Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2020 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- US-Led Coalition Conducts 28 Strikes in Iraq, Syria in March Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- The US-Led coalition has carried out 28 airstrikes against Daesh in March, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve (CJTF-OIR) said in a release on Thursday.
- Russia ready to sell Iraq S-400 missile systems upon Baghdad request: Ambassador Press TV 30 Apr 2020 -- Russian Ambassador to Iraq Maksim Maksimov says Moscow is prepared to provide Baghdad with advanced S-400 air defense missile systems once the Arab country makes an official request for the military hardware.
- U.S. Extends Waiver For Iranian Energy To Baghdad, But Pressure Mounts RFE/RL 27 Apr 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has reportedly granted a fresh extension on a waiver to let Iraq import electricity from neighboring Iran as efforts continue to form a lasting government in Baghdad, but possibly for a shorter period to press the Iraqi administration into greater action.
- Oil dispute between Iraqi government, Kurdish rulers flares again Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- Iraq has ordered the finance ministry to stop funding to the country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region amid an oil spat between the two sides, media reports say.
- US renews Iraq waiver to import electricity from Iran Press TV 26 Apr 2020 -- The United States has renewed a waiver for Iraq to continue importing electricity from neighboring Iran.
- Iraq serious about US troops pullout, negotiations will start next June: Spokesman Press TV 26 Apr 2020 -- The spokesman for the Commander-in-Chief of the Iraqi Armed Forces says the Baghdad government is serious about implementation of the parliament's resolution concerning the withdrawal of US forces from the country.
- Pompeo Renews US Waiver for Iraq to Import Electricity From Iran for 30 Days – Report Sputnik 26 Apr 2020 -- Following the 2018 unilateral withdrawal of the US from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and the reimposition of sanctions against Iran, Washington has been issuing special waivers that permit some countries and companies to conduct business with Tehran.
- Daesh member goes on trial in Germany for genocide of Izadis, war crimes Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- A man believed to have been a member of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has gone on trial in Germany for crimes against the Izadi minority group, as well as killing a five-year-old girl.
- Iraq Has To Import Gas And Electricity From Iran For Years, Says Minister Radio Farda 25 Apr 2020 -- With just two days remaining to the expiration of a thirty-day U.S. waiver to import Iranian gas and electricity, the Iraqi Minister of Electricity says it will take three to four years for the country to stop importing energy from Iran.
- Army announces upcoming 2nd BCT, 82nd Airborne Division, unit rotation US Army 23 Apr 2020 -- The Department of the Army announced today the upcoming summer 2020 rotation to Iraq of the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina this summer.
- China hands medical aid to Iraqi military to contain COVID-19 PLA Daily 23 Apr 2020 -- Chinese Ambassador to Iraq Zhang Tao on Wednesday handed medical aid to Iraqi Ministry of Defense to fight COVID-19.
- Nobody Will Survive if Pandemic Spreads in Iraq's IDP Camps - Official Sputnik 23 Apr 2020 -- Iraq's internally displaced persons might have survived Daesh*, but they have zero chances of completely fighting off the COVID-19 pandemic that continues to spread throughout the war-torn country, warns an official who has been working with IDPs since 2016. Certain obstacles make matters worse, but IDPs are determined to keep the virus at bay.
- Iraq warns of Daesh attempt to exploit virus outbreak, renew terror campaign Press TV 23 Apr 2020 -- Iraq has warned that the Daesh Takfiri group could exploit a coronavirus outbreak in the country –which has been the main focus of the government and the army – and renew its campaign of terrorism.
- US main stumbling block to Iraq's possession of advanced air defense systems: Lawmaker Press TV 23 Apr 2020 -- A member of the Iraqi parliament's security and defense committee has blamed the United States for opposing Baghdad's acquisition of sophisticated air defense missile systems to protect its airspace against any possible act of aggression.
