Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2020 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Daesh claims rocket attack on oil refinery in Iraq Press TV 30 Nov 2020 -- The Daesh terrorist group has claimed a rocket attack that hit a small oil refinery in northern Iraq on Sunday.
- Drone Strike Reportedly Kills One of Iran's IRGC Commanders in Western Iraq Sputnik 30 Nov 2020 -- A drone strike killed one of the commanders of the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), Muslim Shahdan, in Iraq's Al Anbar Province bordering Syria, Al Arabiya reported on Monday, citing Iraqi sources.
- Daesh Claims Responsibility For Iraq Oil Refinery Rocket Attack Sputnik 29 Nov 2020 -- The Siniya refinery was reopened in 2017 after damages caused by Daesh* terrorists had been repaired. It has a capacity of 20,000 barrels per day.
- US-backed SDF militants don't stop terrorists from sneaking Syria-Iraq border: Official Press TV 27 Nov 2020 -- A high-ranking Iraqi military official says militants affiliated with the Kurdish-led and US-sponsored Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) do not prevent foreign-backed Takfiri terrorists from crossing border into Iraq.
- UN Committee urges end to impunity for enforced disappearances in Iraq UN News 27 Nov 2020 -- A pattern of enforced disappearance â€“ and impunity for such acts - persists in Iraq, according to a report published on Friday by the UN Committee charged with monitoring how well the country upholds its international obligations in dealing with the issue.
- Iran's oil production from shared fields with Iraq grows by 460% in seven years IRNA 27 Nov 2020 -- Iran is producing more than 400,000 b/d of oil from West Karoon fields, shared with Iraq, which shows a 460 percent growth compared to figures from seven years ago.
- Iraq Warns Daesh Activities Have Intensified, Urges International Cooperation to Stop Terrorists Sputnik 26 Nov 2020 -- The Daesh* terrorist organisation has scaled up activities in Iraq in the past few months, Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein said in an interview with Sputnik.
- Denmark assumes command of NATO Mission Iraq NATO 25 Nov 2020 -- Lieutenant-General Per Pugholm Olsen of the Danish Armed Forces is the new Commander of the NATO Mission Iraq, following a change of command ceremony held in Baghdad on 24 November 2020.
- US wants Iraq to tap Kurdish gas to cut Iran reliance Press TV 24 Nov 2020 -- A US government official says Iraq must take advantage of gas production in its semi-autonomous Kurdistan region to stop energy imports from Iran, sounding out Washington's latest pressure on Baghdad to part ways with Tehran.
- Securing stability and prosperity for the people of Iraq UK FCDO 24 Nov 2020 -- Statement by Ambassador James Roscoe, Acting UK Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Iraq
- Iraq: Continued international support vital amid 'multiple storms' UN News 24 Nov 2020 -- As authorities in Iraq continue to operate "in the eye of multiple storms", international support remains essential for resolving ongoing political, security, economic and social crises, as well as the fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic, the Security Council heard on Tuesday.
- Iraq's Counter-Terrorism Service arrests Daesh 'administrative chief' at Baghdad airport Press TV 23 Nov 2020 -- Members of Iraq's elite Counter-Terrorism Service (CTS) have captured a high-ranking figure of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group after he arrived at Baghdad International Airport.
- US opposes Iraq's S-400 system acquisition as it challenges its aerial hegemony: MP Press TV 23 Nov 2020 -- An Iraqi legislator says the United States is fiercely opposed to Iraq's procurement of Russian-made surface-to-air S-400 air defense missile systems for fear the advanced anti-aircraft weapons could undermine the aerial hegemony of Washington in the region.
- Daesh attack leaves multiple casualties among Iraqi security forces, civilians Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Three civilians and six Iraqi security forces, including two members of the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) anti-terror group, have been killed in a fresh attack by Daesh terrorists north of Baghdad, officials said.
- First group of US occupation forces leaves Iraq: Cmdr. Press TV 21 Nov 2020 -- The spokesman for the Iraqi Joint Operations Command has announced the withdrawal of the first batch of US troops from the Arab country based on an agreement reached between the Baghdad and Washington.
- US extends sanctions waiver for Iraq to import Iranian gas Press TV 21 Nov 2020 -- The United States has granted Iraq a shortened 45-day sanctions waiver to import gas from neighboring Iran.
- Resistance forces won't put down their weapons amid threat: Iraqi leader Press TV 20 Nov 2020 -- A senior Iraqi leader says the Islamic resistance forces will not lay down their arms as long as Iraq is under threat.
