Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2021 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Turkey plans to build base in northern Iraq as it did in Syria: Report Press TV 30 Apr 2021 -- Turkey reportedly plans to build a new military base in Iraq's northern border areas, where the Turkish military has been engaged in an operation against Kurdish militants, despite harsh criticism from the Baghdad government.
- Iraqi resistance group stages drone attack on base housing US warplanes Press TV 24 Apr 2021 -- An Iraqi resistance group has staged a drone attack on an airbase housing US forces and warplanes north of the capital Baghdad.
- Iraq Records 6,858 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 28 Apr 2021 -- Iraq recorded 6,858 new cases of the novel Coronavirus in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 1,051,868.
- Iraqi resistance group stages drone attack on base housing US warplanes Press TV 28 Apr 2021 -- An Iraqi resistance group has staged a drone attack on an airbase housing US forces and warplanes north of the capital Baghdad.
- Iraq Records 7,152 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 27 Apr 2021 -- Iraq recorded 7,152 new cases of the novel Coronavirus in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 1,045,010.
- Iraqi Kurds Fear Escalation of Iran-Backed Rocket Attacks VOA 27 Apr 2021 -- Iraqi Kurds, who played a key role in the fighting against the Islamic State terror group, are now concerned about a new threat: Iranian-backed Shiite militias.
- Turkish forces seize northern Iraq village as they continue anti-PKK operations Press TV 26 Apr 2021 -- Turkish military forces have reportedly established control over a village in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region as they are pressing ahead with a military campaign in the area against members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group.
- Withdrawal of U.S. troops to follow timetable decided by U.S.-Iraqi dialogue: military spokesman People's Daily 25 Apr 2021 -- The full withdrawal of the U.S.-led coalition forces from Iraq will follow a timetable that will be decided by the ongoing U.S.-Iraqi dialogue, the state-sun Iraqi News Agency (INA) reported Saturday, citing a spokesman of the Iraqi military.
- US deploys weapon system at key base in Iraq after rocket attack Press TV 23 Apr 2021 -- The US military has reportedly deployed a C-RAM weapon system at a key base near Baghdad International Airport, hours after a number of rockets targeted the facility.
- Secretary Blinken's call with KRG Prime Minister Barzani US Dept. of State 23 Apr 2021
- New rocket attack targets Iraqi air base housing occupying US forces Press TV 18 Apr 2021 -- At least five rockets have targeted an Iraqi air base hosting the occupying US soldiers and warplanes following a string of similar attacks on the base during past months.
- Iraqi Base Hosting US Contractors Hit by at Least Five Katyusha Rockets Sputnik 18 Apr 2021 -- The base, situated north of the capital Baghdad, has repeatedly come under rocket attacks. In February, a similar incident injured two people.
- Joint Statement on the Attacks in Iraqi Kurdistan Region US Dept. of State 16 Apr 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the governments of France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States of America following the April 14 attack in the Iraqi Kurdistan Region:
- Iraq Investigates Irbil Drone Attack, Gets Support from US, Europe VOA 16 Apr 2021 -- France, Germany, Italy, Britain and the U.S. vowed Friday to support the Iraqi government's investigation into a drone attack at Irbil airport Wednesday.
- Several civilian killed, 21 others injured in car bomb explosion in Iraq's Baghdad Press TV 15 Apr 2021 -- At least five civilians have lost their lives and nearly two dozen others sustained injuries when a powerful explosion ripped through a crowded area in the eastern flank of the Iraqi capital city of Baghdad.
- Officials: At Least One Dead, Multiple Injuries in Baghdad Bombing VOA 15 Apr 2021 -- Iraq military officials say a powerful explosion rocked a market in Baghdad's Sadr City district Thursday, killing at least one person and injuring at least 12 others.
- Kurdish Officials Demand Help With Looming COVID 'Catastrophe' in NE Syria VOA 14 Apr 2021 -- Kurdish officials in northeast Syria are expressing concerns over a sharp increase in coronavirus cases in their region, calling on international health organizations to intervene to prevent a "humanitarian catastrophe."
- Iraqi group claims responsibility for attacking Mossad center in Erbil Press TV 14 Apr 2021 -- An Iraqi group has claimed responsibility for an attack on a facility serving Israel's spy agency Mossad in the northern Iraqi Kurdistan Region's capital Erbil.
- 'Attack' targets US airbase in Iraqi Kurdistan: Reports Press TV 14 Apr 2021 -- The United States' airbase in the northern Iraqi Kurdistan region's capital Erbil has come under an "attack."
- Withdrawal of US forces from Iraq will promote regional security: Iran defense chief Press TV 13 Apr 2021 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami says the pullout of American troops from Iraq under a law adopted by the parliament of the Arab country will contribute to the establishment of peace and security of Iraq and the whole region.
- Iraqi Kurdistan Region President Says Expects Further Engagement With US Against Daesh Sputnik 13 Apr 2021 -- Iraqi Kurdistan Region President Nechirvan Barzani expressed hope that the Biden administration will continue its engagement in combating Daesh*.
- Iraq Records 7,953 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 12 Apr 2021 -- Iraq recorded 7,953 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus during the past 24 hours, which brought the total number of cases to 93,2899.
- Iraq receives 2nd batch of donated COVID-19 vaccines from China People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- Iraq on Sunday received the second batch of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines donated by the Chinese government to help the country combat the pandemic.
