Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2020 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Sistani To Followers: Partake In Muharram Ceremonies Through Safe 'Alternatives' Radio Farda 31 Jul 2020 -- In response to questions from his followers about participation in the ceremonies traditionally held during the month of Muharram, the Iraq-Based Grand Ayatollah Sistani has advised partaking through online and television programs and other safer alternatives.
- Iraq's anti-terror fighters will never surrender to US: PMU chief Press TV 30 Jul 2020 -- The chairman of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) or Hashd al-Sha'abi has highlighted the role of the counter-terrorism force in defending the Arab country against the Daesh Takfiri terror outfit, stressing that it will never give in to the US.
- Five Civilians Injured After Explosion in Iraqi Capital of Baghdad, Reports Suggest Sputnik 29 Jul 2020 -- The situation in Iraq has been worsening in recent months, with more attacks taking place every week. In mid-July, two rockets fell near the US Embassy in Baghdad's Green Zone, where diplomatic missions are located.
- Defeating Daesh Highlights of the Week July 29, 2020 CENTCOM 29 Jul 2020 -- Our partners in Iraq and Syria are leading the way to find and eliminate Daesh fighters and their finance, logistics, and media networks.
- Iraqi PM orders swift investigation into deadly Baghdad protest Press TV 28 Jul 2020 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi has ordered police to launch a swift probe into the deaths of two protesters during clashes with security forces in the capital Baghdad on the weekend.
- US-occupied Iraqi base struck by three rockets: Reports Press TV 27 Jul 2020 -- Iraq's Taji military base, which is occupied by American forces, has been attacked by at least three Katyusha rockets, the Iraqi military said.
- Coronavirus response: Spain delivers critical medical aid to Iraq NATO 27 Jul 2020 -- On Sunday 26 July 2020, in response to a request for COVID-19 relief aid from Iraq to NATO's Euro-Atlantic Disaster Response Coordination Centre (EADRCC), Spain handed over critical medical supplies to Iraqi authorities.
- Multiple Explosions Hit Iraq Weapons Depot Used By Pro-Iran Militia Radio Farda 27 Jul 2020 -- A weapons depot at al-Saqr base belonging to Iraq's federal police force but also used by pro-Iran paramilitaries exploded on Sunday in Baghdad's southern suburbs.
- Large explosions rock arms depot of Iraqi forces at military base near Baghdad Press TV 26 Jul 2020 -- Large explosions have struck an arms depot belonging to the Iraqi Federal Police forces and Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known by the Arabic word Hashd al-Sha'abi, at a military compound southwest of the capital Baghdad.
- Explosions Rock Military Compound in Southern Baghdad, Reports Say Sputnik 26 Jul 2020 -- The situation in Iraq has been worsening in recent months, with more attacks taking place every week. One of the last ones occurred on 19 July, when two rockets fell near the US Embassy in Baghdad's Green Zone, where diplomatic missions are located.
- Iran's Exports To Iraq Drop 40 Percent In Second Quarter Radio Farda 26 Jul 2020 -- The Secretary-General of Iran-Iraq Joint Chamber of Commerce announced that the volume of Iran's non-oil exports to Iraq dropped forty percent in the second quarter of 2020.
- US-led Coalition Hands Control Over Seventh Military Base to Iraqi Forces Sputnik 25 Jul 2020 -- The day before, the Iraqi military stated that the Besmayah military base used by Spanish troops as part of the US-led coalitions' efforts in the fight against Daesh had been attacked by four short-range rockets.
- US-led forces withdraw from Iraqi military base near Baghdad Press TV 25 Jul 2020 -- The US-led military coalition, purportedly formed to fight the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, has officially handed over a military base south of the Iraqi capital Baghdad to the country's security forces.
- Rockets Hit Base of US-Led Coalition in Iraq, No Casualties Reported Sputnik 24 Jul 2020 -- The day before, a convoy carrying supplies to a US base in southern Iraq was targeted by two roadside bombs, Turkish media reported, citing an Iraqi police captain.
- Iraqi MP urges expulsion of all US forces, says 'slow drawdown' not acceptable Press TV 24 Jul 2020 -- While the US claims it plans to gradually reduce the number of its forces in Iraq, a senior Iraqi lawmaker has called the partial pullout unacceptable and urged the expulsion of all foreign troops.
