Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2019 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- SD Statement on Deployment of 82nd Airborne Division DoD 31 Dec 2019 -- "''At the direction of the Commander in Chief, I have authorized the deployment of an infantry battalion from the Immediate Response Force (IRF) of the 82nd Airborne Division to the U.S. Central Command area of operations in response to recent events in Iraq."
- DOD Statement on Iraq From Secretary Esper DoD 31 Dec 2019
- Pentagon deploying extra troops to Baghdad after embassy attack by protesters Press TV 31 Dec 2019 -- US Defense Secretary Mark Esper has announced that the United States is sending additional troops to Baghdad to provide security for the American embassy there following an attack by protesters.
- Secretary Pompeo's Calls with Iraqi Prime Minister Abdul-Mahdi and President Salih US Dept. of State 31 Dec 2019
- US Embassy in Iraq evacuated amid angry protests over airstrike on PMU Press TV 31 Dec 2019 -- The United States' Embassy in Baghdad has been evacuated after thousands of angry Iraqi demonstrators gathered outside the gates of the compound to condemn Washington's fatal military aggression that targeted Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU).
- Injuries Reported After Protesters Storm U.S. Embassy Compound In Iraq Following Strikes RFE/RL 31 Dec 2019 -- Protesters have stormed the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad to condemn recent U.S. air strikes that killed at least 25 members of an Iran-backed militant group, causing Iraqi security forces and compound guards to fire tear gas and stun grenades to disperse the crowd.
- Iraqi National Security Council Vows to Revise Ties With Intl Coalition, US Forces Sputnik 31 Dec 2019 -- The Pentagon claimed earlier it had carried out "defensive strikes" against five Kata'ib Hezbollah facilities in Iraq and Syria in an alleged response to a rocket attack on Friday that killed a US contractor at a Kirkuk base north of Baghdad.
- Iraqi Protesters Attack US Embassy Compound in Baghdad VOA 31 Dec 2019 -- Hundreds of Iraqi protesters stormed the perimeter of the U.S. embassy compound in Baghdad's fortified Green Zone, setting fire to one of its gates with some reportedly entering the building. Most of those involved in the attack appear to belong to pro-Iranian Shi'ite parties, which are upset about a U.S. airstrike on a pro-Iranian Kataeb Hezbollah militia base in the Iraqi border town of al-Qaim, which killed at least 25 people.
- Iraqi Politicians Condemn US Strike on Pro-Iran Shi'ite Militia VOA 31 Dec 2019 -- Multiple Iraqi politicians condemned U.S. airstrikes on the pro-Iranian Shi'ite Kataib Hezbollah militia Sunday, which left 25 dead and over 50 wounded, according to Iraqi government TV. Local reports say the group is becoming increasingly unpopular with large segments of the Iraqi public. Iraq's Parliament met Monday to debate the U.S.'s action, but failed to muster a quorum.
- Iraq to summon U.S. ambassador over attack on Hashd Shaabi bases People's Daily 31 Dec 2019 -- The Iraqi Foreign Ministry announced Monday that it will summon the U.S. ambassador in Baghdad over U.S. attacks that killed 25 people and injured 51 others.
- Iraq's Sadr says ready to work with Hashd al-Sha'abi to end US presence Press TV 31 Dec 2019 -- Senior Iraqi Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr says he is willing to work with the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) -- better known as Hashd al-Sha'abi -- to end the United States military presence in Iraq through political and legal means.
- IRGC Slams US Airstrikes in Iraq, Says People, PMF 'Reserve the Right to Retaliate' - Report Sputnik 31 Dec 2019 -- On Sunday, US forces conducted airstrikes targeting five facilities of the Kata'ib Hezbollah, a Shia militia claimed to be part of the Iraqi government-allied Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) in Iraq and Syria, leaving at least 25 people dead and over 50 others injured.
- IRGC condemns US attack on Iraq's PMF IRNA 30 Dec 2019 -- The Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) in a statement on Monday strongly condemned the US attack on Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) claiming lives of scores of people.
- Iran raps US military aggression on Iraq IRNA 30 Dec 2019 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi slammed US aggression on Iraqi soil and on Popular Mobilization Forces (Hashd al-Shabi) as clear example of terrorism. Hash al-Shabi mobilization forces played major role in fighting ISIS on the ground.
- Iran strongly condemns US terrorist attack on Iraq ISNA 30 Dec 2019 -- Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Seyyed Abbas Mousavi has strongly condemned the US military attack against the Iraqi forces and territory.
- Top cleric condemns US strikes on PMU bases, urges respect for Iraq sovereignty Press TV 30 Dec 2019 -- Iraq's most prominent Shia cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani has vehemently condemned recent US airstrikes on several bases of the Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), where more than two dozen fighters were killed.
