Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2020 - Israel Special Weapons News
- 'High time for accountability', UN expert says as Israel approves highest rate of illegal settlements UN News 30 Oct 2020 -- The international community must answer a "grave" breach of international law with "more than mere criticism", an independent UN expert said on Friday after the Israeli Government announced its approval of nearly 5,000 new settlement homes in occupied Palestinian territory.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper's Meeting With Israeli Minister of Defense Benjamin Gantz DoD 29 Oct 2020
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper's Meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu DoD 29 Oct 2020
- U.S. Citizens Born in Jerusalem US Dept. of State 29 Oct 2020 -- "Consistent with President Trump's Jerusalem Proclamation of December 6, 2017, and the historic opening of the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem on May 14, 2018, today I am announcing updates to the Department's guidance on passports and other consular documents issued to U.S. citizens."
- Jerusalem-born US Citizens May List Israel as Birth Country, Pompeo Says VOA 29 Oct 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Thursday that U.S. citizens born in Jerusalem will now be able to list Israel as their country of birth on their passports.
- Second Round of Talks on Israel-Lebanon Maritime Border Starts in Naqoura, State Media Reports Sputnik 28 Oct 2020 -- The second round of US-mediated indirect negotiations between Israel and Lebanon on the demarcation of a maritime border has been launched at the base of the UN Interim Force in the southern town of Naqoura, the state-owned NNA news agency reported on Wednesday.
- Israel, Lebanon to Start Maritime Border Talks VOA 26 Oct 2020 -- U.S.-mediated maritime border talks between Lebanon and Israel start in earnest on Wednesday, following a recent opening ceremony. Technically in a state of war and with no diplomatic relations, both countries claim some 860 square kilometer of the eastern Mediterranean's potentially hydrocarbon rich waters.
- Hamas denounces Sudan's normalization with Israel Press TV 26 Oct 2020 -- The Palestinian resistance movement Hamas has denounced Sudan's current junta for its decision to follow suit amid normalization of relations between certain Persian Gulf Arab countries and the Israeli regime.
- Sudan's transitional government plunged into quagmire of betrayal, normalization: Hezbollah Press TV 26 Oct 2020 -- The Lebanese Hezbollah resistance movement has roundly condemned Sudan's interim government for agreement to normalize full diplomatic ties with Israel, saying authorities in the Northeast African state are stuck in the quagmire of treason and normalization with the Tel Aviv regime.
- Sudan: Normalization With Israel Was US Condition But Will Be Beneficial VOA 26 Oct 2020 -- Sudan's transitional government said the decision to normalize relations with Israel was a necessary move that will benefit the Sudanese people economically.
- IDF Launches Huge 'Deadly Arrow' Military Drills, Simulates War Against Hezbollah Sputnik 25 Oct 2020 -- The largest military exercise of the year in Israel has been scaled down from its original plan due to the coronavirus pandemic, switching the focus to wartime communications between various headquarters, according to official statements from the armed forces.
- Sudan's Normalization Deal with Israel Faces Hurdles VOA 25 Oct 2020 -- Sudan on Friday became the third state to move toward normalizing relations with Israel. But unlike Israel's recent deal with Abu Dhabi where hotels are already promoting packages for Israeli tourists, the deal with Sudan still faces several hurdles, including some public opposition.
- Sudan's normalization with Israel great betrayal: Palestine official Press TV 24 Oct 2020 -- Palestinians have denounced as "great betrayal" Sudan's recent decision to follow the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain in forging diplomatic relations with Israel.
- Iran: US secured Sudan's normalization deal with Israel through 'ransom' Press TV 24 Oct 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry has denounced a US-brokered agreement between Israel and Sudan to begin normalizing relations as a "ransom" paid by Khartoum in return for Washington taking it off a blacklist of state sponsors of terrorism.
- UN expresses hope 'new opportunities' will arise from Sudan's recognition of Israel UN News 24 Oct 2020 -- The UN chief on Saturday said he was taking note of the announcement that Sudan has agreed to normalize relations with Israel, expressing hope that further cooperation will advance international peace and prosperity.