- Rapid expulsion of US forces boosts stability in Iraq: Iran's top security official Press TV 12 Apr 2021 -- The secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) says speeding up the expulsion of American forces from Iraq will help boost stability in the country.
- Iraqi Kurds Say Major IS Attack on Capital Was Foiled VOA 12 Apr 2021 -- Iraqi Kurdish officials announced Monday that their counterterrorism unit arrested five Islamic State (IS) suspects who had penetrated the autonomous Kurdistan Region from war-torn Syria to carry out explosions and assassinations in the region's capital, Irbil.
- RAF clears Daesh stronghold in Iraq in support of an Iraqi Security Force operation UK MOD 08 Apr 2021 -- A Daesh stronghold in northern Iraq has been cleared as part of Operation Shader, the Ministry of Defence has announced today. The RAF has carried out a series of air strikes working in support of the Iraqi Security Forces ground operations. Operation Shader remains essential to dismantling Daesh's networks and reducing the terrorist group's global ambitions.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 08 Apr 2021 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Iraqi Adviser Says Over Half of US Personnel Already Left, No Combat Units Remain Sputnik 08 Apr 2021 -- Some 2,700 military advisers out of 5,200 have left Iraq amid the ongoing US pullout, and any foreign troops remaining in the Middle Eastern state are there to advise Iraqi troops and not conduct any fighting, Hussein Allawi, adviser for security sector reform to the Iraqi Prime Minister's Office, told Sputnik on Thursday.
- U.S., Iraq agree to redeploy U.S.-led coalition forces outside Iraq People's Daily 08 Apr 2021 -- The United States and Iraq agreed on Wednesday to redeploy the remaining U.S.-led coalition combat troops outside Iraq in light of the increasing capacity of the Iraqi security forces in fighting against the extremist Islamic State (IS) group, said a joint statement on the U.S.-Iraq Strategic Dialogue.
- Existence of US bases violation of Iraq's sovereignty, says Asa'ib leader Press TV 08 Apr 2021 -- A faction of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), also known as Hashd al-Sha'abi, has rejected as offensive the presence of foreign forces in Iraq with the professed aim of "protecting" the Arab country, calling the existence of US bases in Iraq a violation of the country's sovereignty.
- Hopes, But No Firm Dates, for US Withdrawal From Iraq VOA 07 Apr 2021 -- Improved performance by Iraqi military forces is allowing the United States and Iraq to look ahead to the day when U.S. forces will no longer be needed to help Baghdad stave off the threat from the Islamic State terror group and its remnants.
- US, Iraq 'agree on American combat troops withdrawal' Press TV 07 Apr 2021 -- The United States and Iraq announce in a joint statement that they have agreed on the withdrawal of "all" American combat troops from the Arab country's soil, with Washington attributing the prospect to sufficiency of the Iraqi military's combat capability.
- Joint Statement on the U.S.-Iraq Strategic Dialogue US Dept. of State 07 Apr 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America and the Republic of Iraq.
- Iraq Records 7,300 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 06 Apr 2021 -- Iraq recorded 7,300 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus during the past 24 hours, which brought the total number of lab-confirmed infections to 887,291.
- Iran extends traffic restriction to Iraq for COVID-19 IRNA 06 Apr 2021 -- Iran's Deputy Interior Minister for Security Affairs Hossein Zolfaghari on Tuesday said that the traffic restriction to the neighboring state Iraq was extended for two weeks.
- Turkish warplanes launch new air raids on Iraqi Kurdistan Press TV 06 Apr 2021 -- Turkish F-16 fighter jets have conducted new airstrikes on Duhok Province in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, defying Baghdad's numerous protests at such violations of the Arab country's sovereignty.
- UK set to continue support for Iraqi Kurdish region Press TV 06 Apr 2021 -- James Cleverly, the Minister of State for Middle East and North Africa, has stressed the UK's firm support for the Kurds and specifically the Kurdish region in the North of Iraq through a statement on Monday (April 05).
- Roadside bomb attacks hit US logistics convoys in central Iraq, Baghdad Press TV 05 Apr 2021 -- Three separate roadside bomb attacks have struck convoys of trucks carrying logistical equipment belonging to US military forces in Iraq's central provinces of al-Qadisiyah and Babil as well as the capital city of Baghdad.
- Iraq Reports 5,368 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 04 Apr 2021 -- Iraq reported 5,368 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) during the past 24- hours, bringing the total number of the lab-confirmed infections to 873,568.
- Two rockets target US-occupied Iraqi air base near Baghdad Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- At least two rockets have targeted an Iraqi air base occupied by American troops near the capital Baghdad.
- Iraqi groups reject talks with US, vow to step up resistance until full withdrawal Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- A prominent Iraqi anti-terror group has reacted to the upcoming round of so-called strategic talks between Baghdad and Washington, whose key agenda item is reportedly the US combat deployment, emphasizing that armed resistance and operations against American occupation forces will continue until they are fully removed from the Arab country.
- Iraq reports 6,015 new COVID-19 cases, 856,939 in total People's Daily 02 Apr 2021 -- The Iraqi Ministry of Health reported on Thursday 6,015 new coronavirus cases, raising the total nationwide infections to 856,939.
- Iraq reports highest 6,664 daily COVID-19 cases, 850,924 in total People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The Iraqi Ministry of Health reported on Wednesday 6,664 new coronavirus cases, the highest daily increase since the outbreak of the pandemic, raising the total nationwide infections to 850,924.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list