- Third batch of Chinese aid arrives in Baghdad to assist COVID-19 fight Global Times 21 Apr 2020 -- The third batch of Chinese medical aid arrived on Monday in Baghdad as part of China's assistance to boost Iraq's capability to contain the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Iraqi air force kills 14 Daesh terrorists in north-central province Press TV 21 Apr 2020 -- Iraqi fighter jets have pounded the positions of the remnants of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group in Iraq's north-central province of Salahuddin, killing more than a dozen extremists there.
- Iraqi parliament demands Baghdad's procurement of Russia's S-400 missile system Press TV 18 Apr 2020 -- The Iraqi parliament's security and defense committee has submitted an in-depth study to the country's caretaker prime minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi, requesting the procurement of the Russian-built long-range, surface-to-air S-400 missile defense system.
- Two Rockets Land in Vicinity of Chinese Oil Company Site in Iraq – Military Centre Sputnik 18 Apr 2020 -- Two rockets have fallen in the vicinity of a site belonging to a Chinese oil company in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, Iraq's military communications centre said on Saturday.
- Coronavirus Is 'Break, Not Defeat', Iraqi Activists Say VOA 17 Apr 2020 -- We first met Ali Almikdam in late January. Along with thousands of others, he had been living in a tent in Baghdad's Tahrir Square for about four months, protesting the government.
- Turkey's deadly drone strike on Iraqi refugee camp draws angry reactions Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- Turkey has launched a deadly drone strike on a refugee camp in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, drawing angry reactions from Iraqi politicians of different factions, who censured the attack as a violation of the Arab country's sovereignty.
- Iraqi PM-designate says resolved to end illegal foreign military presence Press TV 15 Apr 2020 -- Iraq's Prime Minister-designate Mustafa al-Kadhimi has expressed his resolve to bring an end to any illegal presence of foreign boots on the ground in the Arab country, saying Baghdad will soon hold talks with Washington in this regard.
- Iraqi parties require PM-designate to end US-led military presence: MP Press TV 14 Apr 2020 -- An Iraqi parliamentarian says the country's political parties have conditioned approving Prime Minister-designate Mustafa al-Kadhimi's cabinet on his acting on a law approved by the parliament that mandates evacuation of US-led forces.
- Political Situation in Iraq US Dept. of State 13 Apr 2020 -- "The United States looks forward to the formation of a new Iraqi Government capable of confronting the COVID-19 pandemic, ameliorating the country's current economic distress, and bringing arms under state control."
- Iran supports any prime minister winning Iraqi parliament's vote of confidence IRNA 12 Apr 2020 -- Iran's ambassador to Baghdad Iraj Masjedi said on Sunday that Iran supports any prime minister chosen in a legal process winning the vote of confidence of the Iraqi Parliament.
- US steps up intrusion as Iraq's new PM seeks to form govt. Press TV 12 Apr 2020 -- Iraq's Prime Minister-designate Mustafa al-Kadhimi has been trying to set up a new cabinet amid public calls for social welfare and the withdrawal of US occupation forces from the Arab country.
- Iraq's New PM-Designate Vows to Uphold Sovereignty as US Deploys Patriots Sputnik 12 Apr 2020 -- The nomination of Mustafa al-Kadhimi as prime minister has become Iraq's third attempt in 10 weeks to break a political deadlock that has lasted months. He is set to prove that he is better-equipped than two previous nominees, and the caretaker prime miniestr, to navigate the relationship with Tehran and Washington and tackle social unrest.
- Iraq's PM-designate Scrambles to Assemble Cabinet VOA 11 Apr 2020 -- Iraq's Prime Minister-designate Mustafa Kadhimi met with top members of the outgoing government Saturday to try to put together a new cabinet quickly, amid a rare level of support from the country's political establishment at a time of serious internal and external crises.
- US keeps forces in Iraq, puts missile systems into operation Press TV 11 Apr 2020 -- US officials say hundreds of their troops will remain in Iraq, noting that missile systems are now operating in the bases hosting the occupation forces.
