Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2021 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iraqi warplanes, Hashd al-Sha'abi fighters take on Daesh remnants in Diyala Press TV 28 Feb 2021 -- Iraqi warplanes and fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), also known as Hashd al-Sha'abi, have embarked on sweeping operations to clear the western border province of Diyala of remnants of the Takfiri terrorist group of Daesh.
- Iran summons Turkey's ambassador over 'unacceptable' PKK claim Press TV 28 Feb 2021 -- Iran has summoned Turkey's Ambassador Derya Ors to protest the Turkish interior minister's "unacceptable" claim about the presence of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group's members in the Islamic Republic.
- Ankara Reportedly Summons Iranian Envoy After Tehran's Criticism of Turkish Operation in Iraq Sputnik 28 Feb 2021 -- The Turkish Foreign Ministry on Sunday summoned the Iranian ambassador in Ankara, Mohammad Farazmand, after Tehran condemned Turkey's military operation in northern Iraq, the Anadolu news agency reported, citing diplomatic sources.
- Turkey Summons Iranian Envoy To Protest Iraq Dispute RFE/RL 28 Feb 2021 -- Turkey has summoned Iran's envoy to Ankara to demand support in the fight against "terrorism," escalating a dispute over Turkey's presence in Iraq.
- Iran's ceaseless efforts to get its frozen assets IRNA 28 Feb 2021 -- A new chapter has been opened for Iran to pave the way for liberating its frozen assets following consultations have been made to urge South Korea, Japan, Iraq and Oman to unlock Iranian money.
- Islamic State Exploiting Security Gaps to Step Up Violence, US Partners Warn VOA 26 Feb 2021 -- The Islamic State terror group appears to be exploiting security gaps across Syria and Iraq to reposition its forces and help fuel an increase in violence that is reenergizing fighters and supporters.
- Iraq's Defence Ministry Denies Exchanging Intelligence With US Before Syria Airstrike Sputnik 26 Feb 2021 -- The Iraqi Ministry of Defence denied on Friday having provided intelligence to the United States before its airstrike in eastern Syria, as it was claimed by US Secretary of Defence Lloyd Austin.
- Two roadside bombs hit US-led coalition convoys in Baghdad, central Iraq Press TV 25 Feb 2021 -- Two roadside bombs have separately struck two convoys of trucks carrying logistical equipment belonging to the US-led coalition forces in the Iraqi capital city of Baghdad as well as the central province of Babil.
- Coalition Forces meet with Peshmerga and ISF at JCCC CENTCOM 24 Feb 2021 -- Coalition Forces meet with Peshmerga and ISF at JCCC ERBIL, Iraq- A military delegation from the Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, the 83 member International Coalition to defeat Daesh (ISIS), visited the Joint Coalition Coordination Center between the Kurdistan Region's military and security forces and Iraq in Erbil, February 17, 2021.
- Iraq sees new daily record in COVID-19 infections; Oman to ban entry of travelers from 10 countries People's Daily 24 Feb 2021 -- Iraq sets a yearly new record in daily COVID-19 infections on Tuesday with 4,181 new confirmed cases. Meanwhile, Oman decided to ban travelers from 10 countries to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Iraqi Government Examines In-Country Missile Attacks on U.S. Bases DoD News 23 Feb 2021 -- The Iraqi government is investigating three attacks on U.S. bases in the country and is doing a careful and complete job, Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby said.
- Readout of President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Call With Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi of Iraq The White House 23 Feb 2021
- Ensuring the delivery of timely and inclusive elections in Somalia UK FCDO 22 Feb 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on Somalia
- U.S. Says It Won't 'Lash Out' After Blaming Iran For Rocket Attack On U.S. Embassy In Baghdad RFE/RL 22 Feb 2021 -- A State Department spokesman has said the United States will hold Iran "responsible" for a rocket barrage on February 22 that targeted the U.S. Embassy in the Iraqi capital.
- Drones, helicopter gunships swarm skies as US sets up new base in Iraq Press TV 22 Feb 2021 -- Swarms of helicopter gunships and drones are flying over al-Anbar as the US is setting up its second military base in western Iraq near the Syrian border, a report says.
- Rockets land near US embassy in Baghdad's high-security Green Zone; no casualties Press TV 22 Feb 2021 -- At least two rockets have landed near the US embassy in the heavily fortified Green Zone in central Baghdad, which houses foreign embassies and some of the main Iraqi government institutions.
- US 'Outraged' After Rocket Salvo Slams Baghdad VOA 22 Feb 2021 -- U.S. officials expressed outrage Monday after a trio of rockets slammed into Baghdad, two of them landing in the city's fortified Green Zone.
- Iran, Iraq border to be closed: Minister IRNA 20 Feb 2021 -- Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli on Saturday said that the border of Iran and Iraq will be closed.
