Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2021 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Rule of Law in Iraq US Dept. of State 27 May 2021 -- The United States is outraged that peaceful demonstrators who took to the streets to urge reform were met with threats and brutal violence.
- Four more US logistics convoys targeted by roadside bombs in Iraq Press TV 23 May 2021 -- Four logistics convoys belonging to the US-led coalition in Iraq have been targeted in separate roadside bomb attacks in the country's south and center, according to local media sources.
- CENTCOM commander reiterates fear of small drones in secret Iraq visit Press TV 22 May 2021 -- The top US commander for its Middle East military operations has once again expressed concerns about the need to find ways to counter drones targeting American forces in the region, reiterating during a secret visit to Iraq that the US is yet to come up with effective solutions.
- Iraq Reports 2,058 New Covid-19 Infections SPA 15 May 2021 -- Iraq reported 2,058 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), in the last 24-hour, posting a remarkable decrease in the daily infection numbers.
- Iraq: New UN report shines light on 'deeply worrying' pattern of restrictions in Kurdistan UN News 12 May 2021 -- Over the past year, freedom of expression in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq has been increasingly curtailed, according to a UN report issued on Wednesday.
- Iraq Records 5,287 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 11 May 2021 -- Iraq recorded 5,287 new cases of the novel Coronavirus in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 1,122,914.
- U.S. military experts withdraw from air base in Iraq: sources People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- U.S. experts and advisers for F-16 fighter jets withdrew from Balad Air Base after a series of rocket attacks targeted the air base in Iraq's Salahudin province, Iraqi sources said on Monday.
- Roadside bomb hits US logistics convoy in western Iraq Press TV 11 May 2021 -- A roadside bomb attack has struck a convoy carrying logistical equipment belonging to the US military in Iraq's western province of al-Anbar.
- US military contractor announces exit from Iraq amid growing attacks Press TV 11 May 2021 -- The US security and aerospace firm Lockheed Martin has withdrawn its staff from a military base in Iraq where it had been maintaining the Iraqi F-16 fighter jets, citing security concerns.
- Credible elections can help propel Iraq towards 'safe and prosperous future' UN News 11 May 2021 -- A trusted electoral process with "free and wide-ranging participation" can steer Iraq towards a "safe and prosperous future", the country's UN envoy told the Security Council on Tuesday.
- Islamic State Increases Attacks on Iraqi and Kurdish Forces VOA 11 May 2021 -- The Islamic State terror group has increased its attacks on Iraqi and Kurdish security forces, killing nearly two dozen people in the last month, according to Iraqi officials.
- A pivotal year for Iraq and potential for a step towards increased stability UK FCDO 11 May 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Jonathan Allen at the Security Council briefing on UNAMI
- IS committed genocide against Yazidis in Iraq -- UN investigative team People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- Karim Khan, head of a UN team investigating Islamic State (IS) crimes in Iraq, said Monday that there is "clear and convincing evidence" that the terrorist group committed genocide against the Yazidi people.
- UN says Daesh committed genocide against Iraq's Shias, Izadis Press TV 11 May 2021 -- A UN team investigating Daesh atrocities in Iraq says it has established evidence that the crimes committed by the terrorist group against Izadis and Shia Muslims amounted to "genocide".
- ISIL crimes against Yazidis constitute genocide, UN investigation team finds UN News 10 May 2021 -- A UN team investigating ISIL atrocities in Iraq has established "clear and convincing evidence" of genocide against the Yazidi religious minority, the Security Council heard on Monday.
- Tehran Protests To Iraq Over Assault On Its Consulate In Karbala RFE/RL 10 May 2021 -- Tehran says it "strongly condemns" a weekend attack on the Iranian Consulate in the southern Iraqi city of Karbala following the killing of a prominent activist.
- UN Team Says Islamic State Committed Genocide Against Yazidis VOA 10 May 2021 -- The Islamic State terrorist group committed genocide against the Yazidi people in Iraq, a U.N. team said Monday.
- Iraq Records 4,167 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 09 May 2021 -- Iraq recorded 4,167 new cases of the novel Coronavirus in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 1,112,725.
