Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2020 - Israel Special Weapons News
- Jordan warns UK, US of 'unprecedented danger' of Israel's land grab bid Press TV 31 May 2020 -- Jordan's Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi has cautioned Britain and the United States against the "unprecedented danger" posed by an Israeli scheme to annex parts of the occupied Palestinian territory, urging the international community to step in.
- Israeli aircraft lands at Sudan's Khartoum airport amid normalization attempts: Report Press TV 26 May 2020 -- An Israeli private aircraft has reportedly landed at Khartoum International Airport as the Tel Aviv regime and Sudan's sovereign council are engaged in cooperation towards normalization of bilateral ties.
- Erdogan Says Turkey 'Won't Allow' Israel to Claim New West Bank Territories Sputnik 26 May 2020 -- The Turkish president's comments come a day after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reiterated his intention to "apply sovereignty in a wise way in Judea and Samaria", calling parts of the West Bank by their biblical names.
- Israel will not miss 'historic opportunity' to annex West Bank: Netanyahu Press TV 25 May 2020 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says the Tel Aviv regime will not miss a "historic opportunity" to go ahead with its controversial plans to annex parts of the occupied West Bank and extend its law to those areas, calling the move one of the main priorities of his new coalition administration.
- US asks Israel to sever burgeoning ties with China: Paper Press TV 24 May 2020 -- The United States has asked Israel to sever ties with China in areas which entail security risks, the Jerusalem Post reports.
- Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu's Trial Begins in Jerusalem VOA 24 May 2020 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu went on trial Sunday on three cases of fraud, corruption and breach of trust. If convicted, Netanyahu faces years in jail. He maintains his innocence and accuses the justice system of trying to engineer a coup against him.
- Jordan threatens to review relations with Israel over West Bank annexation plans Press TV 22 May 2020 -- Jordanian Prime Minister Omar al-Razzaz says his country would review its relationship with Israel in case the Tel Aviv regime proceeds with its controversial plans to annex parts of the occupied West Bank.
- Ayatollah Khamenei: Everyone must assist in holy struggle to liberate Palestine Press TV 22 May 2020 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says the struggle to liberate Palestine is an obligation and an Islamic goal, adding "everyone must assist the Palestinian nation in this holy struggle".
- White House Condemns Khamenei's 'Anti-Semitic Rhetoric', Threats Radio Farda 22 May 2020 -- In a tweet on Thursday the White House National Security Council condemned "anti-Semitic rhetoric and threats by Iranian Supreme Leader Khamenei against Israel".
- Khamenei On Qods Day: Yell At America, Israel Will Be Eliminated! Radio Farda 22 May 2020 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei has once again called on Palestinians to continue their struggle against Israel and called the Palestinian question an international problem rather than an Islamic or Arab issue.
- Netanyahu Says Khamenei Threat Of 'Final Solution' Evokes Nazi Slogan Radio Farda 21 May 2020 -- The Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday said the Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei's "threat" to apply the "Final Solution" to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict "is reminiscent of the Nazis' ultimate solution for exterminating the Jews."
- Iran's Guards Attack Regional Leaders For 'Normalization Of Relations With Zionists' Radio Farda 21 May 2020 -- In a statement issued on Thursday on the eve of Qods Day, Iran's Revolutionary Guard attacked regional leaders for "normalization of their official relations" with Israel, which they called "a cancerous tumor" to be wiped from the face of the earth.
- Abbas Tears Up Security Agreements with Israel, US VOA 20 May 2020 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas says the Palestinian Authority is tearing up its agreements with Israel and the United States& because of Israeli plans to annex part of the occupied West Bank.
- Palestinian president ends agreements with Israel, US over annexation Press TV 20 May 2020 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has declared an end to all agreements with Israel and the United States in response to an Israeli regime's plan to annex parts of the occupied West Bank.
- UN Envoy Urges Israel to 'Abandon Threats of Annexation' of West Bank VOA 20 May 2020 -- The United Nations' top diplomat for the Middle East peace process called on Israel on Wednesday to "abandon threats of annexation" of a large portion of the West Bank.
- Israel must 'abandon threats of annexation': UN envoy Press TV 20 May 2020 -- The United Nations' special envoy for the Mideast has called on Israel to abandon plans to annex parts of the occupied West Bank, joining a growing international chorus of opposition.
