Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2020 - Israel Special Weapons News
- COVID-19: UN envoy hails strong Israel-Palestine cooperation UN News 28 Mar 2020 -- Nickolay Mladenov, the UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, has praised the coordination between the Israeli and Palestine authorities in reacting to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Health Min. says virus may kill 40,000 in Israel after Netanyahu brags about healthcare system Press TV 26 Mar 2020 -- Up to 40,000 people may lose their lives due to the COVID-19 disease in Israel, the regime's health ministry predicted, after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu boasted that Israelis were fully protected against the pandemic.
- Israel Restricts Movement Amid Coronavirus Spread VOA 25 Mar 2020 -- Israel has announced new, stricter limits on movement to curb the spread of the coronavirus in the country. The move comes Israel remains locked in a political impasse that has led to the parliament speaker's resignation.
- US, Israel Holding Joint Military Exercises Observing Coronavirus Rules of Social Distancing Sputnik 24 Mar 2020 -- With Israel already afflicted by 1,650 cases of COVID-19 and two deaths, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned that the country may suffer as many as 10,000 fatalities, with up to a million people expected to be infected within a month's time.
- Analysts Praise Saudi, Israeli Approaches to COVID VOA 19 Mar 2020 -- Analysts say they see some Middle Eastern countries adopting strong measures to combat COVID-19 even as it continues to spread, while others are maintaining a cloak of secrecy about the infection rates. From the closure of Muslim pilgrimages and sweeping state of emergency declarations, coronavirus has introduced unprecedented changes, upending the region's daily life.
- Israel Imposes New Restrictions on Public to Fight Coronavirus VOA 17 Mar 2020 -- Israel has issued new restrictions to fight the coronavirus, basically putting the entire country under quarantine, except for grocery shopping and medical care. Public transport is being curtailed, as well.
- Netanyahu Rival Gantz Gets First Chance at Forming a New Israeli Government VOA 15 Mar 2020 -- Israeli opposition leader Benny Gantz will be given the first opportunity to form a new government, Israel's president said Sunday.
- Israel and Iran Close Pilgrimage Sites Due to Coronavirus Pandemic - Reports Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- Earlier this month, in an unprecedented move, Saudi Arabia was forced to halt the umrah - the Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca - due to coronavirus concerns.
- Israel Says Will Track Phones of Patients Diagnosed with COVID-19 VOA 15 Mar 2020 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced a series of sharp restrictions on Israelis to combat the spread of COVID-19. The measures include an almost-total shutdown of the country except for pharmacies and supermarkets and a ban on gatherings of more than ten people. He also said he wants to use cyber-measures to track the locations of those infected.
- Israel to Use Anti-Terror Tech in Fight Against Coronavirus - Netanyahu Sputnik 14 Mar 2020 -- Israeli will use counter-terrorism technology to detect coronavirus patients and those who skip mandatory quarantine, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Saturday.
- Coronavirus Quarantines Add to Tensions in Israel, West Bank VOA 10 Mar 2020 -- Israel has imposed strict regulations for a two-week quarantine for all arriving Israelis and tourists because of the coronavirus outbreak. With the measures taking effect just before the Passover and Easter holidays, both Israelis and Palestinians are bracing for an economic hit. In the West Bank town of Bethlehem, Palestinians have declared a state of emergency and the normally bustling streets are empty.
- Israel cancels joint drill with US over coronavirus concerns Press TV 05 Mar 2020 -- Israel has canceled a major joint military drill with the United States over fears of the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- After Israel's 3rd Election, Still No Government VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- Israel's prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu is struggling to build a governing coalition even after beating challenger, former chief of staff Benny Gantz, in Monday's elections – the country's third in a year. Netanyahu – Israel's longest-serving prime minister – has fallen only three seats short of forming a government coalition.
- Israel - KC-46A Aerial Refueling Aircraft DSCA 03 Mar 2020 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Israel of up to eight (8) KC-46 aircraft and related equipment for an estimated cost of $2.4 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Scandal-hit Netanyahu claims victory in Israel Knesset election Press TV 03 Mar 2020 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has claimed victory in the general election after exit polls put his party ahead of its main rival with a narrow lead.
- Israel holds general elections as leaders use alarmist virus rumors to win Press TV 02 Mar 2020 -- People are voting in Israel's third general elections in less than a year, amid accusations that rivals are spreading fake coronavirus reports to tip the scales of the vote.
- Israel Holds Third Election in a Year VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- Voters in Israel are casting ballots Monday in the country's third election in the past 12 months.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list