- Drone Attack Damages Hangar at US-Coalition Air Base in Iraq VOA 08 May 2021 -- At least one armed drone was shot down after attacking the Ain al-Asad Airbase in Iraq's Anbar province early Saturday morning, but inflicting no casualties to U.S.-led Coalition forces stationed at the base. There have been at least half-a-dozen attacks on U.S.-led coalition targets in recent weeks.
- Hangar damaged in drone strike on US airbase in Iraq's Ain al-Asad Press TV 08 May 2021 -- An air base in Iraq's western province of Anbar housing American troops has come under attack, damaging a hangar for military aircraft.
- IS blows up 2 oil wells, kills 2 security members in northern Iraq People's Daily 06 May 2021 -- The militants of the extremist Islamic State (IS) group on Wednesday attacked an oil field in Iraq's Kirkuk Province, killing two security members and blowing up two oil wells, a government statement and provincial security source said.
- A Letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Stabilization of Iraq The White House 06 May 2021
- Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Stabilization of Iraq The White House 06 May 2021
- Daesh terrorists attack two oil wells in northern Iraq Press TV 05 May 2021 -- Takfiri Daesh militants have carried out bomb attacks on two oil wells at an oil field close to Iraq's northern city of Kirkuk, causing fires in the area.
- Iraqi President Confirms Several Rounds Of Iran-Saudi Talks RFE/RL 05 May 2021 -- Iraqi President Barham Salih says his country has hosted multiple rounds of talks between Saudi and Iranian officials, confirming reports of diplomacy to defuse tensions between the Middle Eastern rivals.
- Iraq Records 6143 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 04 May 2021 -- Iraq recorded 6,143 new cases of the novel Coronavirus in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 1,086,141.
- US-run Ain al-Assad Airbase in Iraq comes under rocket attack Press TV 04 May 2021 -- A rocket attack has hit the Ain al-Assad Airbase hosting US troops in the western Iraqi province of al-Anbar, the third such incident to target the American interests in the Arab country in as many days.
- F-35B jets to join the fight against Daesh from the Carrier Strike Group UK MOD 03 May 2021 -- UK F-35B fighter jets operating from HMS Queen Elizabeth will join Operation Shader in the fight against Daesh.
- RAF's 'Dambusters' squadron set to begin Iraq and Syria bombing mission Press TV 03 May 2021 -- The Royal Air Force (RAF) is set to deploy its 617 squadron â€“ known as the "Dambusters" â€“ allegedly against Daesh targets in Iraq and Syria.
- Iraq's Balad Air Base Comes Under Rocket Attack, US-Led Coalition Says Sputnik 03 May 2021 -- The Balad Air Base in Iraq has been targeted by a rocket attack on Monday, a spokesperson for the US-led coalition told Sputnik on Monday.
- Several rockets target Iraqi air base housing occupying US forces, warplanes Press TV 03 May 2021 -- At least six rockets have targeted an Iraqi air base hosting the occupying US soldiers and warplanes following a string of similar attacks on the base during past months.
- Following Deadly Attack, Iraqi Kurds Call for Better Coordination in Countering IS VOA 03 May 2021 -- Iraqi Kurdish officials blamed the lack of proper coordination between the country's federal and regional security forces for a major Islamic State (IS) attack over the weekend that left three Kurdish military officers dead and two wounded.
- Baghdad summons Turkish envoy over Ankara's ongoing violations in northern Iraq Press TV 03 May 2021 -- Iraqi Foreign Ministry has summoned Turkish chargĂ© d'affairs in Baghdad to submit a letter of protest over Ankara's ongoing violations in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, including the presence of the Turkish defense minister in the area without prior coordination.
- Iran to pay for COVID-19 vaccine from its funds in Iraq IRNA 02 May 2021 -- Iran's Energy Minister Reza Ardakanian said on Sunday that the country would pay for the Russian coronavirus vaccine from funds in Iraq.
- Iraq Detects 5167 New Coronavirus Infections SPA 01 May 2021 -- Iraq detected in the last 24 hours 5167 new Coronavirus infections, raising the tally to 1,070,366 cases.
- Group warns over 'expansionist' Turkish plan to build base in Iraq Press TV 01 May 2021 -- An Iraqi parliamentary faction has expressed opposition to a plan by Turkey to build a military base in the northern part of the Arab country, calling the move "provocative" and a "violation of Iraqi sovereignty."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list