- Lebanon's Hezbollah says perfectly ready for any confrontation with Israel Press TV 20 May 2020 -- A senior Hezbollah official says the liberation of Jerusalem al-Quds from Israeli occupation tops the agenda of the regional resistance front, and that the Lebanese movement is fully prepared for any type of confrontation with the regime in Tel Aviv in line with that objective.
- Hezbollah Does Not Seek War With Israel, But Preparing for Any Scenario - Top Member Sputnik 20 May 2020 -- Lebanon's Hezbollah movement does not seek war with Israel but is preparing for any scenario, Sayyed Hashem Safieddine, the head of the movement's executive council, said in an interview with Al Mayadeen broadcaster on Wednesday ahead of the 20th anniversary of the Israeli troops' withdrawal from Lebanon.
- UN Middle East peace envoy warns against unilateral action on all sides, as Israel threatens West Bank annexation UN News 20 May 2020 -- The UN's Middle East peace envoy issued a stern warning on Wednesday against any unilateral action – including an Israeli annexation of parts of the West Bank – that could undermine diplomatic efforts to get Israelis and Palestinians back to the negotiating table.
- UAE's Etihad Airways makes first known flight to Israel amid normalization attempts Press TV 20 May 2020 -- The United Arab Emirates (UAE)'s state-owned Etihad Airways has made a first known flight to the Israeli-occupied territories with the alleged goal of delivering aid to Palestinians as Arab regimes and Tel Aviv scale up their attempts to normalize relations.
- Hamas: Israelis held in Gaza won't be released without real swap deal Press TV 19 May 2020 -- The Hamas resistance movement says the Israeli captives held in Gaza since Tel Aviv's 2014 war on the blockaded Palestinian enclave will not be released until a "real" agreement is reached on exchanging prisoners.
- EU won't recognize unilateral Israeli annexation of occupied land: Borrell Press TV 19 May 2020 -- The European Union (EU)'s foreign policy chief has warned Israel against acting on its "unilateral" decision to annex parts of the occupied Palestinian territory, saying the 27-nation bloc will not recognize any such changes to the 1967 borders.
- Palestinians Withdraw From All Agreements With Israel, US - Mahmoud Abbas Sputnik 19 May 2020 -- Head of the Palestinian Authority Mahmoud Abbas has repeatedly warned Israel that he will tear up any bilateral agreements if the Jewish state will try to extend its sovereignty over parts of the West Bank, which is a possibility left open by the Israeli new unity government.
- Palestinian PM: 'Moment of Truth' as Israeli Annexation Looms VOA 19 May 2020 -- It is the "moment of truth" for the international community to stand behind Palestians in the face of the intended annexation of a large portion of the West Bank by Israel, Prime Minister Mohammed Shtayyeh said Monday.
- Syria vows fight against 'American, Turkish, Israeli occupiers' Press TV 19 May 2020 -- Syria's UN envoy says any presence of foreign forces on Syrian soil without authorization from the Damascus government amounts to "aggression and occupation," emphasizing the Arab nation's right to defend its sovereignty and resources.
- Israeli Operatives Behind 'Highly Accurate' Cyberattack on Iranian Port Facility, Report Claims Sputnik 19 May 2020 -- On 10 May, the managing director of Iran's Ports and Maritime Organization, Mohammad Rastad, confirmed in a televised statement that the county's port of Shahid Rajaee, in the coastal city of Bandar Abbas, was the victim of a cyberattack by an unknown foreign hacker on 9 May, bringing to a halt all shipping traffic in the facility.
- Israeli cyber terrorist attack targets Iranian port: Report Press TV 19 May 2020 -- Israel carried out a cyber terrorist attack that caused disruption at an Iranian port this month, the Washington Post reports.
- Israeli PM defies intl. backlash, says next govt. must annex West Bank Press TV 17 May 2020 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has once again defied the international outcry against his plan to annex more parts of the occupied West Bank, saying that the regime's new cabinet must enforce Tel Aviv's rule over settlements constructed in the occupied territory.ides entered a sixth day in the southern Yemeni province of Abyan.
- Pompeo warns ICC of 'consequences' if it probes Israeli war crimes Press TV 17 May 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has threatened that Washington will "exact consequences" if the International Criminal Court (ICC) moves ahead with a potential war crimes investigation into Israel.
- Israeli Law Should Apply to West Bank Settlements, Netanyahu Says Sputnik 17 May 2020 -- The new unity government of Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud and Benny Gantz's Blue and White alliance is set to be sworn in, ending more than a year of political deadlock.
