Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2020 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- US to Reduce Troop Levels in Iraq VOA 30 Aug 2020 -- The United States is planning to reduce its troop levels in Iraq, President Donald Trump and other U.S. officials said.
- Two Turkish Soldiers Die in Clash With PKK Members, Defence Ministry Says Sputnik 29 Aug 2020 -- Two Turkish soldiers were fatally wounded during an operation against the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which Ankara considers a terrorist group, in the eastern Agri province near the border with Iran on Saturday, the Defence Ministry said.
- US to slash number of troops in Iraq by about one-third: Report Press TV 28 Aug 2020 -- The Pentagon is planning to decrease the number of American troops in Iraq by about one-third, a report says.
- Foreign Minister Of Saudi Arabia, Iran's Chief Rival, Visits Iraq To Expand Ties Radio Farda 28 Aug 2020 -- Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan visited Iraq on Thursday, August 27, for the first time since he was appointed the kingdom's foreign minister last year.
- Iraqi President Salih calls on Turkey to stop cross-border incursions, respect sovereignty Press TV 27 Aug 2020 -- Iraqi President Barham Salih has called on Turkey to stop its ongoing operation in the country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region against hideouts of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group, saying the cross-border offensive is violating Iraq's sovereignty.
- Deliberate silencing of peaceful voices in Iraq 'unacceptable', says UN human rights chief UN News 27 Aug 2020 -- A new UN report launched on Thursday highlights human rights violations and abuses that were committed during recent demonstrations in Iraq and calls for immediate action for justice.
- Two Civilians Killed in Turkish Drone Airstrike in Northern Iraq Sputnik 26 Aug 2020 -- Two civilians were killed in the result of an airstrike launched by a Turkish unmanned aerial vehicle late on Tuesday on a car in the town of Khana Sor located in the northern Iraqi province of Nineveh, the official Security Media Cell has said.
- Supporting economic and political stability in Iraq UK FCO 26 Aug 2020 -- Statement by Ambassador James Roscoe, Acting UK Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on the situation in Iraq
- Facing pandemic, economic and political challenges, Iraq Government 'operating in the eyes of multiple storms at once' UN News 26 Aug 2020 -- The COVID-19 pandemic is aggravating deep-rooted economic, social and political challenges in Iraq, but elections in 2021 – if credible - could open a new chapter for the Middle East nation after years of conflict and strife, the UN's top official in the country said Wednesday.
- Iraq, Jordan, Egypt Discuss Closer Ties VOA 26 Aug 2020 -- It was a highly touted summit, with Iraqi Prime Minister Mustapha Kadhimi reaching out to potential allies Egypt and Jordan in what appeared to be a bid to loosen Iran's grip on Iraqi politics. Pro-Iranian militias have been accused of interfering in Iraqi government decisions and attacking protesters who oppose them.
- Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary Joey Hood and Deputy Assistant Secretary for Iraq David Copley, Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs On the Recent U.S.-Iraq Strategic Dialogue US Dept. of State 25 Aug 2020
- US hands over base to Iraqi troops amid calls for withdrawal Press TV 23 Aug 2020 -- US troops and their allies have withdrawn from the Taji base north of Iraq's capital Baghdad and handed it over to Iraqi security forces.
- Iraq Interested in Russian Infantry Vehicles, Su-57s, Army Inspector Says Sputnik 23 Aug 2020 -- Iraq is interested in purchasing infantry vehicles from Russia and in boosting Baghdad-Moscow military ties, Imad Al-Zuhairi, the military inspector for the Iraqi Ministry of Defence, said on Sunday.
- Another bomb explosion targets US military convoy near Baghdad in two days Press TV 22 Aug 2020 -- An explosion has reportedly targeted a US military convoy west of Iraq's capital.
- Iraqi Protesters Continue Assault on Pro-Iranian Militias in Basra, Nasiriyah VOA 22 Aug 2020 -- Iraqi state TV reported that government security forces blocked main arteries Saturday in the southern port city of Basra after protesters torched the local parliament building and a number of Shiite militia headquarters in response to the killings of protest leaders.
