Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2020 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- US seeks to prolong military presence in Iraq through raids on PMU bases: Lawmaker Press TV 30 Jun 2020 -- An Iraqi legislator and leader of the State of Law Coalition has denounced the recent raid on a headquarters of the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known by the Arabic word Hashd al-Sha'abi, in southern Baghdad, saying the United States is seeking to prolong its military presence in the country through such bids.
- Iraq frees 14 PMU members detained in 'US-dictated' raid Press TV 29 Jun 2020 -- Iraq has released more than a dozen members of Popular Mobilization Units, better known as Hashd al-Shaabi, a few days after an unprecedented raid on the headquarters of Kata'ib Hezbollah, which is said to have been dictated by the US.
- Kurdish Militia Groups Say Turkey Establishing Military Bases in Northern Iraq, Reports Claim Sputnik 28 Jun 2020 -- Kurdish militia groups have accused Turkey of establishing military bases in northern Iraq as part of Ankara's ongoing offensive against the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), the Al Arabiya broadcaster reports on Sunday.
- Iraqi Forces Raid Iranian-Backed Militia's HQ Near Baghdad RFE/RL 26 Jun 2020 -- Iraqi security forces have raided the headquarters of an Iran-backed militia near Baghdad, seizing rockets and detaining more than a dozen pro-Iran fighters.
- Iraqi Security Says Arrested Group Planned Attack on Baghdad's Green Zone, Reports Say Sputnik 26 Jun 2020 -- A group detained by the Iraqi security services during a recent night raid has been preparing attacks on governmental facilitates in Baghdad's so-called green zone, the Iraqi News Agency (INA) reported on Friday, citing the Iraqi armed forces' joint command.
- Defeating Daesh Highlights of the Week June 24, 2020 CENTCOM 24 Jun 2020 -- Our partners in Iraq and Syria are leading the way to find and eliminate Daesh fighters and their finance, logistics, and media networks.
- Coalition Aircraft Destroys Islamic State Camps in Iraq VOA 21 Jun 2020 -- The U.S. military's Central Command says three known Islamic State hiding places have been destroyed in rural Iraq.
- Turkey Deploys More Troops to Northern Iraq for New Anti-Kurdish Offensive Sputnik 21 Jun 2020 -- Turkish Ministry of National Defence announced on Sunday sending additional special operations forces to the north of Iraq where Turkey's Operation Claw-Tiger is underway against Kurdish forces.
- Iraq Doesn't Want Quick Withdrawal of US Troops, US General Claims Sputnik 19 Jun 2020 -- At the beginning of the year the Iraqi parliament voted in favour of a plan that would end the US military presence in the country. The vote came in response to the killing of top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani in a US drone strike in the capital Baghdad. The move received harsh condemnation from the international community.
- Iraq summons Turkish envoy again to protest military op, demand troop withdrawal Press TV 18 Jun 2020 -- The Iraqi Foreign Ministry has once again called in the Turkish ambassador to express its strong protest over a military operation by Turkish forces in the country's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, and to demand that Ankara immediately halt its assaults there.
- Rockets hit heavily fortified Green Zone in Iraqi capital Baghdad Press TV 18 Jun 2020 -- Rockets have struck an area at the heavily fortified Green Zone in the Iraqi capital city of Baghdad, which houses some of the main government offices and foreign diplomatic missions, including the US Embassy.
- Turkey Says It Struck 500 Kurdish Militant Targets In Northern Iraq Radio Farda 18 Jun 2020 -- Turkey's Defense Ministry says the country's military has struck more than 500 Kurdish militant targets in northern Iraq during an operation in the region against the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK).
- Iraq To Pay Its Debts To Iran By Exporting Food And Medicine Radio Farda 18 Jun 2020 -- After an eight-hour trip to Iraq June 17, the Governor of the Central Bank of Iran (CBI), Abdolnasser Hemmati, announced that Baghdad had agreed to settle its gas and electricity-related debts to Tehran by providing food and medicine to Iran.
- Turkey Launches New Military Operation Against PKK in Northern Iraq, Defence Ministry Announces Sputnik 17 Jun 2020 -- Turkey has launched new military operation Claw-Tiger in the northern Iraqi region of Haftanin against forces of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) and "other terrorist elements", the Defence Ministry said on Wednesday.
- Turkey sends special forces into Iraq 'against PKK militants' despite Baghdad's outrage Press TV 17 Jun 2020 -- Turkey says it has deployed special forces – backed by aerial and artillery support – to a northern Iraqi region in what it calls an operation against the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group, despite Baghdad's outrage over Ankara's increased military activities on Iraqi soil.
- Coronavirus response: Poland delivers medical aid to Iraq NATO 16 Jun 2020 -- Today (16 June 2020), the Office of the President of the Republic of Poland donated 50,000 protective face masks to Iraq's health authorities, following Iraq's request for support in response to the COVID-19 global pandemic.
- Task Force Dragon Mission Roars to a Finish CENTCOM 16 Jun 2020 -- "Task Force Dragon," the Royal Danish Army contingent with Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve, concluded its Iraqi Border Guard training mission in Iraq, June 11, 2020 at Al Asad Air Base.
