Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2020 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iran-Backed Militia Behind Irbil Rocket Attack, Says Iraqi Kurdish Security Agency RFE/RL 30 Sep 2020 -- A suspected Iran-backed militia launched at least six rockets near U.S. troops stationed at Irbil airport in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
- U.S. Might Close Embassy Unless Iraq Prevents Iran Militia Attacks RFE/RL 28 Sep 2020 -- The Trump administration may close its embassy in Iraq if the government does not take steps to protect it from attacks by Iranian-backed militants.
- Iraq to End Its Electricity Dependency on Iran Radio Farda 27 Sep 2020 -- Days after the United States extended a sanctions waiver that enables Iraq to continue importing gas and electricity from Iran, Iraq announced that three thousand megawatts would soon be added to the country's power grid.
- Explosion in Iraq targets US convoy Press TV 23 Sep 2020 -- A bomb explosion has targeted a logistics convoy belonging to the US-led coalition forces in Iraq's northern province of Salahuddin.
- Khamenei Hails Ceasefire With Iraq 40 Years Ago Radio Farda 22 Sep 2020 -- On Monday, Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei praised the eight-year Iran-Iraq war as "one of the most rational events in Iran's history" and described accepting the UN Security Council Resolution (UNSCR) 598, which ended the war, as "the (one of) most rational decisions made."
- Iraq bans entry of foreign travelers as COVID-19 infections reach 319,035 Global Times 21 Sep 2020 -- The Iraqi Health Ministry on Sunday reported 3,438 new COVID-19 cases, as the health authorities banned the entry of foreign travelers into the country amid the appearance of new strains of the coronavirus in the neighboring countries.
- Facing Enraged Iranian Pilgrims, Iraq Closes its Borders Radio Farda 20 Sep 2020 -- The Iraqi Border Authority have announced that the country's borders are closed, a response to videos posted on social media showing some Iranian pilgrims storming toward Iran's western borders to reach the Iraqi city of Karbala.
- Iran Proxies Appear Emboldened by US Drawdown Decision VOA 19 Sep 2020 -- Last weekâ€™s U.S. announcement that it would withdraw more than 2,000 of its troops from Iraq this month appears to have emboldened Iran-backed Shiite militias, with some groups vowing to keep up their fight against the remaining American troops in the country.
- Ammunition Blast Hits Iraqi Military Base in Northern Saladin Province Sputnik 18 Sep 2020 -- An ammunition explosion has stricken the Iraqi-based Majid al Tamimi military facility, formerly known as the Speicher operating base, in the northern province of Saladin, the Iraqi Security Media Cell, which provides official information on security incidents, said on Friday.
- Secretary General welcomes Iraqi Foreign Minister at NATO Headquarters NATO 16 Sep 2020 -- Today (16 September 2020), NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with the Foreign Minister of Iraq Mr. Fuad Mohammad Hussein, at NATO Headquarters in Brussels.
- Rocket hits Baghdad's high security Green Zone Press TV 16 Sep 2020 -- A Katyusha rocket has hit an area in Baghdad's Green Zone, which houses government buildings and foreign missions, including the US embassy, an Iraqi security source says.
- Iraqi, Peshmerga Forces to Step Up Anti-IS Joint Effort VOA 14 Sep 2020 -- Iraqi military and Kurdish Peshmerga forces will increase their cooperation in the fight against Islamic State, an Iraqi military official said.
- Two more US convoys targeted by roadside bombs in Iraq Press TV 14 Sep 2020 -- Two more military and logistics convoys of the US-led coalition have been targeted by roadside bombs in Iraq, the Iraqi military says.
- Top Terrorist Who Bankrolled Daesh Killed During Operation in Western Iraq Sputnik 14 Sep 2020 -- The Iraqi military, in cooperation with the US-led international coalition, has eliminated a senior leader of the Daesh* terror group, who was responsible for financing camps, in the western Al Anbar province, Iraq's Security Media Cell, an official outlet providing information on the country's security, said on Monday.
- CENTCOM commander admits growing attacks on US troops in Iraq, warns Iran Press TV 13 Sep 2020 -- Commander of US military forces in the Middle East has again raised concerns about surging attacks against American installations in Iraq, linking it to Iran's vow to drive out US forces from the region but rejecting it as the reason for a major US troop reduction in the region.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 12 Sep 2020 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Ayatollah Sistani supports early legislative elections following meeting with top UN official Press TV 13 Sep 2020 -- Iraq's top cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani has expressed his support for early parliamentary elections, a key demand of protesters who staged months of demonstrations last year against corruption and poor economic conditions.
- IRGC destroys headquarters of counter-revolutionary groups in Iraqi Kurdistan IRNA 13 Sep 2020 -- Deputy commander of operations of Hamzeh Seyyed al-Shuhada (AS) Headquarters said that in response to the counter-revolutionary evil acts, the fighters of this camp have targeted the headquarters of the opposition groups in the Iraqi Kurdistan region in artillery, missile and UAV operations in recent days.
- Iraqi official says Iraq, U.S. agree to cut troops in September People's Daily 10 Sep 2020 -- Spokesman of the Iraqi Joint Operations Command (JOC) said on Wednesday that the U.S. decision to cut its troops in Iraq came within an agreed timetable between the Iraqi government and the United States.
- U.S. to reduce troop presence in Iraq, Afghanistan by November People's Daily 10 Sep 2020 -- Commander of U.S. Central Command Kenneth McKenzie confirmed on Wednesday that the United States would withdraw thousands of troops from Iraq and Afghanistan by November, U.S. media reported on Wednesday.
- US, Germany to reduce military presence in Iraq Press TV 10 Sep 2020 -- The United States and Germany have announced they will reduce military presence in Iraq, months after Iraqi lawmakers passed a resolution calling on the government to end the presence of all Washington-led troops in the Arab counry.
- Pentagon formally announces troop reduction in Iraq Press TV 09 Sep 2020 -- The commander of US Central Command says his country will reduce the number of its forces in Iraq from 5,200 to 3,000 by the end of September.
- US to Reduce Military Presence in Iraq to 3,000 in September Sputnik 09 Sep 2020 -- The United States will remove around 2,200 troops from Iraq by the end of this month in a significant drawdown of its military presence in the country, Central Command (CENTCOM) chief Gen. Frank McKenzie said on Wednesday.
- Roadside bombs target two US military convoys in Iraq Press TV 08 Sep 2020 -- Two US military and logistics convoys have been targeted by roadside bombs in Iraq, the latest in a series of explosions that hit US occupation forces amid anti-American sentiment in the country.
- Iraqi parliament committee rejects direct negotiations with Turkey amid PKK operation Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- The security and defense committee of Iraq's parliament has rejected direct negotiations with Turkey over an ongoing cross-border operation in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region against the hideouts of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).
- US-Led Coalition Downsizes Program That Spent $5 Bn to Equip 'Security Partners in Iraq and Syria' Sputnik 04 Sep 2020 -- The US will attempt to maintain equipment and other supplies for local fighters battling pockets of remaining fighters of the Daesh* terror group in Syria and Iraq while scaling back aid that totaled more than $5 billion since 2014, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve said in a press release on Thursday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list