- US base in northern Iraq targeted with several rockets: Reports Press TV 20 Feb 2021 -- Several rockets have hit a US military base in Iraq's northern province of Salahuddin.
- Iraqi officials, scholars protest NATO plan to increase troops in Iraq eightfold Press TV 20 Feb 2021 -- Iraqi officials and religious scholars have lambasted NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg's latest remarks that the US-led military alliance plans to significantly increase its forces in the Arab country, describing the measure as unacceptable and unjustified.
- NATO to increase troops in Iraq in declared bid to 'fight terrorism' Press TV 19 Feb 2021 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says the number of NATO troops in Iraq would increase eightfold, claiming that the move is intended to fight terrorism and ensure that the Daesh terrorist group does not return.
- UK renews commitment to NATO missions UK MOD 18 Feb 2021 -- The UK will expand its contribution to NATO Mission Iraq, following the Alliance's decision to scale up the crucial mission at this week's NATO Defence Ministerial.
- NATO Defense Leaders Agree to Increase Iraqi Mission, Defer Decision on Afghanistan DoD News 18 Feb 2021 -- Alliance defense ministers have agreed to raise the number of troops for the NATO Mission in Iraq from 500 to 4,000, Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said during a virtual news conference today.
- Iraqi guard wounded in bomb attack targeting US-led coalition convoy Press TV 18 Feb 2021 -- An Iraqi security guard has sustained injuries after a roadside bomb exploded near a convoy of trucks carrying logistics belonging to the US-led coalition in Iraq's central province of al-Qadisiyah.
- NATO to Increase Troops in Iraq From 500 to 4,000 Amid Daesh Resurgence, Stoltenberg Says Sputnik 18 Feb 2021 -- In January 2020, the Iraqi Parliament voted to demand that US forces leave the country. Instead, Washington threatened to freeze the country's bank account at the US Federal Reserve, where billions of dollars in oil wealth are stored.
- Joint statement: Rocket attacks in Erbil on 15 February 2021 UK FCDO 17 Feb 2021 -- The following statement was released by the US, France, Germany, Italy and the UK following the February 15 attack in the Iraqi Kurdistan Region.
- Turkey to Expand Anti-PKK Operations in Northern Iraq, Erdogan Says Sputnik 16 Feb 2021 -- Turkey will expand operations against Kurdish militants in northern Iraq and will keep its troops on the ground as long as it sees fit, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Tuesday.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Call with Iraqi Minister of Defense Jumaah Saadoon DoD 16 Feb 2021
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Iraqi Prime Minister al-Kadhimi US Dept. of State 16 Feb 2021
- Biden Administration Seeks Stable Iraq, Free of Islamic State VOA 16 Feb 2021 -- The Biden administration laid out its priorities in Iraq on Tuesday, saying it wants a strategic partnership with a stable and democratic country, while preventing a resurgence of the Islamic State terror group there.
- Delivering free and fair elections, combatting terrorism and building back better in Iraq UK FCDO 16 Feb 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on UNAMI
- Transparency must rule Iraqi elections, 'loyalties cannot be for sale', Security Council hears UN News 16 Feb 2021 -- A deadly rocket attack on Monday night in Erbil drew condemnation from the UN envoy in Iraq, who told the Security Council on Tuesday that "such reckless attempts to inflame tensions pose grave threats" to the country's security.
- Rocket Attack in Iraq Kills Coalition Contractor VOA 16 Feb 2021 -- A rocket attack in northern Iraq late Monday killed a contractor for the U.S.-led coalition and injured at least six other people, according to coalition and Iraqi officials.
- Iran Denies Role in Rocket Attack on US Forces in Iraq's Erbil Sputnik 16 Feb 2021 -- Iran denies accusations by several Iraqi officials that it played a role in the recent rocket strike at US forces in northern Iraq, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said Tuesday.
- Erdogan Accuses US of Siding with Terrorists After Turks Found Dead in Iraq VOA 15 Feb 2021 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused fellow NATO ally the United States of supporting terrorists in the wake of the deaths of 13 kidnapped Turks in northern Iraq. He also said a U.S. statement about the killings, which Ankara blamed on Kurdish militants, was a joke.
- US Condemns Killings of Turkish Citizens in Northern Iraq VOA 15 Feb 2021 -- The United States has condemned the killing of 13 Turkish citizens by Kurdish militants in northern Iraq.
- Rocket attack in Erbil kills one, injures US trooper among others Press TV 15 Feb 2021 -- At least three rockets have landed in the city of Erbil in the Iraqi Kurdistan, killing a civilian contractor and wounding several others including an American service member, according to a US-led coalition spokesman.
- Roadside bomb hits US-led coalition trucks south of Iraq's Baghdad, officer injured Press TV 15 Feb 2021 -- A roadside bomb has exploded near a convoy of trucks carrying logistics and military equipment belonging to the US-led military coalition purportedly formed to fight the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group south of the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.
