Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2021 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- US-led military convoy targeted in Iraq's Babil province Press TV 31 Jan 2021 -- A US-led military coalition's logistics support convoy has been targeted in the central Iraqi province of Babil.
- Iraq arrests top Daesh informant in Saladin province Press TV 31 Jan 2021 -- The Military Intelligence Directorate of the Iraqi Ministry of Defense says a top Daesh informant has been arrested in a suburb of Shirqat town in Saladin province.
- US Coalition Says Joint Operation Killed Daesh Commander in Iraq After Baghdad Takes Sole Credit Sputnik 31 Jan 2021 -- The Iraqi and Syrian militaries and their allies have spent the past three years engaged in mop-up operations to liquidate the remnants of the so-called Daesh (ISIS)* 'Caliphate' â€“ a vast jihadist-controlled territory which once stretched across wide swathes of northern and western Iraq and eastern Syria.
- Iraq's popular forces repel Daesh attack on Jurf al-Sakhar Press TV 30 Jan 2021 -- Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known as Hashd al-Sha'abi, have thwarted an attack launched by the remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group on Jurf al-Sakhar region in the central Babil province.
- Security forces kill Daesh self-proclaimed leader in Iraq: PM Kadhimi Press TV 28 Jan 2021 -- Iraqi Prime Minister and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces Mustafa al-Kadhimi says the country's security forces have managed to eliminate a high-profile member of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group during a counter-terrorism operation.
- Iraq's Prime Minister Announces Elimination of Daesh 'Deputy Caliph and the Governor of Iraq' Sputnik 28 Jan 2021 -- In late 2020, official Baghdad said that the Daesh* terrorist group had scaled up its operations in the country. Iraq previously declared victory over the group in 2017.
- Secretary Blinken's First Call with Iraqi Foreign Minister Hussein US Dept. of State 28 Jan 2021
- New Pentagon Chief Might Revise Number of Troops in Afghanistan, Iraq, Reports Suggest Sputnik 27 Jan 2021 -- US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin might revise former President Donald Trump's decision to scale down troops in Afghanistan and Iran, The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday.
- US-led coalition military convoy targeted near Iraq's Samarra Press TV 27 Jan 2021 -- A US-led coalition military convoy has reportedly been targeted near the Iraqi city of Samarra in the northern province of Salahuddin.
- Iraqi MPs outraged by US decision to review troop drawdown Press TV 27 Jan 2021 -- Iraqi parliamentarians serve fiery responses to a decision coming out of Washington to review the previous US administration's plan to draw down the number of American forces in the Arab country.
- At least 11 PMU fighters killed in Daesh ambush north of Baghdad Press TV 23 Jan 2021 -- At least 11 fighters from Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known as Hashd al-Sha'abi, have been killed in an ambush by Daesh terrorists north of the Iraqi capital, according to security sources.
- Nujaba warns Daesh supporters after reports of plots to hit Baghdad, Najaf, Karbala Press TV 23 Jan 2021 -- Iraq's Harakat al-Nujaba resistance group has warned about plots by the terrorist group of Daesh to carry out attacks in the capital Baghdad, as well as the holy cities of Najaf and Karbala, threatening the regimes supporting the Takfiri group that they will cause the war to drag into their own lands.
- Iraq PM orders major security changes in capital after bloodshed Press TV 22 Jan 2021 -- A day after deadly bombings that rocked the heart of Baghdad, Iraq's prime minister has expelled four senior security officials as part of a set of structural changes to the capital's security apparatus, pledging the nation that his government will not allow a repeat of such attacks.
- Iraq pledges 'earth-shattering response' after Baghdad blasts Press TV 22 Jan 2021 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi promises a crushing response after a twin blast, that has reportedly been claimed by the Takfiri terror group of Daesh, targeted a busy square in Baghdad claiming at least 32 people.
- Iraqi Prime Minister Fires 4 Senior Security Officials Following Baghdad Terror Attacks Sputnik 22 Jan 2021 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi has dismissed four high-ranking security officials, including the country's federal police head, following the twin terrorist attacks in the capital of Baghdad, Yehia Rasool, a spokesperson for the Iraqi commander-in-chief, said.
- Islamic State Claims Suicide Attack on Iraqi Capital VOA 21 Jan 2021 -- Islamic State has claimed responsibility for two suicide bombers who attacked a market in Iraq's capital Thursday, killing at least 32 people and wounding 110 others.
- Dozens Killed, Wounded in Twin Baghdad Suicide Bombings VOA 21 Jan 2021 -- Iraqi authorities say two suicide bombers blew themselves up at a used clothing market in Baghdad's Air Force Square, killing at least 35 people and wounding over 100. Jihadists are being accused of having been behind the bombings, the first major such incidents in the Iraqi capital in the past 18 months.
- Two roadside bomb attacks target US convoys in southern Iraq Press TV 21 Jan 2021 -- Two roadside bomb attacks have hit convoys of logistic vehicles belonging to the so-called US military coalition in Iraq, which is purportedly fighting the Daesh terrorist group in the Arab country.
- Bomb attacks leave many casualties in Iraqi capital Press TV 21 Jan 2021 -- At least 28 people have been killed and many others wounded in two terrorist attacks in a crowded market in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, police and medical sources say.
- Terrorist Attacks in Baghdad US Dept. of State 21 Jan 2021
- Iraq: UN chief condemns 'horrific' double suicide bombing at Baghdad market UN News 21 Jan 2021 -- Perpetrators behind twin deadly suicide bombings at a busy market in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, on Thursday must be prosecuted, UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres said in a statement strongly condemning the attacks.