- Assassinations in Iraq US Dept. of State 20 Aug 2020 -- We are outraged by the targeted assassinations of civil society activists and attacks on protesters in Basrah and Baghdad.
- Iraqi resistance groups threaten to target US interests in case of no deal on troops pullout Press TV 21 Aug 2020 -- Iraqi resistance groups threaten to target the American interests in the Arab country if Prime Minister Mustafa al-Khadhimi's ongoing visit to Washington fails to produce an agreement on US forces' withdrawal from the Iraqi soil.
- Iraq: UN Mission condemns killings of activists in Basra UN News 21 Aug 2020 -- The UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) has strongly condemned the killing of two activists and attacks against others in the southern city of Basra, urging increased efforts to bring the perpetrators to justice.
- Trump redoubles vow to withdraw troops from Iraq Press TV 20 Aug 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has once again promised Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi to withdraw the few US troops who are still in Iraq.
- Trump Tells Iraqi Prime Minister US Troops Will Be 'Leaving Shortly' VOA 20 Aug 2020 -- Sitting alongside the new Iraqi prime minister in the Oval Office, President Donald Trump promised that thousands of U.S. troops in his guest's country will "be getting out" and "we'll be leaving shortly," but there was no announcement of a specific time frame.
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi of the Republic of Iraq Before Bilateral Meeting The White House 20 Aug 2020
- Joint Statement of President Donald J. Trump and Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi The White House 20 Aug 2020
- Joint Statement on the U.S.-Iraq Strategic Dialogue US Dept. of State 19 Aug 2020 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America and the Republic of Iraq.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper's Meeting with Minister of Defense of the Republic of Iraq Jumaah Saadoon DoD 19 Aug 2020
- U.S. Announces Humanitarian Assistance for Iraq US Dept. of State 19 Aug 2020 -- Today in Washington, the United States announced nearly $204 million in additional humanitarian assistance for the people of Iraq, Iraqi refugees in the region, and to generous communities hosting them.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo And Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein At a Press Availability US Dept. of State 19 Aug 2020
- US Gives Iraq $200M in Additional Humanitarian Aid VOA 19 Aug 2020 -- The United States is giving an additional $204 million in humanitarian assistance to Iraqi citizens, Iraqi refugees and refugee hosting communities, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Wednesday.
- Iraqi Prime Minister Says Not Playing 'Role Of Postman' Between US, Iran Radio Farda 18 Aug 2020 -- In an interview with the Associated Press on Monday, the Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi said he does not play the role of postman between the two diametrically opposed countries with close ties to Iraq.
- PKK militants claim to have shot down Turkish helicopter in Iraq Press TV 17 Aug 2020 -- The Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) claims to have shot down a Turkish helicopter and damaged another in northern Iraq.
- US-led coalition hands over major ammunition depot to Iraqi govt. forces Press TV 17 Aug 2020 -- The US-led military coalition purportedly formed to fight the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has officially turned over its largest ammunition depot in the north of the capital, Baghdad, to Iraqi security forces.
- Rocket lands near US embassy in Baghdad's Green Zone: Reports Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- At least four Katyusha rockets have been fired at the US embassy in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone, one of which has landed in an area where American troops are stationed at the diplomatic mission, according to media reports.
- One Rocket Hits Baghdad's Green Zone Sputnik 16 Aug 2020 -- Baghdad's Green Zone is home to government headquarters and embassies, including that of the United States.
- Iraq reports record 3,841 daily COVID-19 cases Global Times 14 Aug 2020 -- The Iraqi Health Ministry on Thursday recorded 3,841 new COVID-19 cases, the highest daily increase since the outbreak of the disease, as the health officials warned of a higher number of infections in the coming days.
- Nujaba declares 'Israel's destruction' ultimate goal of all resistance groups Press TV 14 Aug 2020 -- Iraq's al-Nujaba Movement says the ultimate goal pursued by all resistance groups is to destroy Israel and expel all American forces from the region.
- Coronavirus response: Spain completes delivery of medical assistance to Iraq NATO 13 Aug 2020 -- On Thursday 13 August 2020, the Spanish Ministry of Defence delivered disinfectants to the Iraqi authorities, in response to the global Coronavirus pandemic. A ceremony to this effect was held at the Iraqi air base of Al-Muthana, at the presence of several officials, including Brigadier General Salah from the Prime Minister National Operation Command and the Spanish Chargée d'Affaires Mrs Mariana Figueroa Sánchez.
