Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2020 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iraq Reports 416 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 29 May 2020 -- Iraq reported today 416 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), as the highest infections toll reported during 24 hours, in the country since the outbreak of the pandemic, bringing the total number of infections to 5,873 cases.
- Daesh's Iraq Head Killed in US Coalition Airstrike in Syria, Iraqi Anti-Terrorism Service Says Sputnik 26 May 2020 -- Mouataz al-Jabouri, an who heads militants associated with the Daesh* terrorist group in Iraq, has been killed in an attack carried out by the US-led international coalition in northeastern Syria, a spokesman of the Iraqi Counter Terrorism Service (CTS) said on Tuesday.
- US military presence in Iraq aimed at protecting Israel's security, interests: PMU leader Press TV 25 May 2020 -- A high-ranking official with Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, has strongly denounced US military presence in his country, saying such a deployment is meant to safeguard the security and interests of the Israeli regime.
- Iraq's New PM Was Once Critical of Country Seen as 'Iran's Backyard' VOA 22 May 2020 -- Before he held political office, Iraq's recently elected Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi was a strong critic of his predecessors for turning the country into "Iran's backyard" in the eyes of other nations.
- Iraqi Intelligence Says Qardash Was in Charge of Making Chemical Weapons to Attack Military Sputnik 21 May 2020 -- Prior to his arrest, Abdullah Qardash, one of the senior leaders of Daesh* and a rumoured successor to ex-leader Abu Bakr Baghdadi, was in charge of manufacturing chemical warfare agents to attack Iraqi troops, a press office of Iraq's Intelligence Service said on Thursday.
- Iraqi Intelligence Announces Arrest of Purported Successor to Ex-Daesh Leader al-Baghdadi - Report Sputnik 20 May 2020 -- US President Donald Trump in October 2019 announced that former Daesh leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi had been killed as a result of a US military operation.
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Stabilization of Iraq The White House 20 May 2020
- Text of a Letter from the President to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate The White House 20 May 2020
- Rocket hits area near US embassy in Baghdad's Green Zone Press TV 19 May 2020 -- A rocket has hit an area near the US embassy in Baghdad's Green Zone, security sources say.
- Rocket Attack Hits House in Baghdad's Green Zone, No Casualties Reported Sputnik 18 May 2020 -- A rocket landed on an empty house in the Green Zone near the US embassy in Baghdad early on Tuesday morning.
- Khamenei Threatens The US With Expulsion From Iraq And Syria Radio Farda 18 May 2020 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei says the United States will be "expelled from Iraq and Syria," adding that "The U.S. government's long-term performance has led to abhorrence by a major part of the world."
- Ayatollah Khamenei: Americans support terrorists, will be expelled from Syria and Iraq Press TV 17 May 2020 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says due to its support for terrorists, the US is hated in most parts of the world and will be soon expelled from Syria and Iraq, where it is illegally present in the two Arab countries.
- US Will Be 'Expelled From Iraq and Syria', Iran's Supreme Leader Says Sputnik 17 May 2020 -- The situation between Iran and the United States almost escalated into a full conflict after a US drone strike killed top Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani in Baghdad in January, prompting Tehran to retaliate by firing ballistic missiles at two bases in Iraq hosting US forces.
- Supreme Leader: US to be expelled from Iraq, Syria IRNA 17 May 2020 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Sunday that the US government's long-term performance has led to its being abhorred by a major part of the world and the Americans won't stay in Iraq and Syria; they'll be expelled.
- Iraq launches massive operation against Daesh near Syria border Press TV 17 May 2020 -- Iraq's Armed Forces have launched a new military operation against the Daesh terrorist group covering the provinces of Anbar, Nineveh and Salahuddin to the Syrian border.
- Iraqi army, police launch anti-Daesh operation in Diyala province Press TV 16 May 2020 -- Iraqi army troops and police forces of Diyala province have launched a joint counterterrorism operation in the eastern parts of the country.
- Former Iraqi minister: Iran to remain key energy source despite US pressure Press TV 16 May 2020 -- Iraq's former electricity minister says neighboring Iran will remain a key source of energy to the Arab country for years to come until suitable alternatives materialize.
- Data on Islamic State Attacks Could be Masking Growing Problem, Some Fear VOA 13 May 2020 -- Across Iraq and Syria there is a growing sense of unease that when it comes to the Islamic State terror group, data showing the jihadist force on its heels should not be trusted.
- Activists: Iraq's Kurdish Region Becomes Less Safe for Iranian Dissidents VOA 13 May 2020 -- Long hailed as a haven for minority groups, Iraq's northern autonomous Kurdistan region has turned into treacherous territory for many Iranian dissidents and refugees escaping persecution from Iranian authorities, rights activists say.
- Daesh Continues Low-Level Insurgency, Unable to Gain Ground in Iraq, Syria - Pentagon Sputnik 13 May 2020 -- The Daesh* terrorist group wages a low-level insurgency in Iraq and Syria but is unable to gain and hold territory despite decreased counteractions amid the coronavirus pandemic, Inspector General for Operation Inherent Resolve said in a quarterly report on Wednesday.
- Political will 'fundamental' to realizing a more just and prosperous Iraq: UN envoy UN News 12 May 2020 -- Despite compounding crises that include the COVID-19 pandemic and plummeting oil revenues, a more prosperous and inclusive Iraq can be achieved provided the political will is there, the top UN official in the country told the Security Council during a virtual meeting held on Tuesday.
- Iraq's independence, political stability of high importance to Iran: President Rouhani Press TV 11 May 2020 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says the Islamic Republic attaches great importance to independence and political stability of Iraq, adding that Tehran will continue to stand by Baghdad in line with both countries' interests.