- Rocket Attacks in Erbil US Dept. of State 15 Feb 2021 -- "We are outraged by today's rocket attack in the Iraqi Kurdistan Region. Initial reports indicate that the attacks killed one civilian contractor and injured several members of the Coalition, including one American service member and several American contractors."
- US hasn't done enough to 'limit' civilian deaths in Syria, Iraq: Report Press TV 14 Feb 2021 -- A report by a US government-funded organization warns that the country should take action to "limit" the civilian death toll from its overseas operations, citing grim figures from Washington's 2014-present military operations in Iraq and Syria.
- President Erdogan says US supporting terrorists who 'kill' Turkish citizens Press TV 15 Feb 2021 -- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the United States is supporting "terrorists" who, according to Ankara, have just recently killed more than a dozen Turkish forces in northern Iraq.
- Turkey blasts West's 'double standard' on terrorism Press TV 15 Feb 2021 -- Turkey's foreign minister says the West continues to maintain a "selective" approach towards terrorism after the US and the Europeans issued either a lukewarm reaction or kept mum on recent killings by anti-Turkey terrorists.
- Iraq's popular groups warn Turkey against new incursion Press TV 14 Feb 2021 -- An Iraqi politician says the Turkish army appears to be preparing for an incursion into Sinjar Mountains in northern Iraq near the Syrian border.
- SDF militants 'hand over' to Iraq 100 suspected Daesh terrorists captured in Syria Press TV 14 Feb 2021 -- A group of Kurdish forces in northern Syria has handed over 100 captured terrorists from Daesh to Iraqi security officials this week, a source says.
- Three Turkish soldiers killed in northern Iraq Press TV 11 Feb 2021 -- At least three Turkish soldiers have been killed during a new offensive against the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in northern Iraq, Turkey's Defense Ministry says.
- Roadside bomb hits US-led coalition convoy south of Iraq's capital Press TV 11 Feb 2021 -- A roadside bomb explosion has hit a convoy of trucks carrying equipment belonging to the US-led military coalition south of the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.
- Local Officials Say Iraq's Kakais, Fearing IS, Are Fleeing Their Villages VOA 10 Feb 2021 -- What stood out about a seminar recently held in this northern Iraqi village was that it was largely attended by men wearing noticeably large mustaches.
- Iraq's Sadr calls for withdrawal of US forces, warns against normalizing ties with Israel Press TV 10 Feb 2021 -- Iraq's Shia cleric Muqtada Sadr has called for an immediate withdrawal of US forces, warning against normalizing ties with Israel.
- US convoy carrying logistic supplies targeted in Iraq's Babil Press TV 07 Feb 2021 -- A military convoy carrying logistic supplies for American forces has been targeted in Babil province, central Iraq.
- Kurds Warn of Growing Islamic State Capabilities in Iraq VOA 07 Feb 2021 -- The recent killing of Islamic State's top leader in Iraq should not be seen as a crippling sign for the terror group, which has in recent months received fresh recruits and increased its attacks in the country, says a senior Iraqi Kurdish military official.
- Iraq Records 1660 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 06 Feb 2021 -- Iraq recorded, during the past 24 hours, 1660 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), which brought the total number of infections to 627,416.
- China donates COVID-19 vaccines to Iraq; Iran, Palestine receive 1st batch of Russian COVID-19 vaccines People's Daily 05 Feb 2021 -- China has donated 50,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine to Iraq, the Chinese embassy in Baghdad said on Thursday. Meanwhile, both Iran and Palestine received the first batch of Russia's Sputnik V vaccine.
- US developing military base in northern Iraq despite parliament's call for troops pull-out: Report Press TV 04 Feb 2021 -- The US military is reportedly expanding its base in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, despite a resolution adopted by the Iraqi parliament on the expulsion of US-led foreign forces from the Arab country.
- Roadside bombs hit US-led coalition convoys in central, southern Iraq: Report Press TV 04 Feb 2021 -- Roadside bombs have reportedly struck two separate convoys of trucks carrying logistical equipment belonging to the US-led coalition in Iraq's central province of Babil and the southern province of Basra.
- Iraq's daily COVID-19 cases hit year's new record; Israel to gradually lift lockdown restrictions next week People's Daily 03 Feb 2021 -- Iraq set a new record of daily COVID-19 cases in 2021 with 1,135 infections confirmed on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Israel said it will start gradually lifting the lockdown restrictions next week.
- Iraq, US-led Coalition Ramp Up Pressure on IS VOA 03 Feb 2021 -- Iraq and its Western allies appear to be accelerating a crackdown on elements of Islamic State, taking more key terror group leaders off the battlefield.
- US Has Made No Decisions on Military Postures in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pentagon Says Sputnik 02 Feb 2021 -- The United States has not yet decided on its military postures in either Iraq or Afghanistan, Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby told reporters on Tuesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list