Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2019 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Israel 'Absolutely Behind' Attacks on Militia Bases in Iraq, Lawmaker Claims, Citing Probe Results Sputnik 30 Aug 2019 -- Earlier, a group of Iraqi lawmakers described the recent spate of airstrikes in the country allegedly conducted by Israel as a "declaration of war" by Tel Aviv.
- Iraqi MP calls for international coalition against Israel over attacks on Hashad al-Sha'abi Press TV 28 Aug 2019 -- An Iraqi lawmaker has called on the Baghdad government to forge an alliance with countries that have protracted disputes with the United States in order to strike Israel in the wake of recent airstrikes in the country against the positions of pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known as Hashd al-Sha'abi.
- Israel's Iraq strikes launched from Kurdish-held parts of Syria, backed by Saudi: Official Press TV 28 Aug 2019 -- A senior Iraqi official says the recent Israeli drone attacks targeting a pro-government military force in the Arab country had the backing of the Saudi regime and were launched from the areas controlled by US-backed Kurdish militants in neighboring Syria.
- 'Perseverance is key' to Iraq's future, UN envoy tells Security Council UN News 28 Aug 2019 -- Although Iraq is "hard at work building on progress made to date", a top United Nations official told the Security Council on Wednesday that decades of trouble continue to impact the present, but cautioned "we have not seen the end of it yet".
- US Mulls Steps to Degrade Influence of Iran-Backed Shia Militias in Iraq - Pence Sputnik 28 Aug 2019 -- The US is considering steps to weaken Iranian-backed Iraqi Shia militias in addition to sanctions it had imposed earlier on the militia leaders, Vice President Mike Pence told Iraqi Kurdistan Region President Nechirvan Barzani in a phone conversation, according to a press release on Tuesday.
- Iraqi armed forces ready to respond firmly to any aggression: Abdul-Mahdi Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi says his country's armed forces are fully prepared to respond firmly to any act of aggression launched either from outside or inside Iraq.
- Israeli attacks declaration of war on Iraqi nation: Parliamentary group Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- An Iraqi parliamentary bloc representing the country's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), or Hashd al-Sha'abi, says the recent Israeli acts of aggression targeting the pro-government military force amount to "a declaration of war" on the Arab country.
- Iraq President, Prime Minister Denounce Israeli Air Strikes RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- Iraq's leaders on August 26 condemned Israel's air strikes the previous day that struck bases and weapons caches belonging to Iraqi paramilitary groups.
- Readout of Vice President Mike Pence's Call with Iraqi Kurdistan Region President Nechirvan Barzani The White House 27 Aug 2019
- Statement on Recent Attacks in Iraq DoD 26 Aug 2019
- Iraqi Hashd al-Sha'abi forces shoot down reconnaissance drone over Nineveh Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Members of pro-government Popular Mobilization Units, better known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, have reportedly intercepted and targeted an unmanned aerial vehicle as it was flying in the skies over a region in the country's northern province of Nineveh.
- Iraq to take diplomatic, legal measures against sovereignty breach: Foreign ministry Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- A high-ranking Iraqi official says Baghdad will take all available diplomatic and legal actions to prevent the violation of Iraq's sovereignty and territorial integrity in the wake of recent airstrikes in the country against the positions of pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU).
- Hashd Sha'abi says Israel behind deadly drone attack in Iraq Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Iraq's pro-government Popular Mobilization Units, commonly known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, says Israel was behind a recent deadly drone attack that killed two people near the Syrian border.
- Turkish forces 'neutralize' dozens of PKK terrorists in Turkey, northern Iraq Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Turkish military forces have killed dozens of members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group during a string of counter-terrorism operations in the eastern part of the country and Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Iraq's Hashd al-Sha'abi downs spy drone Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Forces from the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) in Iraq have shot down a spy drone in the country's northern Province of Nineveh.
- Unknown Drone Attacks Shiite Movement's Vehicles in Iraq - Local Official Sputnik 25 Aug 2019 -- An unknown drone has attacked two military vehicles belonging to the Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF), an Iran-linked umbrella of mostly Shiite paramilitaries, in Al-Qaim district of the Iraqi province of Anbar, near the border with Syria, Ahmed Dilmi, the district's head, reported.
- Turkey Launches Pence-3 Operation in Northern Iraq Against Kurdish PKK - Military Sputnik 24 Aug 2019 -- The Turkish Defence Ministry announced on Saturday that it had launched a new operation on Friday dubbed Pence-3 (Claw-3) in northern Iraq targeting members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which it considers a terrorist organisation.
- Iraqi Hashd Sha'abi forces cleanse 6 Anbar villages of Daesh remnants Press TV 24 Aug 2019 -- Members of the pro-government Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), known as Hashd al-Sha'abi in Arabic, have managed to cleanse a number of villages in the country's western province of Anbar during the fourth phase of a major offensive to hunt down remnants of the terrorist group of Daesh.
- Israel carries out attacks targeting bases of Iraqi anti-terror forces 'in recent days': NYT Press TV 23 Aug 2019 -- Israel has carried out several attacks targeting bases of Iraqi anti-terror forces "in recent days", the New York Times reports.
- Iraq's Hashd al-Sha'abi forces shoot down spy drone over Baghdad Press TV 22 Aug 2019 -- Iraq's pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known by the Arabic word Hashd al-Sha'abi, says it has shot down an unidentified spy drone over capital Baghdad.