- US Troops Hunker Down in Iraq, Deploy Patriots at Bases Struck by Iranian Missiles Sputnik 11 Apr 2020 -- Washington's assassination of a senior Iranian commander in Baghdad in January prompted Iraqi authorities to demand the immediate remove of US forces from the country. America has gradually reducing its troop presence in the Middle Eastern nation in recent months, but has dragged its feet on making any commitment to complete withdrawal.
- Iraq's new choice for Prime Minister suggests defeat of US pressure Press TV 11 Apr 2020 -- Iraq has designated a new Prime Minister that, contrary to his two predecessors, apparently enjoys inclusive support from the various political blocs in a development that suggests the defeat of the United States' attempts at forcing its choice on the Arab nation.
- Iraqi forces launch second phase of operation along border with Jordan, Saudi Arabia Press TV 10 Apr 2020 -- Iraqi army troops and fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) have launched the second phase of a major military operation to purge the westernmost part of Anbar province along the border with Jordan and Saudi Arabia of the remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
- Iraq's national sovereignty is my red line: PM-designate Press TV 10 Apr 2020 -- The newly-designated prime minister has said that the success of Iraq's international relations will be based on "respect and cooperation."
- Iran's Foreign Ministry welcomes nomination of Iraq's new PM-designate Press TV 09 Apr 2020 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry felicitates Iraq on the nomination of a new prime minister-designate, calling the move a step in the right direction.
- Iraq's Saleh tasks PM-designate Kadhimi with forming new government Press TV 09 Apr 2020 -- Iraqi President Barham Saleh has officially tasked prime minister-designate Mustafa al-Kadhimi with forming a government after the intelligence chief received the endorsement of the majority of the country's top political figures.
- Zurfi withdraws candidacy for premiership as parties endorse Kadhimi Press TV 09 Apr 2020 -- Iraq's Prime Minister-designate Adnan al-Zurfi has withdrawn his candidacy for the post as major political factions endorse intelligence chief Mustafa Al Kadhimi to form a government.
- Iraq's PMU, army launch major anti-terror operation Press TV 09 Apr 2020 -- Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) and army troops have started a joint, full-scale anti-terrorism military operation in the Arab country's western province of Anbar.
- US forces preparing to withdraw from base west of Baghdad Press TV 07 Apr 2020 -- The US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh terror group in Iraq is reportedly preparing to evacuate troops from a military base in the city of Abu Gharib, west of the capital Baghdad.
- Coronavirus Cases Rise to 1031 in Iraq SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- The total number of the confirmed Coronavirus cases in Iraq rose to 1031 after reporting 70 new cases during the past 24 hours.
- US intends to assassinate Iraqi PMU commanders: Iraqi MP Press TV 06 Apr 2020 -- A member of the Iraqi parliament's security and defense committee has warned against the ulterior objectives behind redeployment of US troops to various military sites across the Arab country, saying Washington is drawing up plans to target commanders of the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi.
- Rockets hit near foreign oil firms in Basra amid alert in Iraq Press TV 06 Apr 2020 -- Several rockets have landed near offices of foreign and Iraqi oil companies in the southern city of Basra, the military says, amid warnings of false-flag US operation aimed at creating further unrest in the country.
- Rockets Hit Near Site of Foreign Oil Firms, State-Run Companies in Iraq's Basra - Reports Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- In late March, the US military deployed its Patriot missile defence system to the Ayn al-Asad base in Iraq in a move to "protect against another potential Iranian attack".
- Iraq: UN health agency helps beat 'latest bottleneck' in COVID-19 battle UN News 05 Apr 2020 -- With a global shortage of supplies and equipment to fight the deadly coronavirus pandemic, the UN health agency has assisted in successfully producing urgently needed laboratory items for testing suspected COVID-19 cases in Iraq.