- Iraqi forces, people entitled to retaliate US attack on PMU bases: IRGC Press TV 30 Dec 2019 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has strongly condemned the United States' latest military aggression against Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), commonly known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, saying Iraqis reserve the right to retaliate such a "crime."
- Iran dismisses US baseless claim about involvement in attack on American forces in Iraq Press TV 30 Dec 2019 -- The Iranian government spokesman has vehemently dismissed the United States' unsubstantiated claim about the Islamic Republic's involvement in a rocket attack on an Iraqi military base housing US and Iraqi forces in the Arab country's north, which the US used as an excuse to attack the bases of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units last night.
- Iraq's Top Shia Cleric Blasts US Airstrikes, Says Washington Must Respect Country's Sovereignty Sputnik 30 Dec 2019 -- The spiritual leader joined other Iraqi leaders, including President Bahram Silah and caretaker Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi, in criticising Sunday's US airstrikes, which targeted five Iraqi and Syrian facilities hosting the Baghdad-allied Kata'ib Hezbollah Shia militia group.
- Iraqi-US Ties in Jeopardy as Baghdad Blasts US Over Strikes on Shia Militia Group Sputnik 30 Dec 2019 -- US forces carried out airstrikes against five facilities belonging to Iraqi Shia militia group Kata'ib Hezbollah on Sunday, killing over two dozen people and injuring over 50 more following Friday's deadly rocket attack on a US military base in northern Iraq.
- US Brushes Off Iraqi Criticism of Airstrikes VOA 30 Dec 2019 -- The United States is defending the use of airstrikes on Sunday to target an Iranian-backed militia in Iraq and Syria, warning it could strike again, despite criticism from top Iraqi officials and renewed threats from the militia itself.
- Esper Says Strikes in Syria and Iraq Successful, Officials Initially Discussed Options With Trump Sputnik 30 Dec 2019 -- Earlier on Sunday, US forces carried out strikes targeting five Kata'ib Hezbollah facilities in Syria and Iraq, including weapons storage locations and command and control bases. Esper said that Washington was ready for additional measures against Iran, if and when necessary.
- US Drone Attacks in Iraq Leave 19 Fighters Killed, 35 Injured - Iraqi Paramilitary Forces Sputnik 30 Dec 2019 -- The death toll from the drone attacks of the United States against Kata'ib Hezbollah militia in Iraq stands at 25, with 51 people injured, the Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces, also known as Hashd al-Shaabi, said in a statement on Monday. Earlier, Hashd al-Shaabi reported of 19 people killed and 35 others injured.
- Statement From Assistant to the Secretary of Defense Jonathan Hoffman DoD 29 Dec 2019 -- In response to repeated Kata'ib Hizbollah (KH) attacks on Iraqi bases that host Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR) coalition forces, U.S. forces have conducted precision defensive strikes against five KH facilities in Iraq and Syria that will degrade KH's ability to conduct future attacks against OIR coalition forces.
- U.S. Conducts Air Strikes On Iran-Linked Paramilitary Group In Iraq, Syria RFE/RL 29 Dec 2019 -- The United States said on December 29 that it had bombed five targets in Iraq and Syria controlled by an Iraqi Shi'a paramilitary group with suspected ties to Iran's elite Quds Force.
- US Carries Out 'Defensive Strikes' Against Five Shia Militia Facilities in Syria and Iraq Sputnik 29 Dec 2019 -- The strikes follow a rocket attack on a base in northern Iraq on Friday which the US claims was likely carried out by an Iran-allied militia group.
- Iraqi President condemns US attack on PMU bases as death toll reaches 25 Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Iraqi President Barham Salih has condemned Washington's attacks on Kata'ib Hezbollah, which is part of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), as the death toll from the attack reaches more than two dozen.
- Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units confirm US attack on their base in Anbar Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), commonly known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, say US forces in the country have carried out an airstrike on a number of their facilities in the western Anbar province, reporting casualties.
- Rioters shut down Iraqi oilfield as unrest continues Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Protesters have shut down a southern oilfield, cutting off electricity to the facility in the latest wave of riots which have overshadowed peaceful protests and crippled the country.
- Protesters in Iraq Reportedly Shut Down Southern Nassiriya Oil Field Sputnik 28 Dec 2019 -- Over 450 people have been killed in Iraq since mass protests started in the country in early October; demonstrators accuse the political system of being "corrupt".
- Iraqi resistance groups decry Salih's resignation as submission to US interests Press TV 28 Dec 2019 -- Iraqi resistance groups have denounced President Barham Salih's resignation as a violation of the constitution and have accused him of caving in to pressure from the United States.