- Senior cleric demands govt. action against Iraq sovereignty violation Press TV 22 Aug 2019 -- Senior Iraqi cleric Ammar al-Hakim has called on Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi to adopt effective measures aimed at defending the country's sovereignty and territorial integrity in the wake of strong indications that the United States and the Israeli regime were involved in recent attacks on positions of pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU).
- Iraqi Paramilitary Force Accuses US and Israel of Military Base Attacks Sputnik 21 Aug 2019 -- An ammunition depot at Iraq's al-Saqr military base was hit by an explosion on 12 August, killing one person and leaving 13 injured. Weeks earlier, a similar blast took place at Amerli base.
- Drone Attack Suspected at Iraqi Shi'ite Ammunition Depot VOA 21 Aug 2019 -- An ammunition dump belonging to Iraqi Shi'ite militia forces – known popularly as al Hushd al-Shaabi – exploded Tuesday evening, following Arab media reports of a drone strike on the area near Balad Air Base, 60 kilometers (37 miles) north of Baghdad.
- US military forced to comply with orders to halt flights over Iraq Press TV 18 Aug 2019 -- The US military has been forced to comply with Iraqi demands to halt flying planes, helicopters and drones over the country after its prime minister warned that violating aircraft would be targeted by Iraq's air defense systems.
- Defense minister says Iran regards Iraq's security as its own IRNA 18 Aug 2019 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami on Sunday stressed the need to promote Iraq's defense capacities in dealing with potential threats, saying that improving the defense capability of the neighboring countries is among Iran's principled approach as we regard Iraq's security as our own .
- Dozens of Daesh militants killed in separate attacks across Iraq Press TV 13 Aug 2019 -- Iraqi government forces, supported by fighters from allied Popular Mobilization Units, have carried out separate clean-up operations against remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group across the country, killing dozens of the extremists in the process.
- 13 Injured in Central Baghdad After Munitions Explode at Ammunition Depot - Report Sputnik 12 Aug 2019 -- A huge explosion has taken place at a weapon depot inside a Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF) base near Dora in Baghdad, Al-Sumaria reported, citing a statement by a representative of the Iraqi Ministry of Health.
- Islamic State Working to Make US Military's Fears Come True VOA 10 Aug 2019-- In the 4½ months since U.S.-backed forces declared victory over the Islamic State terror group's last shred of territory in Syria, there has been a steady drumbeat of doubt.
- American surveillance drone crashes near Baghdad: Report Press TV 09 Aug 2019 -- An American surveillance drone has crashed northwest of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, according to a report.
- Turkish Airstrikes Against PKK Not Coordinated With Baghdad - Iraqi Lawmaker Sputnik 08 Aug 2019 -- Turkey's operations in northern Iraq against the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) are not coordinated with Baghdad, Sarkawt Shamsulddin, a member of the Iraqi Council of Representatives said.
- Iraq Purchasing Russian S-400 Systems Would Require Parliament Approval - Lawmaker Sputnik 08 Aug 2019 -- A potential purchase of Russian S-400 air defence systems by Iraq would require an approval of the country's parliament, but Iraq does not need such a weapon at present, Iraqi Council of Representatives member Sarkawt Shamsulddin said.
- Pentagon: Da'esh Slight Comeback Causing Stir in Region VOA 08 Aug 2019 -- A Pentagon report that the Islamic State terror group is making a resurgence in both Syria and Iraq is causing bit of a stir in the region, where most governments would like to see a definitive end to its saga.
- Daesh Boosted Clandestine Network in Iraq, Syria in April-June – Pentagon Sputnik 07 Aug 2019 -- The Islamic State terror group was boosting its clandestine network in Iraq and Syria in April-June, the 18th Lead Inspector General report on the Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR), issued by the Pentagon, said.
- Lead Inspector General for Operation Inherent Resolve | Quarterly Report to the United States Congress | April 1, 2019 – June 30, 2019 DOD OIG 06 Aug 2019 -- This is the 18th Lead Inspector General (Lead IG) report on Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR), the overseas contingency operation to combat the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS). The report covers the period April 1, 2019 to June 30, 2019, and summarizes the quarter’s key events and describes completed, ongoing, and planned Lead IG and partner agency oversight work related to OIR.
- Report Slams US Troop Pullout from Syria VOA 06 Aug 2019 -- U.S. plans to keep just a residual force in Syria to ensure the enduring defeat of the Islamic State may be on the verge of backfiring, with some military officials warning the strategy is giving the terror group new life.
- Iraqi Hashd al-Sha'bi forces purge 19 more villages south of Mosul of Daesh Press TV 06 Aug 2019 -- Iraq's pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), known in Arabic as Hashd al-Sha'abi, have successfully purged more than a dozen other villages in the southern part of the country's province of Nineveh during the third phase of a major offensive to hunt down remnants of the Daesh terrorist group.
- Iraqi Hashd al-Sha'abi forces cleanse areas in southern Nineveh of Daesh Press TV 05 Aug 2019 -- Members of the pro-government Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), known in Arabic as Hashd al-Sha'abi, have managed to cleanse more than a dozen villages in the southern part of the country's province of Nineveh during the third phase of a major offensive to hunt down remnants of the Daesh terrorist group.
- Special Envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS Ambassador James F. Jeffrey And Counterterrorism Coordinator Ambassador Nathan A. Sales US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2019 -- Special Briefing by James F. Jeffrey, Special Representative for Syria Engagement and Special Envoy to the Global Coalition To Defeat ISIS, Nathan A. Sales, Acting Under Secretary for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list