- Trump Announces US-Brokered Israel-Sudan Normalization VOA 23 Oct 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump announced Friday that Sudan and Israel had agreed to normalize relations, and he touted it as his foreign policy achievement in the Middle East ahead of the November 3 U.S. presidential election.
- Remarks by President Trump Announcing Normalization of Relations Between Sudan and Israel The White House 23 Oct 2020
- Israeli warplanes attack Gaza Strip Press TV 23 Oct 2020 -- The Israeli military has carried out several airstrikes against positions in the central and soutthern parts of the besiged Gaza Strip.
- 'New stab in Palestine's back': Sudan agrees to normalizes with Israel Press TV 23 Oct 2020 -- Sudan's transitional government has agreed to normalize ties with the regime in Israel after the US removed the African state from its terrorism blacklist and offered it financial aid in exchange.
- Sudan Becomes Fifth Arab State to Agree to Normalise Relations With Israel Sputnik 23 Oct 2020 -- Sudan has become the third Arab country to agree to normalise relations with Israel in the run-up to the US vote.
- Joint Statement of the United States, the Republic of Sudan, and the State of Israel The White House 23 Oct 2020
- Readout of Defense Secretary Dr. Mark T. Esper's Meeting With Israeli Minister of Defense Benjamin Gantz DoD 22 Oct 2020
- SECDEF Remarks With Israeli Minister of Defense Gantz at the Pentagon DoD 22 Oct 2020 -- Secretary Of Defense Mark T. Esper; Israeli Minister Of Defense Benjamin "Benny" Gantz
- Esper Repeats U.S. Commitment to Guarantee Israel's Qualitative Edge DoD News 22 Oct 2020 -- During an impromptu press conference, Defense Secretary Dr. Mark. T. Esper reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to maintain Israel's qualitative superiority in weapons sales.
- Israel ran secret diplomatic mission in Bahrain for 11 yrs before ties formalization: Report Press TV 22 Oct 2020 -- Israel has reportedly run a secret diplomatic mission in Bahrain for more than a decade through a front company listed as a commercial consulting firm, before Bahraini and Israeli officials signed a joint communiquÃ© at the weekend to officially establish bilateral diplomatic relations.
- Israel Had Secret Embassy in Bahrain for Over a Decade Before 2020 Peace Accord - Report Sputnik 22 Oct 2020 -- Israel has actually been operating a secret diplomatic office in Bahrain for more than a decade before the two nations penned a peace deal that normalized relations last month, according to a new Axios report.
- Israel Defense Forces Launch Retaliatory Strikes on Gaza After Intercepting Rocket Sputnik 20 Oct 2020 -- The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed retaliatory strikes on Gaza Tuesday local time after intercepting a rocket fired from Gaza earlier that day.
- Israel, UAE Sign First Cooperation Agreements VOA 20 Oct 2020 -- A senior delegation from the United Arab Emirates arrived in Israel for the first official visit since the two countries signed a peace agreement last month. They signed a series of bilateral agreements, including a visa waiver agreement.
- Joint Statement by the United States, the Kingdom of Bahrain, and the State of Israel The White House 19 Oct 2020
- Arab League, Europeans condemn Israel's approvals for new settler homes in occupied West Bank Press TV 16 Oct 2020 -- Arab League and top European diplomats have denounced Israel's approval of thousands of new settler units across the occupied West Bank, less than a month after the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Bahrain signed agreements to normalize relations with the Tel Aviv regime, which in return pledged to freeze its plans to annex swathes of the occupied territory.
- Western European States Urge Israel to Halt Building Settlements in West Bank Sputnik 16 Oct 2020 -- Germany, France, Italy, the United Kingdom and Spain have expressed concern about Israel's plans to built nearly 5,000 housing units in the occupied West Bank and called on Tel Aviv to stop all settlement-related activities in the region, according to the joint communique by the foreign ministries of these states.