- Iraqi Protesters Shut Down Southern Oil Field RFE/RL 28 Dec 2019 -- Protesters in Iraq have shut down a southern oil field and forced a cutoff of electricity at the facility amid ongoing unrest that has wracked the capital and much of southern Iraq since public anger first boiled over nearly three months ago.
- Daesh attack on Iraq's Samarra repelled by Hashd al-Sha'abi forces Press TV 27 Dec 2019 -- The Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known by their Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, says it has fought off an attack by the Daesh terrorist group against an area south of the Iraqi city of Samarra.
- Iraqi president submits resignation after rejecting nominee for prime minister Press TV 26 Dec 2019 -- Iraqi President Barham Salih has submitted his resignation to parliament after refusing to designate the nominee for premiership, Assad al-Eidani, arguing that he would rather step down than appoint the position to a figure strongly rejected by protesters.
- Iraq President Refuses to Nominate Parliament's Prime Minister Pick VOA 26 Dec 2019 -- Iraqi President Barham Saleh said Thursday he would rather resign than appoint a prime minister chosen by a bloc in parliament that is influenced by Iran.
- Four Blasts Across Baghdad Injure at Least 13 Civilians - Source Sputnik 25 Dec 2019 -- Four explosions hit on Wednesday the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, leaving at least 13 people injured, a source in the country's security services said.
- Iraqi Parliament Approves New Electoral Law - Reports Sputnik 25 Dec 2019 -- Iraq's unicameral legislature, the Council of Representatives, approved a new electoral law, which was a key demand of protesters seeking to make elections fairer, however, it did not break a political deadlock as an interim Prime Minister is still to be selected, media reported.
- Iraq parliament approves new electoral law Press TV 24 Dec 2019 -- In a move to stem public anger and drawn-out street protests, Iraq's parliament has approved a new electoral law, which enables the electorate to choose individual candidates instead of picking from party lists.
- Iraqi Parliament Approves New Election Law RFE/RL 24 Dec 2019 -- Iraq's parliament has approved a new electoral law aimed at giving political independents a better chance of winning seats, a key demand of protesters to make elections fairer.
- Iraqi Politicians Miss Deadline for New Prime Minister VOA 23 Dec 2019 -- Thousands of Iraqis protested Monday in Baghdad and other parts of the country after politicians missed an overnight deadline for naming a new prime minister.
- Daesh rears head again amid unrest in Iraq, kills four policemen Press TV 22 Dec 2019 -- Daesh terrorists have killed four police officers at a checkpoint in Iraq's Salahuddin province after reports that the US and its regional allies were trying to facilitate the resurgence of the Takfiri outfit in the Arab country.
- Iraqis Protest In Streets Ahead Of Prime Ministerial Deadline RFE/RL 22 Dec 2019 -- Thousands of Iraqis protested in the capital and in southern Iraqi cities on December 22 ahead of a midnight deadline to pick an interim prime minister, saying the current nominee is too friendly with Tehran.
- Thousands Protest in Iraq Ahead of Deadline to Name New PM VOA 22 Dec 2019 -- Thousands of Iraqis took to the streets Sunday ahead of a midnight deadline to name an interim prime minister.
- Ayatollah Sistani demands early elections to end crisis in Iraq Press TV 20 Dec 2019 -- Iraq's prominent Shia cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani has called for early elections in order to put an end to a months-long political paralysis in the country, saying that a new government should be formed soon.
- US forces detain top Hashd al-Sha'abi commander in western Iraq Press TV 19 Dec 2019 -- US military forces have reportedly conducted an operation and arrested a leader of tribal fighters affiliated to the Iraqi pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) in the country's western province of Anbar, but refused to give any reasons for the detention.
- Over 100 children born to Daesh terrorists to repatriated to Turkey from Iraq Press TV 18 Dec 2019 -- The Iraqi Foreign Ministry says a group of more than one hundred Turkish children, whose parents are being held in the Arab country for membership in the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, are going to be repatriated from Baghdad later this month.
- 'US State Department to cut Iraq-based personnel by third' Press TV 18 Dec 2019 -- The US State Department reportedly plans to significantly and permanently draw down the number of its personnel in Iraq.
- Iraq warns against 'escalation' in wake of attacks on US military bases Press TV 16 Dec 2019 -- In the wake of a series of attacks on US military bases in Iraq that prompted Washington to blame Iran, Baghdad has warned against "an escalation."