- PMU anti-terror forces vow to end US 'occupation' of Iraq Press TV 04 Apr 2020 -- Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known by their Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, have blasted the US forces based in their country as "occupiers", pledging to bring the occupation of the Arab country to an end.
- NATO says plans to expand mission in Iraq Press TV 04 Apr 2020 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg says the military alliance has decided to expand its mission in Iraq by training personnel for the Iraqi army and security forces.
- CENTCOM confirms deploying new Patriot missiles to Iraq Press TV 04 Apr 2020 -- US Central Command (CENTCOM) has confirmed the deployment of new Patriot missile systems to Iraq amid calls for the withdrawal of American troops from the Arab country.
- Answering Ayatollah Sistani's call, Iraqis support those in need amid coronavirus outbreak Press TV 04 Apr 2020 -- Thousands of people across Iraq have begun a full-fledged campaign to support those in need in the Arab country following a call by the country's most prominent Shia cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani to help the people, irrespective of their race or religion, amid the deadly novel coronavirus pandemic.
- Iraq Protesters Confront Security Forces as PM-designate Presents Agenda to Parliament VOA 04 Apr 2020 -- Iraqi Prime Minister-designate Adnan Zurfi presented his agenda Saturday to Parliament as government security forces clashed with protesters defying a government-imposed curfew. More than a dozen Iraqi police reportedly were wounded when protesters in Nasiriya threw gasoline bombs at police, who were firing tear gas at them.
- Iraq Suspends Reuters License Over COVID-19 Report VOA 03 Apr 2020 -- An international press watchdog says Iraqi officials have suspended Reuters news agency's license for three months after the British wire service reported that confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country exceeded official statistics.
- Latest Iranian Plotting Worrisome, Not Surprising, US Officials Say VOA 03 Apr 2020 -- Recent intelligence suggesting Iranian-backed forces in Iraq are actively plotting to hit U.S. troops may have stirred a new war of words between Washington and Tehran on social media, but it has done little to shock U.S. defense officials.
- Iraq Reports 44 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 02 Apr 2020 -- The Iraqi Health Ministry announced today that the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in Iraq rose to 772 with 44 new cases in several Iraqi cities.
- Iraq's PMU warns Trump not to take any hostile action against Iraqis, resistance groups Press TV 02 Apr 2020 -- Iraq's Kata'ib Hezbollah resistance group, which is part of the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), has warned US President Donald Trump about taking any hostile measures against the Iraqi nation and resistance groups.
- Zarif rejects Trump's claim amid tensions in Iraq, says Iran won't initiate any war Press TV 02 Apr 2020 -- Iran's top diplomat has dismissed US President Donald Trump's claim that Tehran is about to launch an attack on American troops in Iraq, reaffirming the stance that the Islamic Republic will not initiate any war but it will decisively respond to aggression.
- Zarif Says Iran 'Only Acts In Self-Defense' After Trump's Warning RFE/RL 02 Apr 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said his country "only acts in self-defense" after U.S. President Donald Trump warned Tehran of a "heavy price" if it or its allies attack U.S. troops or assets in Iraq.
- Seven Confirmed Cases, One Death of Coronavirus in Iraqi Community Abroad SPA 01 Apr 2020 -- The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced in a press statement issued today that the confirmed new cases of the Coronavirus in Iraqi community abroad are seven and the deaths are one.
- US forces withdraw from strategic airbase in Iraq's Anbar, to officially hand it over next week Press TV 01 Apr 2020 -- An Iraqi security source says a group of American troops, who are part of the US-led military coalition purportedly formed to fight the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, has pulled out of a strategic airbase in Iraq's western province of Anbar and moved to another military site in the country.
- Trump Warns Iran Of 'Heavy Price' If U.S. Attacked In Iraq RFE/RL 01 Apr 2020 -- President Donald Trump has warned Iran of a "heavy price" if it or its allies in Iraq attack U.S. troops or assets in Iraq.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list