- Company Established To Make Purchases On Iran's Behalf To Settle Iraq's $5 Billion Debt Radio Farda 24 Jul 2020 -- An Iranian trade official said Friday a company has been established in Iraq which will make purchases on behalf of the Iranian government to settle Baghdad's accumulated debts to Iran amounting to $5 billion.
- Twin bombings hit convoy carrying logistical aid for US forces Press TV 23 Jul 2020 -- A convoy carrying logistical support for American troops in southern Iraq has been struck by two roadside bombs in the second attack of its kind in less than two weeks.
- US-led coalition forces to withdraw from another military base in Iraq Press TV 23 Jul 2020 -- The US-led military coalition is preparing to evacuate troops from a military base southeast of the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, and hand the facility over to government troops.
- Turkey made no coordination with Iraq for military op in Kurdistan region: Foreign ministry Press TV 23 Jul 2020 -- The Iraqi Foreign Ministry has vehemently condemned an ongoing Turkish operation in the country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region against hideouts of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group, saying the cross-border offensive is being carried out without any coordination with the Baghdad government.
- Iraq to soon begin construction work on railway link to Iran: Iraqi official Press TV 23 Jul 2020 -- A senior Iraqi official says that work for a key rail link connecting the country to the neighboring Iran will begin in the very near future.
- Defeating Daesh Highlights of the Week July 22, 2020 CENTCOM 22 Jul 2020 -- Our partners in Iraq and Syria are leading the way to find and eliminate Daesh fighters and their finance, logistics, and media networks.
- Deputy Commander, CJTF-OIR, Provides Update From Baghdad on ISIS Threat and Coalition Activities DoD 22 Jul 2020 -- Major General Kenneth P. Ekman (USAF), deputy commander, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve; Commander Jessica McNulty (USN)
- Iran finalizes deals to rehabilitate, develop Iraq's power grid Press TV 22 Jul 2020 -- Iran and Iraq have finalized two agreements to rehabilitate and develop the Arab country's power grid, IRNA news agency on Wednesday cited Iranian Energy Minister Reza Ardakanian as saying.
- Assassination of General Soleimani flagrant violation of Iraq sovereignty: Speaker IRNA 22 Jul 2020 -- Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf in a tweet on Wednesday reiterated that assassination of anti-terror commander Lieutenant General Qasem Soleimani is a flagrant breach of Iraq sovereignty.
- Iran to strike back at U.S. over assassination of General: Supreme Leader ISNA 22 Jul 2020 -- The Prime Minister of Iraq, Mustafa al-Kadhimi met with the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution, Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.
- Iran's top security official: Harsher revenge awaits perpetrators of Gen. Soleimani's assassination Press TV 22 Jul 2020 -- Iran's top security official says harsher revenge awaits the perpetrators of the attack that killed senior Iranian anti-terrorism commander Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani and his companions.
- Iran Urges Iraq to 'Vigorously Pursue' Justice in Soleimani Assassination Case Sputnik 22 Jul 2020 -- Iranian authorities have already issued an arrest warrant against US President Donald Trump and three dozen other alleged conspirators in the plot to kill senior Revolutionary Guards commander Qasem Soleimani. Interpol has said it would refuse a red notice request for Trump, citing the case's "political" nature.
- Rouhani: Iraq PM visit to Iran milestone in bilateral ties Press TV 21 Jul 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani says the visit to Iran by Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi – the latter's first foreign trip in the capacity – will serve as a "milestone" in bilateral ties between the two neighbors.
- Iraqi PM in Tehran for high-level talks on first foreign visit Press TV 21 Jul 2020 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi is in Iran's capital Tehran for high-level talks with senior Iranian officials.
- Iraqi Prime Minister Arrives In Iran For First Official Visit Radio Farda 21 Jul 2020 -- Iraq's new prime minister who arrived in Tehran on Tuesday for his first official visit abroad is scheduled to meet with the Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.
- Leader: Iran to deal US 'counterblow' for Gen. Soleimani's assassination Press TV 21 Jul 2020 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says Iran will never forget Washington's assassination in Iraq of Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani and will definitely deliver a "counterblow" to the United States.
- Khamenei Tells Iraqi PM: 'We Will Strike Back At US' For Soleimani's 'Assassination' Radio Farda 21 Jul 2020 -- In his first public meeting since the onset of the coronavirus crisis in February, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei met with Iraq's visiting Prime Minister Mostafa Al-Kadhimi in Tehran on Tuesday July 21.