- Iraq condemns Turkish violation of its airspace to hit PKK positions in Kurdistan region Press TV 15 Jun 2020 -- Iraq has denounced recent Turkish violation of its airspace to target a refugee camp in the Arab country's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region as a flagrant violation of its sovereignty.
- UAE finances anti-Turkey PKK terrorists in northern Iraq: Report Press TV 15 Jun 2020 -- A report says the United Arab Emirates has allegedly provided financial support to the anti-Turkey PKK militant group in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Turkey launches airstrikes against PKK targets in northern Iraq Press TV 15 Jun 2020 -- Turkish jet fighters have launched an operation against Kurdish militant targets in northern Iraq, according to Turkey's Defense Ministry.
- Iraq: UN probe into ISIL atrocities making 'real progress', Security Council hears UN News 15 Jun 2020 -- The special UN Investigative Team probing ISIL atrocities in Iraq is making "real progress," its chief said on Monday, as it begins to pinpoint the perpetrators of some of the worst crimes committed by the terrorist group during its years-long occupation of large swathes of the country.
- Iraq tells Iran it will stick to commitments on OPEC+ supply cuts: IRNA Press TV 15 Jun 2020 -- Iraq's oil minister Ihsan Abdul Jabbar Ismail has said that his country would stick to commitments made to an alliance of international oil producers to reduce its supplies to the international markets.
- Two rockets hit US-occupied Taji base in Iraq Press TV 13 Jun 2020 -- The rockets were launched north of Baghdad and did not cause any damage to the Taji base, the Iraqi security forces said in a statement.
- Iraqi Base Hosting US Troops Comes Under Missile Attack, Report Says Sputnik 13 Jun 2020 -- In March, more than 15 medium-sized missiles hit the Taji base. Three soldiers died and 12 more were injured as a result of the attack.
- US Confirms Plans to Further Reduce Number of Troops in Iraq Sputnik 12 Jun 2020 -- The United States has confirmed its plans to further decrease the number of servicemen deployed to Iraq, the joint statement of the governments of the United States and Iraq said.
- Baghdad, Washington affirm commitment to US troop withdrawal, Iraqi premier says Press TV 12 Jun 2020 -- Iraq's Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi says Baghdad and Washington have affirmed their commitment to the withdrawal of US troops from the Arab country, months after Iraqi lawmakers passed a resolution calling on the government to end all foreign troop presence.
- US, Iraq Affirm Their Commitment to US Troop Withdrawal VOA 12 Jun 2020 -- The United States and Iraq have affirmed their commitment to the reduction of the number of U.S. troops in Iraq, without giving a timeline.
- Joint Statement on the U.S.-Iraq Strategic Dialogue US Dept. of State 11 Jun 2020 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America and the Republic of Iraq.
- US allies halve number of troops in Iraq coalition: Report Press TV 11 Jun 2020 -- Members of the 29-country US-led military coalition in Iraq have cut the number of their troops in half, a report by the New York Times says.
- Text of a Letter from the President to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President pro tempore of the Senate The White House 09 Jun 2020 -- "I am providing this supplemental consolidated report, prepared by my Administration and consistent with the War Powers Resolution (Public Law 93-148), as part of my efforts to keep the Congress informed about deployments of United States Armed Forces equipped for combat."
- Iraqi PMU hits major command center of Daesh Press TV 09 Jun 2020 -- Iraq' Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) says it has hit and destroyed a major command center of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group in an offensive in the north-central parts of the Arab country.
- Iraq's PMF Destroys Daesh Stronghold Allegedly Used by Iraq Group Leader, Militia's Spokesman Says Sputnik 09 Jun 2020 -- Iraq's Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF), an umbrella grouping of Shia armed militias also known as Hashd al-Shaabi, in cooperation with the country's security service, have liquidated a large Daesh stronghold in the country's north allegedly used by the group's leader in Iraq, PMF spokesman Ali Hashem al-Husseini said on Tuesday.
- Rocket hits area near Baghdad Airport: Iraq military Press TV 08 Jun 2020 -- A rocket has landed in an area near Baghdad International Airport, the Iraqi military says.
- Negotiation futile unless withdrawal of US troops from Iraq realized: Nujaba official Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- A senior official with Harakat Hezbollah al-Nujaba, whose group is part of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), has warned against granting concessions to the United States in the forthcoming negotiations between Baghdad and Washington, stating that any talks that would not result in the pullout of US troops are rejected.
- Islamic State Deadlier Than COVID-19 in Parts of Iraq VOA 06 Jun 2020 -- With the spread of the novel coronavirus in Iraq and a recent spike in the number of registered cases, Iraqis have wondered how to compare the deadly new threat with a more familiar foe: Islamic State.
- Security forces launch major anti-IS offensive in Iraq Global Times 03 Jun 2020 -- The Iraqi security forces on Tuesday launched a major offensive to hunt down Islamic State (IS) militants in the provinces of Kirkuk and Salahudin, the Iraqi military said.
- Spain to Withdraw Troops From Iraqi Military Base in July as Mission Now Complete, Reports Say Sputnik 01 Jun 2020 -- Spain is planning to withdraw in late July its troops from the Gran Capitan military base in the Iraqi city of Bismayah, which is Madrid's most important base in the Middle Eastern country, as troops have completed their mission to train Iraqi security forces, El Pais newspaper reported on Monday, citing military sources.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list