed enriching uranium to 20 percent purity. The exchange is increasing tensions just two weeks before U.S. President-elect Joe Biden is set to take office.
- Netanyahu Claims Iran's Move to Boost Uranium Enrichment Shows Intention to Develop Nuclear Weapons Sputnik 04 Jan 2021 -- Earlier in the day, Tehran said it had started producing 20 percent enriched uranium in Fordow nuclear complex.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list