Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2021 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iraq: 'Moral obligation' to ensure justice for Yazidi and other survivors of ISIL crimes UN News 30 Sep 2021 -- A new Iraqi law to support Yazidi women survivors of crimes committed by ISIL terrorists, represents "a watershed moment" in addressing the wrongs committed against them and other minority groups, the UN Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict told an event on Thursday, highlighting the need for effective reparations.
- Hundreds of Iraqi Nationals Leave al-Hol Refugee Camp in Syria VOA 30 Sep 2021 -- More than 100 Iraqi families have been released from a refugee camp that houses thousands of people, including families of Islamic State fighters, in northeastern Syria.
- Iran ready to extend gas contract with Iraq: NIGC chief Press TV 29 Sep 2021 -- The newly-appointed CEO of the National Iranian Gas Company (NIGC) says Tehran is ready to extend a natural gas export contract with neighboring Iraq despite massive arrears owed by Baghdad for previous imports.
- Iraq may buy S-300 air defense systems from Russia, senior MP says Press TV 29 Sep 2021 -- A senior Iraqi legislator says Baghdad intends to purchase Russian-built S-300 missile defense systems from Moscow to enhance capabilities of the armed forces and protect its territory against any act of aggression.
- Iraq Calls Irbil Meeting to Normalize Ties with Israel 'Illegal' VOA 25 Sep 2021 -- Top Iraqi government officials are rejecting calls by a group of 300 prominent tribal leaders and other dignitaries to normalize ties with Israel.
- Iraqi President warns against complacency in the fight against terrorism UN News 23 Sep 2021 -- International cooperation and solidarity are the only way to combat terrorism, Iraqi President Barham Salih said in his speech to the UN General Assembly on Thursday, warning against complacency.
- Iran Ups Pressure on Kurdish Rebels VOA 23 Sep 2021 -- Iran is threatening to expand a bombing campaign targeting rebels in border villages of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region, saying Iraqi Kurdish authorities must expel the rebels or the offensive will broaden.
- 3 American combat units to leave Iraq by end of September: Military official Press TV 21 Sep 2021 -- An Iraqi military official says three American combat units are expected to leave major Iraqi military bases that host the United States' forces in the Arab country, by the end of this month.
- NY Times: US deploying 2,000 soldiers to Iraq for nine months Press TV 21 Sep 2021 -- The United States is deploying around 2,000 troops to Iraq despite an announcement to end the American combat mission in the Arab country, The New York Times reports.
- Readout of President Joseph R. Biden, Jr.'s Meeting with President Barham Saleh of Iraq The White House 21 Sep 2021
- Iran's IRGC destroys 4 bases of counterrevolutionary groups in northern Iraq Press TV 20 Sep 2021 -- A senior commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps says the IRGC forces have attacked and smashed four bases belonging to counterrevolutionary groups in northern Iraq.
- Iran's oil minister appoints special envoy on Iraq Press TV 20 Sep 2021 -- Iran's Oil Minister Javad Owji has for a first time appointed a special representative for petroleum issues involving the neighboring Iraq.
- Iran Armed Forces will dismantle terror groups in Iraq's Kurdistan region if mischief continues: Top general Press TV 19 Sep 2021 -- Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri has warned about the activities of anti-Iran terrorist groups in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, emphasizing they will be fully dismantled in case they insist on their mischief.
- Readout from Gen. McKenzie's meeting with Iraq's Prime Minister, Sept. 9th, 2021 CENTCOM 13 Sep 2021 -- U.S. Central Command's Gen. Frank McKenzie met with Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi in Baghdad September 9.
- Iraqi PM Visits Tehran For Economic-Cooperation Talks RFE/RL 12 Sep 2021 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi has traveled to Tehran to become the first foreign leader to hold talks with newly installed Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi.
- US military contractor claims legal immunity in Iraq's Abu Gharib torture case Press TV 12 Sep 2021 -- A US military contractor being sued for its involvement in the brutal torture of Iraqi inmates at the country's Abu Ghraib prison during the US-led invasion of the nation has argued that recent Supreme Court cases make clear it cannot be held liable for misconduct that occurred overseas.
- Iran's IRGC pounds terrorist positions in Iraqi Kurdistan days after warning Press TV 10 Sep 2021 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has pounded the positions of terrorists in northern Iraq days after warning against anti-Iran movements, Tasnim news agency reports.
- Iran Says It Struck Terrorists in Northern Iraq Sputnik 10 Sep 2021 -- It is unclear whether Baghdad authorised the operation, but the Iranian general responsible for it said that Tehran had warned the local authorities in advance â€“ both about the terrorists' presence and the imminent strike against them.
- Commander of IRGC Ground Force warns Iraqi Kurdistan ISNA 06 Sep 2021 -- Pointing to the misuse of the northern part of Iraq by terrorist groups to create insecurity in the border areas of Iran, the Commander of IRGC Ground Force stressed that the continuation of this condition is intolerable for Iran and it will give necessary response to the terrorists.
- Daesh terrorists kill 16 Iraqi security forces in two provinces Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- The Daesh terrorist group has carried out an attack near Iraq's northern city of Kirkuk, killing 13 members of the Iraqi federal police, medical and security sources say.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list