- Iraqi Forces With Help of US-Led Coalition Kill 16 Daesh Militants in Kirkuk Province Sputnik 20 Nov 2020 -- Iraq's counter-terrorism services, with the support of the US-led International Coalition, have managed to eliminate 16 terrorists having links to Daesh* in the northern province of Kirkuk, commander-in-chief spokesperson Yehia Rasool said on Friday.
- No Way Home: Former IS Detainees Doomed to Limbo in Iraq VOA 20 Nov 2020 -- The Hassan Sham Camp, like so many others in Iraq, was built in 2016, as Iraqi and coalition forces retook territories held by the Islamic State terror group.
- Major Iraqi parliamentary bloc wants full withdrawal of US troops, not partial drawdown Press TV 19 Nov 2020 -- A powerful political coalition in Iraq's parliament says Washington must withdraw all its troops from the Arab country instead of partial drawdown its forces.
- Iran-backed Militias Resume Rocket Attacks Toward US Embassy in Iraq VOA 19 Nov 2020 -- Weeks of continued calm in and around Baghdad's Green Zone were disturbed Tuesday when several rockets were fired toward the U.S. Embassy, located in the fortified area that houses key government offices and other diplomatic facilities.
- Iraqi military says four rockets struck Baghdad's Green Zone Press TV 18 Nov 2020 -- The Iraqi military says four rockets have targeted the Green Zone in the capital Baghdad, an area that houses government buildings and foreign missions, including the US embassy.
- Apparent Rocket Attack Against US Embassy in Baghdad Ratchets Up Iraq Tensions VOA 18 Nov 2020 -- A rocket attack by pro-Iranian militia appeared to target the U.S. Embassy compound in Baghdad's Green Zone overnight. The attack has ratcheted up tensions between the U.S. and Iraq, just as the two countries announced the withdrawal of 500 more U.S. soldiers from Iraq.
- Pentagon confirms troops drawdown plan in Afghanistan, Iraq People's Daily 18 Nov 2020 -- The Pentagon on Tuesday confirmed that U.S. troops in Afghanistan and Iraq will be reduced to 2,500 level respectively by mid-January 2021.
- Pentagon Formally Announces Troop Reductions In Iraq, Afghanistan By Mid-January RFE/RL Gandhara 18 Nov 2020 -- The United States will significantly cut its troop presence in Afghanistan by January 15, just days before President Donald Trump leaves office in a move that could tie the hands of his successor, Joe Biden.
- Acting Secretary Miller Announces Troop Levels in Afghanistan and Iraq DoD 17 Nov 2020 -- Acting Secretary Of Defense Christopher C. Miller
- Acting Secretary Miller Announcement on Afghanistan and Iraq Troop Levels DoD 17 Nov 2020 -- Good afternoon. I'm Chris Miller, Acting Secretary of Defense, and I am here today to update you on President Trump's plan to bring the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq to a successful and responsible conclusion, and to bring our brave Service members home.
- Defense Secretary Says U.S. Will Drawdown Forces in Afghanistan, Iraq DoD News 17 Nov 2020 -- The United States will draw down forces in Afghanistan and Iraq by Jan. 15, 2021, Acting Defense Secretary Christopher C. Miller said today at the Pentagon.
- US Cutting Troop Numbers in Afghanistan, Iraq by Mid-January VOA 17 Nov 2020 -- The Pentagon is bringing home more American service members in the coming weeks, following President Donald Trump's order to remove about 2,000 troops from Afghanistan and 500 troops from Iraq before next year's U.S. presidential inauguration.
- Pentagon to pull 2,500 US troops from Afghanistan, Iraq before Trump leaves Press TV 17 Nov 2020 -- The US Defense Department has reportedly been ordered to cut the number of troops in Afghanistan from 4,500 to 2,500 and the number of forces in Iraq from 3,000 to 2,500 by January 15, days before outgoing President Donald Trump leaves office.
- Trump administration planning to draw down troops in Afghanistan and Iraq Press TV 17 Nov 2020 -- The outgoing administration of US President Donald Trump is planning to cut the number of American troops deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq, according to a report.
- Acting US Def Sec Miller Formally Announces Plans to Cut Troops in Afghanistan, Iraq to 2,500 Each Sputnik 17 Nov 2020 -- Earlier on Monday, CNN reported, citing two US officials, that Pentagon anticipated President Donald Trump to issue an order this week regarding troop withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan by 15 January.
- Iran Air Defense Force says ready to train Iraqi servicemen Press TV 17 Nov 2020 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran Air Defense Force (IRIADF) expresses readiness to start training the Iraqi Army's servicemen as means of expanding military cooperation between the friendly and neighboring countries.
- Iraqi army jets target Daesh remnants in eastern Diyala Province Press TV 17 Nov 2020 -- The Iraqi Army F-16 aircraft have targeted the positions of remaining Daesh terrorists in the eastern province of Diyala.