- Ex-Iraqi PM censures US blacklisting of counter-terror figures Press TV 15 Dec 2019 -- Former Iraqi prime minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi has condemned a recent decision by the United States to slap sanctions on leaders of the pro-government Popular Mobilization Forces (PMU) or Hashd al-Sha'abi.
- US threatens Iran over attacks on military bases in Iraq Press TV 14 Dec 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has threatened Iran with "decisive" action over a series of attacks on American military bases in Iraq.
- Hashd Sha'abi supporters rally in Baghdad to condemn US interference, sanctions Press TV 14 Dec 2019 -- Thousands of supporters of the Iraqi pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) have staged a rally in the capital Baghdad to express their resentment over the United States' interference in Iraq's internal affairs after the Treasury Department imposed sanctions on several leaders of the voluntary forces.
- Pompeo Warns Iran Over Attacks By 'Proxies' In Iraq RFE/RL 13 Dec 2019 -- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has warned Iran of a "decisive" response if U.S. interests are harmed in Iraq following rocket attacks on bases used by U.S. troops.
- On Attacks by Iran's Proxies in Iraq US Dept. of State 13 Dec 2019 -- "Iran's proxies have recently conducted several attacks against bases where Iraqi Security Forces are co-located with U.S. and International Coalition personnel."
- Seven Hashd Sha'abi fighters killed in bomb attack in northern Iraq Press TV 12 Dec 2019 -- At least seven fighters from the Iraqi pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) have lost their lives and several others sustained injuries when a massive bomb explosion struck their convoy in Iraq's north-central province of Salahuddin.
- Two rockets fall near Baghdad International Airport: Iraqi military Press TV 12 Dec 2019 -- The Iraqi army says two Katyusha rockets have landed near the "outside perimeter" of Baghdad International Airport.
- US Military Evacuate 300 Relatives of Daesh Militants From Syrian Camp to Iraq - Reports Sputnik 12 Dec 2019 -- The US military evacuated about 300 family members of militants of the Daesh* terrorist group from the Al-Hawl camp in northern Syria to Iraq, Syrian state television reported on Wednesday.
- Iraqi commission summons, orders arrest of over 250 current, former officials over corruption Press TV 09 Dec 2019 -- The Iraqi Commission of Integrity has summoned or issued arrest warrants against more than 250 former and acting officials on suspicion of corruption, as part of the government's reforms after a wave of protests over unemployment, corruption and lack of public services hit the country.
- Missiles hit Iraqi military complex housing US troops, six injured Press TV 09 Dec 2019 -- Six Iraqi troops have been injured after several rockets hit a military complex that also houses US forces near Baghdad airport, the Iraqi army says.
- Iraqi Parliament Agrees Candidacy for Prime Minister Amid Street Protests Sputnik 09 Dec 2019 -- The factions in the Iraqi parliament agreed on Monday on the candidacy of the future prime minister, lawmaker Nahida Diani stated.
- Denouncing attacks against Baghdad protesters, UN warns 'violence risks placing Iraq on dangerous trajectory' UN News 07 Dec 2019 -- The top UN official in Iraq has strongly condemned the shooting of unarmed protesters in Baghdad on Friday night, which left a high number of deaths and injuries among innocent citizens, calling for the perpetrators to be "identified and brought to justice without delay".
- Iraqi MPs slam US' blacklisting of anti-terrorism commanders Press TV 07 Dec 2019 -- Iraqi lawmakers have slammed the US' blacklisting of a number of the country's anti-terrorism commanders amid reports of a drone strike that hit somewhere near the residence of an influential anti-American Iraqi leader.
- US imposes sanctions on three Iraqi Hashd al-Sha'abi leaders Press TV 07 Dec 2019 -- The administration of US President Donald Trump has slapped sanctions on three leaders of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Forces or Hashd al-Sha'abi, an umbrella paramilitary group that has actively cooperated with the national army in sweeping counter-terrorism operations.
- Iraqi Leader al-Sadr's Najaf Home Attacked by Drone Strike of Unknown Origin - Report Sputnik 07 Dec 2019 -- Muqtada Al-Sadr's popularity has been coming under strain in recent days among both protestors and Iran-backed forces. The latter has been frustrated by his continued declarations of support for the ongoing anti-government protests that have brought the country to a near total political and economic standstill.
- Assistant Secretary for Near Eastern Affairs David Schenker On Iraqi Global Magnitsky Designations US Dept. of State 06 Dec 2019
- US Imposes Sanctions on Iraqi Militia Leaders Linked to Iran VOA 06 Dec 2019 -- The United States imposed sanctions Friday on three Iranian-backed Iraqi militia leaders over their alleged role in violently suppressing protests that have shaken Iraq.