- Israel Swears-In New Unity Government VOA 17 May 2020 -- Israel finally has a new government after more than a year of deadlock, but the new power-sharing administration between the right and centrist wings has not put the political controversy to rest.
- Pompeo Warns ICC Against Asserting Authority Over Israel VOA 16 May 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned the International Criminal Court Friday that if it continues to assert authority over Israel, the U.S. will "exact consequences."
- The International Criminal Court's Illegitimate Prosecutions US Dept. of State 15 May 2020 -- "The International Criminal Court is a political body, not a judicial institution. This unfortunate reality has been confirmed yet again by the ICC Prosecutor's attempt to assert jurisdiction over Israel, which like the United States, is not a party to the Rome Statute that created the Court."
- Jordan warns of clash with Israel if West Bank annexation goes ahead Press TV 15 May 2020 -- Jordan's King Abdullah II warns Israel that the regime should wait for a major clash with the kingdom if it goes ahead with plans to annex the occupied Palestinian territories of the West Bank and the Jordan Valley.
- Israel takes advantage of pandemic to annex parts of West Bank: Palestine UN envoy Press TV 14 May 2020 -- Palestine's permanent representative to the United Nations Riyad Mansour says the Israeli regime continues to exploit the global preoccupation with the novel coronavirus pandemic to press ahead with its plans to annex parts of the occupied West Bank in full coordination with US President Donald Trump's administration.
- Israeli Air Force to Shutter F-16 Squadron, Focus on F-35s Amid Modernization Effort Sputnik 14 May 2020 -- The newly announced decision to shutter the Israeli Air Force's (IAF) oldest F-16 squadron came as a direct result of the military's large-scale, multi-year "Momentum" plan, which seeks to enhance the lethality of the Israel Defense Force (IDF) and signals a targeted focus on Iran.
- Briefing with Senior State Department Officials On Secretary Pompeo's Travel to Jerusalem, Israel US Dept. of State 13 May 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo's Meeting With Speaker of the Knesset Gantz US Dept. of State 13 May 2020
- Pompeo Urges Israel to Go Slow on West Bank Annexation VOA 13 May 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is urging Israel not to rush into plans to annex parts of the West Bank – a move that opponents say would destroy the chances for lasting peace.
- Secretary of State Pompeo Travels to Israel for Iran, West Bank Talks VOA 13 May 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Wednesday wrapped up a day-long trip to Israel, where he held meetings with Israeli officials. The talks focused on shared concerns about Iran and the Trump administration's peace plan, which allows Israel to annex almost one-third of the West Bank and could spark new tensions in the Middle East.
- Netanyahu Notifies Israeli President of Formation of Government Sputnik 13 May 2020 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu notified President Reuven Rivlin that he had formed a government, the presidential office said on Wednesday.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 13 May 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo's Meeting With Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu US Dept. of State 13 May 2020
- Israel's annexation plan means end to peace illusions: Palestinian official Press TV 10 May 2020 -- Israel's controversial plan to annex parts of the occupied West Bank means an end to peace efforts and the so-called two-state solution, a senior Palestinian official says.
- UN Security Council to address Israel's annexation plan later this month: Palestine UN envoy Press TV 08 May 2020 -- A high-ranking Palestinian official says the UN Security Council is scheduled to convene later this month to discuss Israel's controversial plan to annex much of the occupied West Bank, and to rally international pressure on the regime to abandon the decision.
- Greece, Cyprus, Israel move to set up 'corona corridor' for travel VOA 07 May 2020 -- Quarantines and travel don't mix, but Greece is contemplating opening its borders to travelers from at least two other countries whose COVID-19 outbreaks are under control to revive tourism, which has been devastated by the pandemic.
- Israel's top court allows scandal-tainted Netanyahu to form new administration Press TV 07 May 2020 -- Israel's top court has ruled that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu can legally form a new coalition administration while facing criminal indictments, a decision that appears certain to secure his grip on power.
- Israel's COVID-19 cases rise to 16,289, death toll at 238 Global Times 06 May 2020 -- The number of coronavirus infections in Israel surged to 16,289 after 43 new cases were reported, the state's Ministry of Health said Tuesday.
- Israel approves thousands of new units in West Bank settlement Press TV 06 May 2020 -- The Israeli minister for military affairs, Naftali Bennett, has approved a plan for the construction of thousands of new settler units in the occupied West Bank, ignoring the international outcry against the Tel Aviv regime's illegal settlement expansion activities and land grab policies in Palestinian territories.