- Iraqi lawmaker slams Turkey's plan to create buffer zone in northern Iraq Press TV 20 Jul 2020 -- A senior Iraqi legislator has denounced the ongoing Turkish cross-border offensive in the country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region against hideouts of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group, saying Ankara plans to create a buffer zone in northern Iraq similar to the one already established in the northern part of Syria.
- Iraq's Premier Cancels Visit To Saudi Arabia As King Salman Taken To Hospital Radio Farda 20 Jul 2020 -- The visit of Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi to Saudi Arabia has been postponed after the hospitalization of King Salman, the Saudi foreign minister said on Monday.
- Iraqi Kurdistan no staging ground for anti-Iran attacks: Barzani Press TV 19 Jul 2020 -- Senior Kurdish political leader Masoud Barzani has given Iran an assurance that the Iraqi Kurdistan region will never be used to threaten the Islamic Republic's interests.
- US Embassy vicinity in Baghdad rocked by rockets Press TV 19 Jul 2020 -- Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone has seen another day of uninvited guests in the form of Katyusha rockets as three of them landed near the US Embassy.
- Two Rockets Fall Near US Embassy Inside Baghdad's Green Zone, Source Says Sputnik 19 Jul 2020 -- Two rockets fell on Sunday near the US embassy inside Baghdad's so-called green zone, which houses heavily fortified government facilities and foreign diplomatic missions, a source in the Iraqi security services said.
- Iran, Iraq call for respecting nat'l sovereignty IRNA 19 Jul 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and Speaker of Iraq's Council of Representatives Mohamed al-Halbousi in a meeting on Sunday emphasized respecting Iraq's national sovereignty.
- Iranian FM, PMU chief review recent issues in region IRNA 19 Jul 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and the chairman of Hashd al-Shaabi, aka Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), Falih al-Fayyadh met to examine the recent regional developments, as well as issues of mutual interest.
- Zarif says Iran, Iraq should get prepared against terrorist threats IRNA 19 Jul 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday that Iran and Iraq should get prepared against security threats, including the threats posed by terrorist groups such as Daesh.
- Iran, Iraq FMs hold talks in Baghdad ISNA 19 Jul 2020 -- Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran Mohammad Javad Zarif and his Iraqi counterpart Fuad Hussein held two rounds of meetings in Baghdad on Sunday.
- FM Zarif in Iraq to discuss regional security, US assassination of Gen. Soleimani Press TV 19 Jul 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has traveled to Baghdad ahead of Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi's visit to Tehran on his first foreign trip.
- Zarif Arrives In Baghdad Two Days Before Iraqi Premier's Visit To Tehran Radio Farda 19 Jul 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has arrived in Baghdad for a visit weeks after a new prime minister was appointed in Iraq, who seems to have a tougher stance toward Iran's proxy militias is scheduled to visit Tehran on July 21.
- Iran's Zarif In Baghdad As Iraq Seeks To Balance Regional Ties RFE/RL 19 Jul 2020 -- Iran's foreign minister has held a series of meetings with top officials in Baghdad as Iraq's new prime minister seeks to balance complex regional ties.
- US Efforts to Deal Islamic State 'Enduring Defeat' on Hold VOA 16 Jul 2020 -- Hopes of delivering the Islamic State a lasting defeat in Iraq and Syria have, for now, fallen by the wayside, according to officials with the U.S.-led coalition, despite a ramped-up crackdown on the terror group's network of cells and facilitators.
- Statement on U.S./Iraq/GCC Cooperation US Dept. of State 16 Jul 2020 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America, the Republic of Iraq and the Gulf Cooperation Council.
- Iraq: ISIL's acts of terror 'divorced from the values of all faiths' UN News 16 Jul 2020 -- Religious leaders from communities across Iraq called for greater "healing and reconciliation" during a UN-organized event on Thursday, reaffirming their commitment to support survivors of crimes perpetrated by ISIL terrorist fighters.
- Explosion targets another US logistic convoy in Iraq: Local media Press TV 16 Jul 2020 -- An explosion has targeted a US logistic convoy carrying logistic supplies in Iraq's north-central province of Salahuddin, the second such incident in less than a week.