- Iran, Iraq Air Force commanders assess plans for closer bilateral cooperation ISNA 17 Nov 2020 -- Iranian Air Force Commander Brigadier General Aziz Nasirzadeh and his Iraqi counterpart Lt. Gen Shahab Jahid Ali Al Shakarachi held a meeting in Tehran on Tuesday to assess plans for closer bilateral cooperation.
- Pentagon Expects Trump to Order Afghan, Iraq Troops Halved by January 15 - Reports Sputnik 16 Nov 2020 -- The United States Department of Defense anticipates that President Donald Trump will issue an order as early as this week to cut the number of troops in Afghanistan and Iraq in half by mid-January, CNN reported, citing two US officials.
- Comdr: Iran ready for joint production of helicopter with Iraq IRNA 16 Nov 2020 -- Iranian Army Airborne Commander Brigadier-General Yousef Qorbani said Iran is ready for joint production of helicopters with Iraq.
- Top comdr: Iran-Iraq defense ties to enhance security IRNA 15 Nov 2020 -- Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Hossein Baqeri said that given the US efforts to grow the number of terrorists in the region, defense cooperation between Iran and Iraq will create better security conditions for Iraq.
- US must be expelled from Iraq in line with parliament approval: IRGC chief commander Press TV 15 Nov 2020 -- All the American forces must leave Iraq in line with a decision approved by the Iraqi parliament, says the chief commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC).
- Iraqi parliament resolution on US troops' pullout not affected by change in White House: Lawmaker Press TV 15 Nov 2020 -- The change in the US administration cannot impact the implementation of a resolution adopted by Iraq's parliament concerning the withdrawal of US forces from the country, says a senior Iraqi lawmaker, stressing that the decision is irreversible.
- Defense ties with Iran to boost Iraq's security as US tries to revive terrorists: Gen. Baqeri Press TV 15 Nov 2020 -- Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri says defense cooperation between neighboring Iran and Iraq will improve security in the Arab country in the face of US efforts to revive terrorists in the region.
- Iraqi Forces Eliminate 15-Member Terrorist Cell in Nineveh Province, Reports Say Sputnik 15 Nov 2020 -- The Iraqi security forces have neutralised a terrorist cell consisting of 15 militants in the northern province of Nineveh, Iraq's INA news agency reported, citing the National Security Department.
- Iraqi forces deliver crushing blows to Daesh sleeper cells Press TV 15 Nov 2020 -- Iraqi forces have delivered severe blows to remnants of the Daesh terrorist group in the country, with counter-terrorism efforts by the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) or Hashd al-Sha'abi proving an indispensable asset in the process.
- Defense Minister: Iran ready to meet Iraq's defense needs IRNA 14 Nov 2020 -- Iranian Minister of Defense Brigadier-General Amir Hatami said on Saturday that Iran's Ministry of Defense is ready to meet the needs of the Iraqi armed forces to strengthen Iraq's defense power.
- Iran ready to fulfill needs of Iraqi Armed Forces to strengthen defense power: Hatami Press TV 14 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami has expressed the Islamic Republic's readiness to help boost Iraq's defense power and supply all requirements of the country's armed forces.
- Anti-terror group vows to not allow US breaches of airspace over Iraq Press TV 14 Nov 2020 -- A senior member of an anti-terror resistance group, part of Iraq's Hashd al-Sha'abi, says his fellow fighters would not allow the United States to continue violating the Iraqi airspace.
- Iraq reports fresh victories against Daesh, urges all countries to fight terrorism Press TV 13 Nov 2020 -- Iraq's Foreign Ministry has highlighted the country's victory in its fight against terrorism thanks to the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) and other security forces, urging the entire world to follow suit and counter the grave menace.
- Iraqis Voice Mixed Reactions to Biden's Election VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- The projected election of Joe Biden as the 46th president of the United States has been met with mixed reactions in war-torn Iraq, where nearly 3,000 American troops remain to help the country's forces fight the remnants of the Islamic State terror group.
- Daesh gunmen kill 11 in Baghdad, including PMU fighters Press TV 09 Nov 2020 -- The Takfiri terror group of Daesh reportedly attacks an army post in Baghdad, killing 11 people, including members of the Hashd al-Sha'abi or Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) anti-terror force, and wounding eight others.
- Iraq's Kata'ib Hezbollah warns of 'tougher' war if US troops refuse to leave Press TV 05 Nov 2020 -- Iraq's anti-terror Kata'ib Hezbollah group, a faction of the country's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) or Hashd al-Sha'abi, has warned that a "tougher and stronger" confrontation awaits US forces should they defy a timetable set for their withdrawal from the Arab country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list