- US ready to recognize Israel 'sovereignty' in West Bank, Friedman says Press TV 06 May 2020 -- US Ambassador to Israel David Friedman says Washington is ready to recognize the Tel Aviv regime's sovereignty in parts of the occupied West Bank, including the Jordan Valley, as US authorities look to implement President Donald Trump's so-called deal of the century.
- German Intelligence is Reportedly Among Mediators in Secret Israel-Hamas Swap Talks Sputnik 06 May 2020 -- Germany's Federal Intelligence Service (BND), a high-ranking Swiss diplomat and a retired Egyptian army general have been mediating between Israel and Hamas on a possible prisoner swap for nearly two years, German newspaper Die Zeit reported Wednesday.
- Israel Not To Stop Operations Until Iran Driven Out Of Syria, Defense Minister Says Radio Farda 06 May 2020 -- Speaking to the state-owned Kan 11 news channel on Tuesday following airstrikes in the north of Syria that killed at least 14 fighters, Israeli Defense Minister Naftali Bennett said Israel will keep up its operations in Syria until Iran is driven out.
- Israeli Defence Ministry Says It Signed Contract to Lease Greece Drones for Border Defence Sputnik 06 May 2020 -- Israel will be leasing reconnaissance drones to Greece for the protection of borders under a three-year agreement signed on Wednesday by the two countries' respective ministries of defence, the Israeli Defence Ministry said in a press release.
- Israeli Supreme Court Approves Netanyahu-Gantz Coalition Deal, New Govt to Be Sworn In 13 May Sputnik 06 May 2020 -- On Wednesday, the High Court of Justice has unanimously rejected the petitions against Benjamin Netanyahu forming the new government while being under indictment, as well as those against Netanyahu and Gantz making a coalition deal.
- Israel's Top Court Allows Netanyahu to Form New Government VOA 06 May 2020 -- In an eagerly awaited decision, Israel's supreme court ruled Wednesday that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu can form a new government even while under indictment for alleged corruption.
- Israeli Government 'Forgot' to Approve Extension of Lockdown in Major Coronavirus Hotspot Sputnik 05 May 2020 -- Tel Aviv began a gradual easing of COVID-19 related lockdown measures in late April after managing to keep the country's total confirmed infection rate at just over 16,000, and a reported death rate of 237 coronavirus-related fatalities.
- Fate of Israel's scandal-hit PM at stake as coalition deal faces legal challenge Press TV 05 May 2020 -- The stakes are high for Israel's embattled Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as a Supreme Court ruling is expected later this week on the question of whether he is legally qualified to form a cabinet under a coalition deal with his main rival while facing criminal indictments.
- Israel's Likud submits bill to Knesset to annex more Palestinian land Press TV 04 May 2020 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud Party has submitted a bill to the Knesset that calls for occupying more Palestinian territories against the backdrop of a much-condemned peace scheme proposed by President Donald Trump of the United States emboldening Israel to usurp more Palestinian land.
- Palestinian foreign ministry slams Israeli plan to seize land near Ibrahimi Mosque in al-Khalil Press TV 04 May 2020 -- The Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates has strongly condemned the Israeli regime's plan to seize Palestinian land in the area of the Ibrahimi Mosque in the southern occupied West Bank city of al-Khalil.
- Israeli Court Hears Petitions against Netanyahu Forming Gov't While Under Indictment for Corruption Sputnik 03 May 2020 -- Benjamin Netanyahu was indicted earlier this year on charges of accepting bribes, fraud and breach of trust. Israel's longest serving prime minister has denied any wrongdoing, claiming he is the victim of a politically motivated "witch hunt".
- Israeli Court Hears Petitions Against Netanyahu VOA 03 May 2020 -- Israel's Supreme Court began hearing petitions against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu forming a government while under criminal indictments.
- Israel's COVID-19 cases rise to 16,101 as death toll hits 225 People's Daily 02 May 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 cases in Israel has risen to 16,101 after 155 new cases were added on Friday, the state's Ministry of Health said.
- Chief ICC prosecutor affirms Palestinian statehood, says court can probe Israeli crimes Press TV 02 May 2020 -- Chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court Fatou Bensouda has reiterated her position affirming the statehood of Palestine, and granting the court's jurisdiction to probe Israeli war crimes against Palestinians.
- European ambassadors warn Israel against annexing West Bank Press TV 01 May 2020 -- The ambassadors of 11 European countries have warned the Israeli regime that its planned annexation of the occupied West Bank is a "clear violation of international law" that would have "grave consequences" for the regime.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list