- VOA Exclusive: CENTCOM Chief Says US Can Do Job in Iraq with Fewer Forces VOA 15 Jul 2020 -- The United States can keep pressure on the Islamic State terror group and build Iraq's military capacity with fewer U.S. troops on the ground, the top commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East told VOA in an exclusive interview.
- The United States and Six Member States of TFTC Target ISIS-Linked Financial Network US Dept. of State 15 Jul 2020 -- The United States works closely with its allies in the Middle East and around the world to combat the scourge of terrorism.
- Terrorist Financing Targeting Center Sanctions Network of ISIS-Linked Financial Facilitators and Money Services Businesses US Treasury 15 Jul 2020 -- Today, the seven member nations of the Terrorist Financing Targeting Center (TFTC) jointly designated six targets affiliated with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). Three entities and one individual located in Turkey and Syria have provided a critical financial and logistical lifeline to ISIS, its branches, and its global facilitation networks. Additionally, an Afghanistan-based organization, Nejaat Social Welfare Organization, and the organization's director, Sayed Habib Ahmad Khan, abused the goodwill of the international community under the auspices of charitable giving to facilitate the transfer of funds for and to support the activities of ISIS's branch in Afghanistan, ISIS-Khorasan (ISIS-K).
- Turkish military forces deployed over dozen kilometers into northern Iraq: Top lawmaker Press TV 14 Jul 2020 -- The head of the security and defense committee at the Iraqi parliament has condemned Ankara's ongoing cross-border operation in the country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region against hideouts of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group, stating that Turkish forces are now deployed more than a dozen kilometers into the area.
- Kataib Hezbollah vows to drive US troops out of Iraq Press TV 13 Jul 2020 -- A security official for Iraq's Kataib Hezbollah has reiterated the resistance group's readiness to end the US military presence in Iraq.
- Five Daesh suicide bombers, two security forces killed in operation near Baghdad Press TV 13 Jul 2020 -- The Iraqi military says five Daesh suicide bombers and two security members have been killed during the Iraqi forces' raid against a hideout near the Arab country's capital of Baghdad.
- Militants Attack Supply Convoy On Its Way to US Base in Iraq - Security Source Sputnik 12 Jul 2020 -- A supply convoy headed to a US military base in Iraq came under attack, an Iraqi security source said.
- US military convoy blown up in Iraq's Diwaniyah: Reports Press TV 11 Jul 2020 -- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement has agreed to provide the United Nations with access to an abandoned oil tanker that risks causing environmental disaster off the western coast of the country.
- Iranian companies sign Development contract of joint oilfield with Iraq IRNA 11 Jul 2020 -- Iranian companies on Saturday signed contract for development of Yaran joint oil field with Iraq.
- Iran's Kurdish Sufis Dash Into Iraq for Funeral, Exposing COVID Border Control Deficiencies VOA 10 Jul 2020 -- Hundreds of Iranian Kurdish members of a Muslim sect seeking to attend the funeral of their leader in neighboring Iraq have forced their way through a crossing into Iraqi territory, exposing a weakness in Iranian and Iraqi border controls aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus.
- US general: American forces to stay in Iraq for foreseeable future Press TV 09 Jul 2020 -- A top US general says American forces will remain in Iraq for the foreseeable future amid calls for their expulsion from the Arab country.
- Iraqi president censures Turkish 'military violation' of Iraqi soil Press TV 09 Jul 2020 -- Iraqi President Barham Salih has censured Turkey's ongoing cross-border operation in the Arab country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region against hideouts of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group, describing the offensive as a "military violation" of Iraqi soil.
- Iran-linked Militia Accused of Killing Key Iraqi Researcher VOA 08 Jul 2020 -- Weeks before he was fatally shot in Baghdad, Husham al-Hashimi, a prominent Iraqi writer and leading expert on extremist groups, sought advice from a friend after allegedly receiving a chilling message from Iran-backed Kataib Hezbollah (KH).
- Top US general predicts limited military presence in Iraq Press TV 08 Jul 2020 -- The head of US Central Command says he is confident that the Iraqi government wants a small amount of US troops to remain in the Arab country for the foreseeable future.
- Iraq reopens border to Iranian goods after three months Press TV 08 Jul 2020 -- A key border for entry of Iranian goods into Iraq has reopened after more than three months of closure to combat the new coronavirus.