- Iraq invokes diplomatic intervention against Turkish aggression Press TV 13 Aug 2020 -- Iraq pleads for Arab intervention against Turkey's continued cross-border attacks and incursions against anti-Ankara militants that have cost the lives of two Iraqi commanders and many civilians.
- Iraq: Turkish aggression endangers national security, regional stability Press TV 13 Aug 2020 -- The Iraqi National Security Council has denounced a recent deadly drone strike by Turkey on the Arab country as a violation of good neighborly principles, saying the aggression poses a threat to Iraq's national security as well as regional stability.
- Three Rockets Strike Iraq's Balad Air Base, No Casualties Reported Sputnik 13 Aug 2020 -- Multiple rockets fired from a mobile launcher landed inside Balad Air Base in Salah ad-Din Governorate, Iraq, on Thursday evening.
- Iraq cancels Turkish defense minister's visit, summons envoy over deadly drone strike Press TV 12 Aug 2020 -- Iraq has canceled an official visit by Turkey's Defense Minister Hulusi Akar and summoned Ankara's ambassador to Baghdad following a drone strike that killed two high-ranking Iraqi commanders in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Iraq slams Turkish drone strike against Kurdistan region Press TV 11 Aug 2020 -- Iraq has vehemently denounced Turkey's recent drone strike that killed two Iraqi border guards and a companion in the country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Two high-ranking border guards killed in Turkish drone strike against Iraq's Kurdistan region Press TV 11 Aug 2020 -- Two high-ranking Iraqi border guards have lost their lives when a Turkish unmanned aerial vehicle launched an attack in the country's Kurdistan region, where Ankara has been targeting the hideouts of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group.
- Explosion hits US military convoy near Taji base north of Baghdad Press TV 11 Aug 2020 -- An explosive device has hit a US-led military convoy near the Taji base north of Iraq's capital Baghdad.
- Tracking Missing Yazidis Increasingly Harder Six Years After IS Genocide VOA 08 Aug 2020 -- The Yazidi minority this week marked six years since the Islamic State (IS) attacked their homeland in northern Iraq. Their nightmare continues.
- Iraqi PM listens to protesters' demands at sit-in site in Baghdad Press TV 06 Aug 2020 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi has for the first time met with anti-government protesters in central Baghdad, renewing his pledge to deliver on their rightful demands.
- Iraq president welcomes PM Kadhimi's call for early elections Press TV 04 Aug 2020 -- President Barham Salih welcomes a call by Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi for Iraq to hold early elections next year as a means of meeting a key demand of the protesters seeking economic reforms.
- Two Rockets Land Near Iraq's Taji Military Base Hosting US Troops, Reports Say Sputnik 03 Aug 2020 -- Two rockets fell in the vicinity of Iraq's Taji military base, which is located north of the Baghdad capital and hosts US-led coalition troops, but did not explode, Al Sumaria broadcaster reported on Monday.
- Six years after genocide, international community must prioritize justice for Yazidi community UN News 03 Aug 2020 -- Six years after ISIL launched a genocidal campaign against the Yazidi religious minority in Iraq, the international community must live up to its promise to deliver justice, survivor and Nobel Peace Laureate Nadia Murad told a virtual event on Monday marking the anniversary.
- PMU official: US only concerned about looting Iraqi oil, never thinks about nation Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- An official from Iraq's Popular Mobilization Forces or Hashd al-Sha'abi says Washington only seeks to loot the Arab country's crude oil, stressing that US officials are unconcerned about the Iraqi nation and their woes.
- Iraqi premier calls early elections in June 2021, one year earlier than scheduled Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi says he will hold early parliamentary elections next June, a year earlier than scheduled, doubling down on a promise he made when he came to power to meet a key demand of anti-government protesters.
- Turkish, Iraqi presidents reiterate resolve to maintain strong ties with Iran Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani has expressed Iran's determination to enhance friendly relations with neighboring Turkey in all fields despite cruel US sanctions on the Iranian people.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list