- Iraq approves use of Chinese, British COVID-19 vaccines; Israel extends lockdown for 10 days People's Daily 20 Jan 2021 -- Iraq on Tuesday approved the emergency use of China's Sinopharm and British AstraZeneca vaccines to contain the spread of COVID-19 pandemic. Meanwhile, Israel decided to extend nationwide lockdown for 10 days.
- State Media: Iraq to Postpone General Elections by Four Months VOA 19 Jan 2021 -- Iraq's Cabinet members voted unanimously Tuesday to postpone this year's general elections from June 6 until October 10, according to the state news agency INA.
- Casualties reported as airstrikes hit Iraqi forces' positions in Babil Press TV 18 Jan 2021 -- Several Iraqi forces have apparently been killed in airstrikes against the positions of the Arab country's military units in Jurf al-Sakhar, Babil province, local sources and media reports said.
- US-led military convoy enters northeastern Syria from Iraq: Report Press TV 17 Jan 2021 -- The US-led military coalition purportedly formed to fight the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has reportedly sent a new convoy of trucks carrying military and logistical equipment to Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, as Washington is seeking to maintain its grip on energy resources in Syria and loot natural reserves in the war-hit country.
- PMU chief reiterates that US military forces must withdraw from Iraq Press TV 17 Jan 2021 -- The chairman of the Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units has underlined the need to implement the parliamentary resolution requesting the government to end the presence of foreign forces in the country and reiterating that all American troops must leave Iraq.
- US Force Levels in Afghanistan, Iraq Down to 2,500 Each, Acting Defence Secretary Says Sputnik 15 Jan 2021 -- The Pentagon has fully carried out US President Donald Trump's order to draw down troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, and now has just 2,500 soldiers stationed in each country, Acting Secretary of Defence Christopher Miller said in a pair of statements on Friday.
- Statement from National Security Advisor Robert C. O'Brien The White House 15 Jan 2021
- U.S. Completes Troop-Level Drawdown in Afghanistan, Iraq DoD News 15 Jan 2021 -- Troop levels in Iraq and Afghanistan have dropped, acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller announced today.
- Statement by Acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller on Force Levels in Iraq DoD 15 Jan 2021 -- "Today, the United States has reduced the force levels in Iraq to 2,500 as directed by President Trump, and as I announced on November 17, 2020. The drawdown of U.S. force levels in Iraq is reflective of the increased capabilities of the Iraqi Security Forces."
- US Cuts Troops in Iraq to 2,500 VOA 15 Jan 2021 -- Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Christopher Miller, said Friday the United States has cut troops in Iraq to 2,500, meeting a goal set by the Trump administration late last year.
- Statement from President Donald J. Trump The White House 14 Jan 2021
- Iraq's PMU: US hostile towards those who fought against global terrorism Press TV 14 Jan 2021 -- Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), in reaction to US sanctions on its deputy leader, says Washington is hostile toward those who played a role in the defeat of global terrorism.
- Iraqis Voice Mixed Reactions to US Designation of Key Politician VOA 12 Jan 2021 -- The recent designation of a key Iraqi politician as a human rights violator by the U.S. Treasury Department has triggered mixed reactions in the conflict-ridden country, where the government has publicly joined pro-Iran voices to condemn the blacklisting.
- US puts chairman of Iraqi anti-terror Hashd al-Sha'abi forces on sanctions list Press TV 09 Jan 2021 -- The United States has imposed sanctions on a former Iraqi national security adviser and chairman of the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) â€“ better known by the Arabic word Hashd al-Sha'abi, as Washington ramps up its measures against the popular anti-terror forces.
- Designation of Iraqi Militia Leader in Connection with Serious Human Rights Abuse US Dept. of State 08 Jan 2021 -- "Today, the United States is designating Falih al-Fayyadh, Chairman of the Iraqi Popular Mobilization Commission (PMC) and former National Security Advisor to the Iraqi Prime Minister, for his role in violence against Iraqi protesters in 2019."
- Treasury Sanctions Iraqi Militia Leader Connected to Serious Human Rights Abuse US Treasury 08 Jan 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated Iraqi Popular Mobilization Committee (PMC) Chairman and former National Security Advisor Falih al-Fayyadh for his connection to serious human rights abuse.
- Iraqi court issues arrest warrant for Trump over assassination of Gen. Soleimani, PMU deputy cmdr. Press TV 07 Jan 2021 -- An Iraqi court has ordered the arrest of outgoing US President Donald Trump as part of its investigation into the assassination of top Iranian anti-terror commander Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani and his Iraqi trenchmate Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis in a US drone strike near Baghdad International Airport on January 3 last year.
- Iraqi Court Issues Arrest Warrant for Trump Over Killing of Shia Militia Group Commander Sputnik 07 Jan 2021 -- An Iraqi court authorised to investigate the killing of Shia militia group deputy commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis in January 2020 has issued an arrest warrant for US President Donald Trump, the press service of Iraq's Supreme Judicial Council said on Thursday.
- US extends sanctions waiver for Iraq to import Iranian gas ISNA 05 Jan 2021 -- The US has granted Iraq a three-month extension to a sanctions waiver allowing it to import Iranian gas, an Iraqi official told AFP.
- Iraqis Mark Anniversary Of Top Iranian General's Assassination RFE/RL 03 Jan 2021 -- Thousands of Iraqis converged on central Baghdad's Tahrir Square on January 3 to mark the first anniversary of the twin assassinations in a U.S. air strike of a top Iranian general and a leader of an Iraqi powerful Shi'ite militia.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list