- Pompeo Condemns Killing Of Iraqi Expert As Iran Vows To Help Syrian Air Defenses Radio Farda 08 Jul 2020 -- As the burial of a well-known Iraqi jihadism expert turned into a protest in Baghdad against Iran-linked groups on Tuesday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo demanded justice over his killing by masked gunmen on Wednesday.
- US plotting soft coup against Hashd al-Sha'abi forces in Iraq: Lawmaker Press TV 07 Jul 2020 -- An Iraqi legislator warns that the United States is fomenting a soft coup against Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known by the Arabic word Hashd al-Sha'abi, stating Washington is trying to constrain the role of the anti-terror forces.
- Iran Condemns Assassination Of Iraqi Counter-Terrorism Expert In Baghdad Radio Farda 07 Jul 2020 -- In a statement on Monday evening, the Iranian Embassy in Baghdad condemned the assassination of Iraqi historian and researcher of jihadi groups, Hisham al-Hashimi in Baghdad.
- Iran condemns assassination of Iraqi researcher in security, strategic affairs ISNA 07 Jul 2020 -- Iran's embassy in Baghdad in a statement condemned assassination of Hisham al-Hashemi, an Iraqi researcher in security and strategic affairs.
- Leading Iraqi security expert shot dead in Baghdad Press TV 07 Jul 2020 -- A leading Iraqi security analyst and government advisor has been shot dead outside his home in the capital Baghdad, sparking public anger and a wave of condemnations from the country's senior officials.
- Prominent Iraqi Analyst Shot Dead After Pro-Iran Militia Threats RFE/RL 07 Jul 2020 -- A leading Iraqi political analyst was assassinated on July 6 outside his home in Baghdad after receiving threats from Iran-backed militias.
- Katyusha rocket fired at US base in Baghdad airport: Report Press TV 06 Jul 2020 -- Reports say a Katyusha rocket has been fired at a "US base" inside the Baghdad International Airport.
- Iraq Denies Reports of Rocket Attack on the Baghdad International Airport Sputnik 06 Jul 2020 -- In the early hours of Monday reports emerged that Baghdad International Airport had been hit by a rocket attack although there were no reports of injuries or explosions in the area.
- Iraq officially protests Turkey's cross-border offensive Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- The Iraqi government has expressed its official protest at Turkey's attacks against the Arab country's north, saying the offensive must immediately stop.
- Rocket lands near Baghdad's Green Zone, injures child: Iraqi military Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- A rocket has struck a home near the heavily fortified Green Zone in the Iraqi capital Baghdad, which houses some of the main government offices and foreign diplomatic missions, including the US Embassy.
- Rocket Attack Targets Baghdad's Green Zone VOA 05 Jul 2020 -- A rocket attack Sunday targeted Baghdad's Green Zone, home to a number of embassies, including that of the United States.
- Iraq threatens to sever trade ties with Turkey over cross-border operation Press TV 03 Jul 2020 -- Iraq has threatened to cut off its trade ties with Turkey in protest at Ankara's ongoing cross-border operation in the country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region against hideouts of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group.
- Turkish Drone Strike Leaves Civilian Casualties VOA 02 Jul 2020 -- Ceiling and concrete walls are all that is left of a grocery store owned by a young Kurdish couple here in this riverside, tourist village in northern Iraq.
- Coronavirus response: Turkey delivers critical aid to Iraq NATO 02 Jul 2020 -- On 30 June 2020, as part of Allied support in response to COVID-19, Turkey delivered critical medical supplies to the Iraqi people as a sign of solidarity between two neighbouring countries.
- Iraqi prime minister hails Hashd al-Sha'abi counter-terrorism efforts Press TV 02 Jul 2020 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi has praised the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known as Hashd al-Sha'abi, for their key role in defeating the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the Arab country.
- Defeating Daesh Highlights of the Week July 1, 2020 CENTCOM 01 Jul 2020 -- Our partners in Iraq and Syria are leading the way to find and eliminate Daesh fighters and their finance, logistics, and media networks.
- Iran's Rough Road In Iraq Radio Farda 01 Jul 2020 -- Iran's influence in Iraq through proxy groups appears to be facing serious challenges as the new Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kazemi is trying to control pro-Iranian Shiite militia groups, while some shift their loyalty from Iran to Ayatollah Ali Sistani.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list