Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2021 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Prime Minister of the Republic of Iraq visits NATO Headquarters NATO 30 Jun 2021 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg welcomed Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi of Iraq to NATO Headquarters on Wednesday (30 June 2021).
- US House Repeals 1991 Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Sputnik 29 Jun 2021 -- The US House of Representatives on Tuesday passed two bills to repeal the authorities it gave to the US president to launch, without first gaining congressional approval, the 1991 war against Iraq and to fight communism in the Middle East.
- U.S. Defends Strikes Against Iran-Backed Militias In Iraq-Syria Border Area RFE/RL 28 Jun 2021 -- The United States has defended weekend U.S. air strikes against Iran-aligned militias near the Iraqi-Syrian border as both Baghdad and Damascus condemned the unilateral attacks as violations of their sovereignty.
- White House: Biden Ordered Airstrikes on Iran-Backed Militia to 'Limit Escalation' Sputnik 28 Jun 2021 -- US President Joe Biden ordered US airstrikes against Iran-backed militia forces in Iraq and Syria in order to limit escalation, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said on Monday.
- Iraqi Shia Militia Say No Ammunition Depots Located in Areas Targeted by US Airstrikes Sputnik 28 Jun 2021 -- Iraq's Shiite-dominated Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF) denied on Monday any presence of arms depots at the positions struck by the US Air Force on the country's border with Syria.
- Iraq Condemns US Airstrike on Border With Syria, Pledges to Investigate, Official Says Sputnik 28 Jun 2021 -- Iraq denounces the latest US airstrike against Shia militia on the Iraqi-Syrian border and will investigate the attack, Yehia Rasool, the spokesman for the Iraqi commander-in-chief, said on Monday.
- Joint Statement on the Ministerial Meeting on Syria US Dept. of State 28 Jun 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States, Italy, Canada, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Iraq, Ireland, Japan, Jordan, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and representatives of the League of Arab States and European Union, which met today to discuss the crisis in Syria.
- Statement by the Department of Defense DoD 27 Jun 2021 -- "At President Biden's direction, U.S. military forces earlier this evening conducted defensive precision airstrikes against facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups in the Iraq-Syria border region."
- U.S. Strikes Iran-Backed Militias In Iraq-Syria Border Area RFE/RL 27 Jun 2021 -- The U.S. military carried out air strikes against Iran-backed militias in the Iraq-Syria border area, in retaliation for drone attacks by the groups against U.S. personnel and facilities in Iraq.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 25 Jun 2021 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Turkish Operation Increases Conflict Among Kurds in Iraq VOA 21 Jun 2021 -- In recent weeks, Turkey has intensified its military operation against the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) bases in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, leading to skirmishes and increased tensions between two significant armed Kurdish groups in the mountainous enclave.
- Rocket targets Iraqi base hosting occupying US troops: Security source Press TV 20 Jun 2021 -- A rocket attack has reportedly hit an air base hosting the occupying US troops in Iraq's western province of Anbar, the latest in a series of assaults that have targeted American occupation forces in the Arab country over the past few months.
- US House Votes to End 2002 Iraq War Authorization VOA 17 Jun 2021 -- The U.S. House of Representatives approved a bill Thursday that would repeal the authorization of use of military force in Iraq that has been in effect since 2002.
- US House Repeals 2002 Authorization for Use of Military Force in Iraq Sputnik 17 Jun 2021 -- When US President Joe Biden ordered an airstrike against a depot in Syria allegedly used by Iraqi militias in February, he claimed the action was ordered in self-defense, not under a War on Terror-era law, as has been used for similar past airstrikes.
- Iraqi resistance group: Military option to remain on table until US forces leave country Press TV 15 Jun 2021 -- The leader of a prominent Iraqi resistance group says the military option against the occupying US forces stationed in Iraq will remain on the table as long as they stay in the Arab country.
- President: Iraq defeated Daesh thanks to army, Hashd al-Sha'abi Press TV 14 Jun 2021 -- Iraq's President Barham Salih says unity between the army, the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), also known as Hashd al-Sha'abi, and Kurdish Peshmerga forces have enabled the country to defeat the Daesh terrorist group.
- 4 killed as Turkey intensifies attacks on 'PKK targets' in Iraqi Kurdistan Press TV 14 Jun 2021 -- Various areas across the northern Iraqi Kurdistan region have witnessed an escalation in Turkey's ongoing strikes against alleged targets belonging to the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) terrorist group.
- Iraq's Kata'ib Hezbollah: US forces must leave, or we take them by surprise Press TV 13 Jun 2021 -- Iraq's anti-terror group Kata'ib Hezbollah has warned that its forces will take American troops stationed in the Arab country by surprise, if they refuse to leave despite the parliament's decision to expel them from Iraq.
- Israeli Atomic Expert Says Mossad Blew Up Iraqi Nuke Power Station Parts in France in 1979 Sputnik 13 Jun 2021 -- A new memoir reveals how Israel, with US backing, tried unsuccessfully for years to stop France and other countries from helping Iraq develop its own nuclear power industry â€” first through diplomacy, then spying and intimidation, then finally sabotage attacks on French soil.
- Bases housing US forces hit by rockets in Iraq's Salahuddin, Baghdad Press TV 10 Jun 2021 -- Military bases housing American forces come under back-to-back rocket attacks in the north-central Iraqi province of Salahuddin and the vicinity of the Baghdad International Airport.
- Commander of anti-terror Hashd al-Sha'abi forces in Iraq's Anbar released after charges dropped Press TV 09 Jun 2021 -- Iraqi authorities have released a high-ranking commander of anti-terror Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) after charges of involvement in a series of attacks on US military forces and installations against him were dropped.
- Three Drones Attacked US State Department Facility Near Baghdad Airport, Officials Say Sputnik 09 Jun 2021 -- Several drones attacked a US facility near Baghdad International Airport early on Thursday morning, according to local security officials, who said the same group attacked another base 40 miles north of Baghdad just hours earlier.
- Erdogan: Turkey 'Neutralizes' High-Ranking PKK Member in Iraq Sputnik 06 Jun 2021 -- Turkish intelligence announced on Sunday that it had "neutralized" Selman Bozkir, a high-ranking member of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), designated a terrorist group by Ankara, according to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Drones target Ain al-Asad military base housing US forces in western Iraq Press TV 06 Jun 2021 -- Unmanned aerial vehicles have reportedly struck a major airbase in Iraq's western province of Anbar, where American military forces and trainers are stationed.
- More than 60 percent of American troops left Iraq: PM Kadhimi Press TV 04 Jun 2021 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi says Baghdad has over the past months managed to expel more than 60 percent of American occupation forces amid unwavering calls for the pullout of foreign troops from the country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list