- Iraq Targets Iran-Aligned Militia Over Shooting Death Of Protester RFE/RL 11 May 2020 -- Iraqi security forces have raided the office of an Iran-aligned party in the southern province of Basra and arrested militiamen who fired on demonstrators, killing one protester and injuring several others outside the party building.
- New Iraqi PM Orders Jailed Protesters Freed VOA 10 May 2020 -- Iraqi courts have freed jailed anti-government protesters, carrying out one of the first major orders from the new prime minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi.
- Iraq's PMU forces kill Daesh top leader in Diyala, thwart infiltration in Anbar Press TV 10 May 2020 -- Iraq's pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), known in Arabic as Hashd al-Sha'abi, says its anti-terror fighters have killed a top leader of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in eastern province of Diyala.
- Newly Appointed Iraqi PM Meets with US and Iran Ambassadors VOA 10 May 2020 -- Iraq's new prime minister, Mustafa al-Kadhimi, chaired his first cabinet meeting Saturday after being sworn in earlier in the week.
- Who is Iraq's new Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi? Al Arabiya 09 May 2020 -- After five months, and two failed attempts to form a government in Iraq, the country has a new Prime Minister, Mustafa al-Khadhimi – a former intelligence chief and journalist.
- NATO Secretary General restresses NATO's continued cooperation with Iraq in phone call with new Iraq Prime Minister NATO 08 May 2020 -- Today (8 May 2020), NATO's Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg held a phone call with new Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kadhimi. The Secretary General congratulated him on his appointment and parliamentary confirmation.
- Iraq: Guterres welcomes new Prime Minister, calls for 'meaningful' reforms UN News 07 May 2020 -- UN Secretary-General António Guterres and his Special Representative in Iraq, welcomed the long-delayed formation of a new Government in Baghdad on Thursday and called for meaningful reforms to be put into place to better the lives of the Iraqi people and strengthen democratic institutions.
- US Extends Iran Sanctions Waiver For New Iraqi Government, Pledges Support Radio Farda 07 May 2020 -- Iraq has succeeded forming a government after months of instability, and the United States welcomed the move by extending a waiver on Iran sanctions to ease pressure on the new leader.
- Iraqi territory won't be used as launching ground against others: Al-Kadhimi Press TV 07 May 2020 -- Iraq's new Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi says his country would never allow outsiders to use the Arab country's territory for any act of aggression against others.
- Iraqi MPs approve al-Kadhimi's cabinet, ending months of deadlock Press TV 07 May 2020 -- The Iraqi parliament has approved the government of Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, ending six months of political deadlock in the Arab country.
- Iraq's Former Spy Chief Takes Office as Prime Minister VOA 07 May 2020 -- Iraq swore in a new prime minister Thursday, ending a five-month period of squabbling among its political blocs.
- Secretary Pompeo's Call with Iraqi Prime Minister Kadhimi US Dept. of State 06 May 2020
- Iraq reports 85 new cases of COVID-19 Global Times 06 May 2020 -- The Iraqi Health Ministry on Tuesday confirmed four more deaths and 85 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections to 2,431 in the country.
- Iranian, Iraqi Fighters Reported Killed In Israeli Air Strikes In Syria RFE/RL 05 May 2020 -- Israeli air strikes in eastern Syria have killed 14 Iranian and Iraqi fighters, a group monitoring the Syrian war says.
- RAF bombs Iraq for second time in a month Press TV 05 May 2020 -- The Royal Air Force (RAF) has carried out a bombing raid in northern Iraq under the guise of combating the terrorist group Daesh.
- Iraq will purchase Russian missile system if US does not provide modern armaments: Lawmaker Press TV 05 May 2020 -- A senior Iraqi lawmaker says his country will buy long-range surface-to-air S-300 or S-400 air defense missile systems from Russia in a bid to update its own defense infrastructure in case Washington does not help Baghdad in getting modern armaments.
- Iraq mounts counter-terrorism operations amid warnings of US-Daesh plot to split region Press TV 05 May 2020 -- Iraqi army troops and allied fighters from Popular Mobilization Forces – known as Hashd al-Sha'abi – have conducted fresh operations against Daesh militants amid warnings of collaboration between the United States and remnants of the Takfiri terror outfit in the country.
- US forces transport imprisoned Daesh terrorists from Syria to Iraq: SANA Press TV 04 May 2020 -- US forces have reportedly transported an unspecified number of imprisoned members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the northeastern province of Hasaka to their occupied bases in Iraq.
- PMU repels several Daesh attacks as report warns of US-Saudi scheme to revive group Press TV 04 May 2020 -- The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has launched several attacks across Iraq as the Kata'ib Hezbollah resistance group warns of a Saudi-US plan to revive the group.
- US using Daesh attacks as pretext to extend its Iraq presence: Asa'ib chief Press TV 02 May 2020 -- A senior commander of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units says the recent Daesh attacks on PMU positions are part of a US plot to extend the American troops' presence in Iraq.
- Major resistance group warns about US plot to transfer Daesh terrorists into Iraq Press TV 02 May 2020 -- A major Iraqi resistance group has warned about a fiendish plot by the United States to transfer members and field commanders of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group from neighboring Syria to the Arab country.
- Daesh attack kills 10 Hashd al-Sha'abi forces in Iraq Press TV 02 May 2020 -- At least 10 Iraqi fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), also known as Hashd al-Sha'abi, have been killed in an attack by the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Iraq's Salahuddin Province.
- IS Militants Kill 10 Iraqi Militiamen in Most Lethal Attack in Months VOA 02 May 2020 -- Ten Iraqi Shi'ite "Hushd" militiamen were killed early Saturday in an Islamic State (IS) attack on their positions in Salahuddin province. The attack comes as the country's prime minister-designate prepares to present his new government to parliament this coming week.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list