- U.S. Hits Iran-Linked Iraqi Militias With Sanctions RFE/RL 06 Dec 2019 -- The United States has imposed sanctions on three Iranian-linked Iraqi militia leaders for allegedly assisting the violent repression on protests that have swept the country.
- On Sanctioning Those Involved in Killing Protestors and Corruption in Iraq US Dept. of State 06 Dec 2019 -- "The United States recently expressed its commitment to using its legal authorities to sanction corrupt individuals stealing the Iraqi people's public wealth and killing and wounding peaceful protesters."
- Treasury Sanctions Iran-Backed Militia Leaders Who Killed Innocent Demonstrators in Iraq US Treasury 06 Dec 2019 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated three leaders of Iran-backed militias in Iraq that opened fire on peaceful protests, killing dozens of innocent civilians.
- Iraq's Top Shi'ite Cleric Urges Selection of New PM With No Outside Ties VOA 06 Dec 2019 -- Iraq's top Shi'ite religious leader, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, called on the country's political leaders Friday not to choose a new prime minister with ties to outside countries, ostensibly referring to Iran and the U.S.
- No Plans to Leave Iraq, Defense Official Says DoD News 05 Dec 2019 -- The U.S. military presence in Iraq is predicated on permission to be there from the Iraqi government, and U.S. forces will remain so long as the Iraqi government agrees, the undersecretary of defense for policy said.
- Iraqis hold mass rally in Baghdad to back religious authority Press TV 05 Dec 2019 -- Iraqis have taken to the streets of the capital, Baghdad, in a show of support for the country's religious authority, who has demanded peaceful anti-government protesters distance themselves from saboteurs.
- Two Mortars Land Inside Balad Air Base in Iraq - Reports Sputnik 05 Dec 2019 -- Two mortars reportedly landed inside the Balad Air Base in Iraq late Thursday, reports have revealed. There are no indications of casualties presently.
- US Intelligence Claims Iran Secretly Storing Short-Range Ballistic Missiles in Iraq - Report Sputnik 05 Dec 2019 -- Tehran has allegedly taken advantage of the ongoing unrest in the neighboring nation to stockpile its secret arsenal of short-range ballistic missiles, US intelligence and military officials claim.
- Iraqi Security Forces Detain Late al-Baghdadi's Deputy Commander Sputnik 04 Dec 2019 -- The commander was detained in the northern Kirkuk province near the Hawija settlement. He was apprehended with a fake passport.
- Iraqi Parliament Gives President Salih 15 Days to Nominate New Prime Minister - Speaker Sputnik 04 Dec 2019 -- The speaker of the Iraqi parliament, Mohamed al-Halbousi, appealed on Wednesday to President Barham Salih to nominate a new prime minister within 15 days.
- Rockets hit Iraq military base gatecrashed by Trump, Pence Press TV 03 Dec 2019 -- A rocket barrage has hit a western Iraqi airbase accommodating American forces, which has notoriously hosted surprise visits by the US president and his second-in-command.
- Protests and civil unrest show 'renewed sense of patriotism' in Iraq, UN envoy tells Security Council UN News 03 Dec 2019 -- After decades of sectarian strife and conflict, "a renewed sense of patriotism has taken hold", the head of the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) told the Security Council on Tuesday.
- Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs David Schenker US Dept. of State 02 Dec 2019 -- Special Briefing by David Schenker, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs
- Senior State Department Official On the Developing Situation in Iraq US Dept. of State 02 Dec 2019
- Iraqi Protesters Torch Iranian Consulate For Second Time Within Week RFE/RL 01 Dec 2019 -- Police in Iraq's mostly Shi'ite southern city of Najaf say anti-government protesters have set fire to the Iranian Consulate in the restive city for the second time in a week.
- Iraq's parliament approves prime minister's resignation Press TV 01 Dec 2019 -- Iraq's parliament has approved the resignation of Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi, which came after top Shia cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani urged the parliament to "reconsider" its support for the incumbent government.
- Iraqi Parliament Approves Cabinet Resignation RFE/RL 01 Dec 2019 -- Iraq's parliament has approved the resignation of Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi's government after two months of protests that have left more than 400 people dead.
- Iraqi Parliament Approves Cabinet Resignation Sputnik 01 Dec 2019 -- The government of the Middle Eastern country is stepping down amid mass protests that have been rocking the capital of Baghdad and other cities across Iraq since October and which have led to dozens of deaths.
- Iraqi Parliament Accepts Prime Minister's Resignation VOA 01 Dec 2019 -- Iraq's parliament accepted Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi's resignation Sunday, but the move is not expected to end nearly two months of violent anti-government protests.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list