- Enduring Lightning III exercise brings together U.S., Israeli air forces US Air Force 14 Oct 2020 -- U.S. Air Forces Central and the Israeli Air Force conducted exercise Enduring Lightning III Oct. 12, in the skies over Israel. It was the third joint exercise between the two countries involving the F-35 Lightning II.
- Coronavirus-Related Lockdown in Israel Extended Until 18 October Sputnik 14 Oct 2020 -- The period of the general quarantine to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Israel has been extended until October 18, the prime minister and the health minister said in a joint statement.
- After normalization, expanding settlements: Israel approves more units Press TV 14 Oct 2020 -- For the first time since the conclusion of normalization deals with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Bahrain, Israel has approved the construction of over 1,300 new settler units across the occupied West Bank.
- Talks begin to resolve disputed Lebanon-Israel maritime border UN News 14 Oct 2020 -- The UN Secretary-General has welcomed the launch of ground-breaking discussions on Wednesday, over the disputed maritime border between Lebanon and Israel in the eastern Mediterranean, following a framework agreement between the two nations at the beginning of the month.
- Joint Statement on the Launch of the Israel-Lebanon Maritime Talks US Dept. of State 14 Oct 2020 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Government of the United States and the Office of the UN Special Coordinator for Lebanon.
- Lebanon, Israel hold 1st round of indirect demarcation talks Press TV 14 Oct 2020 -- Delegations from Beirut and Tel Aviv have taken part in an opening round of indirect negotiations on the demarcation of Lebanon's southern maritime border with the occupying entity, and agreed to meet again in two weeks.
- Israel, Lebanon Launch Maritime Border Talks VOA 14 Oct 2020 -- Israel and Lebanon have launched indirect talks about their disputed sea border.
- Israel Confirms September Attacks on Syrian Military Targets Sputnik 14 Oct 2020 -- The Israeli armed forces conducted strikes on Syrian military targets back in September, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesman for Arab media, Avichay Adraee, confirmed on Wednesday.
- Israel green-lights construction of 100s new settler units in occupied West Bank Press TV 12 Oct 2020 -- Israeli authorities have approved plans for the construction of hundreds of new settler units in the occupied West Bank, despite an agreement reached with the United Arab Emirates last month on normalization of ties, which is claimed to have put a freeze on Tel Aviv's plans for further annexation of Palestinian territories.
- Israeli Cabinet Approves UAE Peace Deal VOA 12 Oct 2020 -- Israel's Cabinet has approved an agreement on normalizing relations with the United Arab Emirates, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Monday he and Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan have agreed to meet soon.
- Israel Will Oppose Any US Sale of F-35s to Qatar, Cabinet Minister Says Sputnik 11 Oct 2020 -- On Thursday, Reuters learned from three anonymous sources that Qatar had "in recent weeks" filed a request with the United States for the purchase of the stealth multirole fighter jets.
- Israeli minister tests positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 04 Oct 2020 -- Israel's Minister of Environmental Protection Gila Gamliel tested positive for the novel coronavirus, the minister said on her Twitter account late on Saturday.
- Shrugging off global outcry, Israel moves to build 4,500 settler units Press TV 04 Oct 2020 -- Despite international outcry against the Tel Aviv regime's policies of land grab and illegal settlement expansion, Israel will build yet another 4,500 settler units in the occupied West Bank.
- UN chief welcomes agreement on Israel-Lebanon border demarcation talks People's Daily 02 Oct 2020 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday welcomed the announcements of an agreement to launch talks on border delineation between Lebanon and Israel, said his spokesman.
- Framework Agreement for Israel-Lebanon Maritime Discussions US Dept. of State 01 Oct 2020 -- The United States welcomes the decision by the Governments of Israel and Lebanon to begin discussions on the maritime boundary. This historic agreement between the two parties was brokered by the United States and is the result of nearly three years of intense diplomatic engagement by Ambassador David Satterfield and Assistant Secretary David Schenker.
- Briefing With Assistant Secretary for Near Eastern Affairs David Schenker On the Framework Agreement for Israel-Lebanon Maritime Discussions US Dept. of State 01 Oct 2020
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list